Highly contradictory reviews on EOS R6 overheating limitation

Andrew Reid

1 hour ago, Andrew Reid said:

Shameful guy.

I watched out of curiosity, because all story becomes entertaining and symbolically interesting.

Rarely i had so negative impression - affected quasi friendly innocence, obvious contradictory claims with apparent goal not to be caught in easy quoted falsehood, highly slimy and cynically underestimating IQ of public by highlighting that he is not paid (with money directly, but via supported influence), than too long episode of ostensibly domestic stupid humor which has role of pumping illusion of intimacy with youtube spectator... This sugary fake behavior is so favorable in line with modern reign of hypocrisy - I don't know anything about guy and maybe about his other potential merits or achievements, but with such sort of exhibition of еxtremely shrewd fake spontaneity, he really stands out by his sort of (combination of) coating.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
  • Administrators
2 hours ago, Oliver Daniel said:

I did believe due to their excellent reliability over the years. I even pre-ordered, which I never do. 

Told my crew about the issues and they pretty much said “fuck that”, after with “but will they sort it? Will they?” Like they know how much benefit the R5 would bring to a shoot but genuinely upset and quite angry it would be released this way. “We’ve always got the GH5” they said. 🥳

My R5 order is on the brink of death. The R6 is dead. 

All I want is lightweight 10bit 422 full frame at 4k60fps (120 is bonus) with amazing AF for single shooter gimbal use. Stills also required but not a dealbreaker. 

Yeah for so much money, a shot loser, no thank you.

I don't care if it shoots 22K carrot gold, if it's going to serve up nothing but a blank screen in the middle of a shoot it can sod off!

7 minutes ago, Andrew Reid said:

Yeah for so much money, a shot loser, no thank you.

I don't care if it shoots 22K carrot gold, if it's going to serve up nothing but a blank screen in the middle of a shoot it can sod off!

Yep, as it sinks in and the dream fades away, I don’t want to have to worry if the camera will get through the shoot when I’ve got so much other things to prioritise. For many little things, I’m sure it will be “just fine”, but for pro work, “just fine” is not acceptable. 

My gut feeling is that the A7SIII will win the mirrorless king of video battle with hopefully a minimal Sony Cripple Hammer!! 

• Administrators
1 hour ago, newfoundmass said:

I'm curious to know if the cameras can overheat taking just photos, since it seems to make the camera quite hot when switching over to video after shooting them? 

It's bad enough that it overheats in video, but that's even worse. 

Video needs a sustained and constant data rate. If the CPU has to thermal throttle, or the CFExpress has to cool down and is thermally throttling too, then dropped frames will occur and other problems. Also the constantly high data rate and demanding processing causes the heat to keep rising and rising.

With stills, the camera is constantly supplying a live-view image to the EVF or back screen, but that image is pixel binned, low power, low quality compared to what's needed in 4K and 8K video mode. The camera stills heats up, it's still doing work, but it probably won't need to shut down completely. That said I'd be curious to see if there really is an extreme overheating phase in very hot ambient conditions where the entire camera shuts down and bang goes your photo shoot too.

If the sensor itself gets hot, you get increased noise.

It's all a bit of a shit-show really. If the camera gets hot in live-view and you end up with 0 minutes of 4K HQ, it may continue to shoot stills but becomes useless for us filmmakers. We have to leave the camera turned on and can't be babysitting it constantly.

• Administrators
54 minutes ago, Oliver Daniel said:

Yep, as it sinks in and the dream fades away, I don’t want to have to worry if the camera will get through the shoot when I’ve got so much other things to prioritise. For many little things, I’m sure it will be “just fine”, but for pro work, “just fine” is not acceptable. 

My gut feeling is that the A7SIII will win the mirrorless king of video battle with hopefully a minimal Sony Cripple Hammer!! 

Yeah, was really looking forward to getting an EOS R5. Now if I do it will only be to review it and to test it, then it'll go back and play no part in my creative tool bag. Even as a second camera. I can't think of a single shoot where I could risk it.