Canon EOS R5 / R6 overheating discussion all in one place

Andrew Reid

21 minutes ago, Django said:

Whaaaat? now that is pretty scary 😱 

It's honestly looking more & more grim. 

I really want an R5 but the A7S3 is calling my name if it proves to be a more reliable tool with not too many caveats.

Canon need to partner up with Tilta and include that cooling system in the box or else there is going to be a lot of angry campers out there!

I don't see how that peltier based solution can even work. I worked on them a long time ago and they were horrible inefficient, around 5% if you were lucky. 

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
5 minutes ago, Nezza said:

Canon should obviously fix this at the design level. 

That isn't going to happen though. Maybe on the R5 II in 4 years.

Some will argue the overheating was purposely overlooked by Canon as to not hurt the Cxxx sales.

Either way, external cooling seems to be best bet, Canon themselves recommend it (as ludicrous as it may sound).

Canon wont fix anything. And people who still think this is all a big 'mistake' or design flaw are clueless. 

This is the Cripple Hammer we were all expecting. Canon is still protecting their C-line. And they always will. 

Now they might have underestimated the damage to their brand and name. But none of this should come as a surprise. Of course Canon knows exactly what they are releasing. And why. 

4 minutes ago, Stab said:

Canon wont fix anything. And people who still think this is all a big 'mistake' or design flaw are clueless. 

This is the Cripple Hammer we were all expecting. Canon is still protecting their C-line. And they always will. 

Now they might have underestimated the damage to their brand and name. But none of this should come as a surprise. Of course Canon knows exactly what they are releasing. And why. 

I’ve been excited about it, expected it to work fine and put in my pre-order. Sadly, that pre-order is on the brink of death. The Cripple Hammer exists!!

Seeing videos of people using fridges, ice packs and fans just to help the camera work is just not acceptable. Even as a B-cam. People are going on that the non-HQ 4k mode can run forever, but what’s the point in buying this just to use the low quality mode? 

To get the most out of the R5 - the addition of RF lenses is a big investment and certainly not worth it with these issues being the elephant in the room on a shoot.

Its cool to see what Tilta has done, but I would find having an accessory like that really annoying. What if you have a beard? Haha. 

I’m still going to try the camera and rent it for a hard as nails shoot, with my EVA1 and GH5 at hand. See how it goes in the non-Youtuber real world. 

24 minutes ago, Stab said:

But none of this should come as a surprise. Of course Canon knows exactly what they are releasing. And why. 

If this was all a calculated move on Canon's part I'd suggest it may well turn out it wasn't that well calculated if it leads to cancelled orders, mass returns, brand damage and potentially class action lawsuits.  

This overheating is worse then I expected if you shoot photo's for an hour, you cant shoot any video anymore. Whut. In that case the camera is only for personal clips I guess, lets see how the tilta cooling performs. 

Anyhows we know the overheating problem is there and it sucks, but can we look into the other features of the camera. Like DR, highlight rolloff, rolling shutting, the ibis wobble. Strange that nobody did some comparison shots yet with other camera's like the S1H, pocket 6K(yes I know not full frame), F6, kinefinity mavo lf, c500 II.

47 minutes ago, Nezza said:

If this was all a calculated move on Canon's part I'd suggest it may well turn out it wasn't that well calculated if it leads to cancelled orders, mass returns, brand damage and potentially class action lawsuits.  

The alternative is that Canon releases not one, but two new expensive camera's without testing them and dumping it on the market as is and now no longer able to change anything to the design. Does that seem more realistic to you? Especially with canon's history of both reliable products and the Cripple Hammer? 

4 minutes ago, Stab said:

The alternative is that Canon releases not one, but two new expensive camera's without testing them and dumping it on the market as is and now no longer able to change anything to the design. Does that seem more realistic to you? Especially with canon's history of both reliable products and the Cripple Hammer? 

The alternative is that Canon actually delivers what it promises. Imagine that!

If people just keep making excuses and fail to hold Canon to account when they don't deliver you'll get exactly the cameras from Canon you deserve.

2 hours ago, Nezza said:

The good news keeps on coming! 

Thank god for Gerald. Respect. Tells us exactly what the limitations are so we can make informed buying decisions.

Frankly, I’m done talking about the R5/6. With this latest news they are practically useless to me. Unless things change in the future we are beating a dead horse now.

• Administrators

Yes got to respect Gerald. This is how I would have tested it as well. While nearly everyone else is failing to test it or covering up the results, he is actually shooting some intensive real-world use and getting to the point.

The S1H, I took it out at the height of a hot day, was shooting bursts (I always shoot bursts) and video for ages, but the fan didn’t even seem to come on

if you look at the size difference between the S1 line and the Canon and Sony models, I think that’s the main issue here, just The physics. Cramming Hot things into to tiny sealed bodies makes for poor ventilation.

i don’t know why the obsession with shrinking professional tools, for me it’s a lose lose, I prefer the larger ones in use and they don’t boil themselves.

I'm kinda impressed that Canon managed to tout groundbreaking features only to unleash possibly their biggest Canon Cripple Hammer of all time, all at once. 

2020 has been tumultuous, to say the least. There's a lot of uncertainty in the world right now, but one thing we can always depend on is Canon is gonna Canon. #Blessed

3 hours ago, Stab said:

There is surely no way that any self respecting  camera manufacturer would get people excited about 8K AND purposely cripple the camera by allowing it to overheat.

This would just give people the idea that you don't know how to engineer a product. 

Cripple it by leaving out the high end features, don't cripple it by making yourself look incompetent!

I think a cock up of epic proportions has happened somewhere along the way at Canon, this surely can't be deliberate.