Canon EOS R5 / R6 overheating discussion all in one place

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
5 minutes ago, agarabaghi said:

If it doesn’t void the warranty I’m ok with it. 

No, just goes against the back of the camera when the monitor is off to the side . Looks like they knew this was a problem a while ago.

Now you can do 50 minute 120 FPS takes !

3 minutes ago, Leica50mm said:

No, just goes against the back of the camera when the monitor is off to the side . Looks like they knew this was a problem a while ago.

Now you can do 50 minute 120 FPS takes !

Haha I just need 1-2 mins. I’ll be testing the issues myself if my pre order ships. Coming from zcam e2 I’m looking for the ibis benefits, full frame benefits, Af, and every so often the 8k option.

if it can match or beat the image quality of the e2 and provide Ibis and af I’ll be happy. I don’t shoot wedding or interviews. But I do use my camera in the sun / outdoors. 

https://www.newsshooter.com/2020/07/26/tilta-cooling-kit-for-the-canon-eos-r5/

I know the EOS R5 is just a camera, but imagine if a car company brought out a car and they didn’t put a big enough radiator in it and you could only drive it on certain days for a certain amount of time before you had to pull over, shut the engine down and wait till it was cool enough to start driving again.

Depending on what type of work you do, the overheating issues with the R5 and R6 may be a problem for you, or they may not be. It really is going to depend on a lot of variables. Personally, I would take reliability over specifications 100 times out of 100. Canon has certainly pushed the technology envelope with EOS R5, but that does seem to come at a cost.

In my personal view, and please feel free to disagree with me, if you are buying a camera where you would need to add an external cooling solution just to be able to use that camera, you are buying the wrong camera.

There are plenty of cameras out there to choose from and it is up to the individual to pick the right camera for the type of work that they do.

Updated statement from Matthew to be fair. 

This camera is nearly $7000 AUD.  It makes no sense.  Hybrid cameras are the jack of all trades, you expect compromise somewhere.  But I notice my z6 now goes for $2K aud. 

so I could get 2, plus a ninja, plus a full sound kit.  Or a D850 and a blackmagic pocket 6K. I dont think I could justify that sort of money simply for the convenience of having the one body.   

8 hours ago, noone said:

Ok, they are what they are, so how would you use them for more serious video (IE not my use)?   What real practical solutions are there?

My use probably (the opposite of ‘serious’ video use) and right now a very strong contender.

Hybrid photo/video wedding capture where I rarely shoot anything longer than 10 seconds, ie, typically around 150x 10 second clips over a 10 hour day (plus around 3000 still images) spread over 2 cameras. 

Camcorder for long stuff such as ceremony & speeches.

A pair of either with 28-70 f2 and 85 f2 could be a perfect match.

But it’s an expensive solution for me and currently ranked third behind Nikon & Fuji so will see where we are in Spring 2021.

For MONTHS I have been posting here and other places what my Canon insider contact told me in January. The R5 will have serious recording restrictions. He wouldn't tell me why specifically. He simply told me with a chuckle and rolling eyes and shaking head.

He knew a long time ago about this. Why?...because these cameras were specifically NOT designed to not overheat. They knew it last year and were 100% perfectly happy to allow it into the design.

Believe me....Canon EOS Cine cam managers were there in R5/R6 development meetings....and they all sleep very well at night knowing the R5/R6 "properly" overheat.

I warned everybody MONTHS ago and people just called me a negative synic.

Now look......he was 100% correct.

23 minutes ago, MrSMW said:

My use probably (the opposite of ‘serious’ video use) and right now a very strong contender.

Hybrid photo/video wedding capture where I rarely shoot anything longer than 10 seconds, ie, typically around 150x 10 second clips over a 10 hour day (plus around 3000 still images) spread over 2 cameras. 

Camcorder for long stuff such as ceremony & speeches.

A pair of either with 28-70 f2 and 85 f2 could be a perfect match.

But it’s an expensive solution for me and currently ranked third behind Nikon & Fuji so will see where we are in Spring 2021.

I actually mean what solution to be able to use the R5/R6.

From what i have seen, your particular use might be about the worst for an R5.

It seems if you shoot a lot of stills, you may not be able to shoot 4k video and a wedding photog is ALWAYS shooting.

Again, it isn't that it overheats but that after it does, it may well be near useless for quite a while (hope to be proven wrong).

Just an academic exercise for me but interesting.

I am going to go ahead and cut up my little peltier cooler but need a small saw I think as it is a tougher little thing than I expected.

If anyone at Canon cares about this whole issue they very least they should do is take this seriously and urgently start coming up with a solution and stop the release of these cameras. It'd also be nice of them to acknowledge that what Andrew is doing is actually *helping* Canon long-term.

And let's be clear everyone: Bloggers and Influencers *do* get paid either directly or indirectly to talk nice about company products (I was offered a few times, and declined every time), and in other cases (like with the DPreview "experts") they simply lack the technical know-how to do a proper review.

And like Andrew, I was all set to place my order, but this overheating issue is ridiculous and indeed it wouldn't surprise me if Canon gets a lawsuit if they release the cameras in their current form.

tiltaing-cooling-kit-module.jpg

I actually like what they did here, and if their claims are true it could be a decent workaround.

I do wonder about how the USB power works though, is it as simple as plugging it into the bodies USB-C port or do you need an external power bank?

Seriously to me it's not possible to pay this price and  pay again just to ensure that I don't have to worry about the reliability of the camera. I mean, the price of the camera body + price of the CF express  cards (or the atomos ninja V and a bunch of SSD) + price of the cage + price of this Tilta cooling system, we getting close to the 6000/6500 euros I think... 
This is insane to me. No reliability (needs more tests but for now it's very clear that there is a big problem about it), not practical at all (oops I shot more than 5mn let's take this Tilta fan out of my bag and attach it to the cam in order to cool it down a bit), and pricey with all thoses things just to be sure that it won't overheat too much (Ninja V + 2  1TB SSD + this FANkenstein from Tilta). 
Canon hit themselves really really hard with this overheating case.

Whaaaat? now that is pretty scary 😱 

It's honestly looking more & more grim. 

I really want an R5 but the A7S3 is calling my name if it proves to be a more reliable tool with not too many caveats.

Canon need to partner up with Tilta and include that cooling system in the box or else there is going to be a lot of angry campers out there!

12 minutes ago, Django said:

Canon need to partner up with Tilta and include that cooling system in the box or else there is going to be a lot of angry campers out there!

Having to add a fan like that to get more recording time (and I'm not convinced you'd get that much more) is a completely ridiculous state of affairs on a new 4 grand+ camera. Canon should obviously fix this at the design level.