Highly contradictory reviews on EOS R6 overheating limitation

Andrew Reid

1 hour ago, phoberus said:

That's why I was also exited for the R6. But I would disagree that M43 is basically worse. The price difference to full format is also quite big with the lenses and to travel it needs more space. Both has advantages and disadvantages.

Again, I never said M43 was worse. I just prefer full frame photos more. When it comes to prices and weight of cameras, people have their own preference of what they can or cannot afford and what they consider too heavy. I can afford a full frame camera with 2 or 3 good lenses and carrying them when I travel is not an issue for me. You might say why not just get a DSLR? There are things about mirroless that I like, EVF is one of them.  

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
1 hour ago, newfoundmass said:

I mean he even said he's GLAD they didn't add any active cooling, like a fan, to the camera before bashing Sony ("I couldn't even live stream with the A7iii without it overheating and that's without recording!") and making jokes about the overheating on the R5. Because why would you wanna make a camera more usable?! Shameful. 

I wonder if Matti snapped any photos with this thing at all? Maybe 500 photos in 30C weather caused overheating, 300, 100, no...around 30 and your camera is bricked as far as video is concerned. That’s astonishing. A really low bar.

My family and I took a a leisurely hike up one of our favorite local creeks yesterday.. I took my GH5S to snap pictures and maybe catch a kingfisher on video/photo. I took about 50 photos and about 20 mins of video total (no kingfisher this time 😞 ). The R5 would have totally shit the bed in this less than demanding outing as far as video is concerned.

It’s purely a photo camera. It’s not even a hybrid in my opinion, or to be more forgiving, the worst hybrid camera. The EOS R would have performed 10x better in the situation.

6 minutes ago, Video Hummus said:

It’s purely a photo camera. It’s not even a hybrid in my opinion, or to be more forgiving, the worst hybrid camera. 

'worst hybrid' looks to be about right.

The problem is Canon pitch it as a hybrid from the absolute get go.

This is the opening headline from Canon's site on the R5:

"Re-think what you know about mirrorless cameras. The EOS R5 uncompromising performance will revolutionise your photography and filmmaking."

Next line:

"Whatever you shoot, however you shoot it, the EOS R5 will let you be creative in ways you simply couldn’t before. Capture sensational 45 megapixel photos at up to 20 frames per second*, or cinematic 12 bit 8K RAW video using the entire width of the camera’s sensor."

Canon are *leading* with the video capabilities for what appears to suffer from some of the worst overheating ever.

I probably wouldn’t care as much if the line-skipped or pixel-binned, or whatever it is, unlimited 4K24p mode didn’t look like garbage.

You have many shitty options:

1) Don’t take any photos and get about 20 mins of 4KHQ video that looks good with amazing AF

2) Take photos and loose the ability to take HQ video.

3) Take photos or video that gives your heartburn when you remind yourself you pain $4K for it.

It’s really too bad the R6 overheats in its modestly oversampled recording modes. I really wanted to have a solid FF mirrorless option. Still not here.

6 minutes ago, Video Hummus said:

I probably wouldn’t care as much if the line-skipped or pixel-binned, or whatever it is, unlimited 4K24p mode didn’t look like garbage.

You have many shitty options:

1) Don’t take any photos and get about 20 mins of 4KHQ video that looks good with amazing AF

2) Take photos and loose the ability to take HQ video.

3) Take photos or video that gives your heartburn when you remind yourself you pain $4K for it.

It’s really too bad the R6 overheats in its modestly oversampled recording modes. I really wanted to have a solid FF mirrorless option. Still not here.

What about the Tilta cooling option? 

Seems to be viable. Kind of embarrassing you have to buy a second party product to have your camera function but it is what it is.

I am still waiting on Dynamic range results from both cameras.

4 minutes ago, thebrothersthre3 said:

Seems to be viable. Kind of embarrassing you have to buy a second party product to have your camera function but it is what it is.

Not sure if that is really going to work, plastic is no a good conductor of heat, if the Tilta fan was on a metal surface I would agree, but we will have to wait, probably will increase the running time, but how long is the question.

6 minutes ago, thebrothersthre3 said:

Seems to be viable. Kind of embarrassing

I’m extremely doubtful of any pelter cooling solution. They don’t work with PC hardware they won’t work for this. If putting your camera in a fridge at 50F for 2 hours doesn’t improve performance this thing won’t either.

There is also some questions about how its powered. The fact they didn’t mention you can plug it in the camera means you now need an external battery. Which means a bigger rig. Which means you loose weather sealing on your $4K weather sealed camera.

It’s clever. It looks slick. Will it work? Probably not.

10 minutes ago, newfoundmass said:

Even if the Tilta contraption worked perfectly, I couldn't justify buying these cameras out of principal. Canon shouldn't be rewarded for this. 

add to that the new price for a working R5 now will be around $4.6K, and  you will still see a lot of canon fanboys flowing the web with so much love for the new toy. 

41 minutes ago, Video Hummus said:

LOL, took a scroll through the comments section of the Tilta page.  Other people pointing out the obvious and some people are triggered.

OK, I’ve had my fun with this. Eagerly awaiting news on A7SIII hoping we will finally get a good FF hybrid camera!

PNG image.png

The Tilta option is a complete joke..that's just not how thermodynamics works....the first problem is it is a weather sealed body, blowing ambient temp air onto the outside of a weather sealed body doesn't make it cool down any faster. The second problem is that the fan needs power, the sound will get picked up by any mic, you would only be able to use it away from your face and good luck if you are a woman trying to keep your hair from being pulled into the fan. 

Most importantly nothing about that design actually draws heat away from the body......typically you have cooling fins and a fan that draws cooler air across the fins which takes the heat away from the heat source. This is more like putting on a space suit and walking through the Sahara desert while a fan blows on the outside of your space helmet....totally useless.

21 minutes ago, herein2020 said:

The Tilta option is a complete joke..that's just not how thermodynamics works....the first problem is it is a weather sealed body, blowing ambient temp air onto the outside of a weather sealed body doesn't make it cool down any faster. The second problem is that the fan needs power, the sound will get picked up by any mic, you would only be able to use it away from your face and good luck if you are a woman trying to keep your hair from being pulled into the fan. 

Most importantly nothing about that design actually draws heat away from the body......typically you have cooling fins and a fan that draws cooler air across the fins which takes the heat away from the heat source. This is more like putting on a space suit and walking through the Sahara desert while a fan blows on the outside of your space helmet....totally useless.

Desperate nonsense from fan boys grasping at straws keen to justify their 4K purchase of a total lemon.

• Administrators
2 hours ago, Nezza said:

This is the opening headline from Canon's site on the R5:

"Re-think what you know about mirrorless cameras. The EOS R5 uncompromising performance will revolutionise your photography and filmmaking."

Next line:

"Whatever you shoot, however you shoot it, the EOS R5 will let you be creative in ways you simply couldn’t before. Capture sensational 45 megapixel photos at up to 20 frames per second*, or cinematic 12 bit 8K RAW video using the entire width of the camera’s sensor."

Consumer groups and lawyers need to take a close look at this.

I could release something with all sorts of made up claims, and if it doesn't do what it's sold to do, I am in the shit.

Canon need to do a recall.

• Administrators
4 hours ago, newfoundmass said:

"I think for most people the overheating is actually really insignificant and you'll probably never have to deal with it." - Matti Haapoja at 11:55 in the video. 

Anyone that says that, whether they're paid directly or not, is a shill. You have a responsibility, when people are looking at you to make purchasing decisions, to be blunt and not try to protect your relationship with a company at the expense of your viewers. 

Matti even starts off the video trying to dispel the notion that he's a Canon shill, ignoring the fact that even if he isn't paid directly by Canon and has turned down a business relationship with them, he still profits through YouTube revenue and the access he is given, which has helped him reach nearly a million subscribers. He clearly has benefitted from it, has no problem being used in Canon's marketing machine, and makes excuses and heaps praise on Canon. 

I mean he even said he's GLAD they didn't add any active cooling, like a fan, to the camera before bashing Sony ("I couldn't even live stream with the A7iii without it overheating and that's without recording!") and making jokes about the overheating on the R5. Because why would you wanna make a camera more usable?! Shameful. 

Shameful guy.

The other thing is, people should do tests in more than just one climate and season before saying blanket statements like nobody will notice the overheating. Same goes for people like Jordan Drake.

Just turning the camera on from cold and leaving it for an hour isn't a representative test, it's just one scenario out of 100's and there are literally a gazillion variables depending on the shoot.

It'd say the unpredictable nature of this problem is the worst thing about it.

If the camera hard a hard set limit of X number of minutes, it wouldn't be fantastic but it'd be better than the total shit show this has turned into.

My opinion is that overheating is a 'feature' not a bug and that Canon thought they'd get away with it. Dispel the myth that they can't engineer modern spec video into a hybrid camera, blow Sony and Panasonic away by being first to 8K, claiming all the YouTube and shilling plaudits, then hope their loyal customers put up with the limitations.

But it is not so much a 'limitation' as a defect.

And that is the point where lawyers get involved and company reputations take a battering.

Make no mistake. This is absolutely product recall territory.

It is not the same as knowing the limits, and deciding to buy it anyway. It is about Canon completely misleading people into believing it's suitable for certain tasks, when it is actually a defective product.

52 minutes ago, Andrew Reid said:

It is not the same as knowing the limits, and deciding to buy it anyway. It is about Canon completely misleading people into believing it's suitable for certain tasks, when it is actually a defective product.

I did believe due to their excellent reliability over the years. I even pre-ordered, which I never do. 

Told my crew about the issues and they pretty much said “fuck that”, after with “but will they sort it? Will they?” Like they know how much benefit the R5 would bring to a shoot but genuinely upset and quite angry it would be released this way. “We’ve always got the GH5” they said. 🥳

My R5 order is on the brink of death. The R6 is dead. 

All I want is lightweight 10bit 422 full frame at 4k60fps (120 is bonus) with amazing AF for single shooter gimbal use. Stills also required but not a dealbreaker. 

Wait for Gerald’s test (I think video is coming monday). If the 4K pixel binned mode looks like garbage (it kinda does from screenshots) then what’s the point?

It’s a liability not an asset it your using it professionally (for video).

The stills look pretty decent. Although It has very limited highlight recover.

The AF is killer. Especially for people.