Highly contradictory reviews on EOS R6 overheating limitation

Andrew Reid

2 minutes ago, Nezza said:

+ You can shoot upper 20 mins 4K, then overheats but the issue is the amount time you have to let it cool down is considerable (one guy stuck it in a fridge - maybe Canon's solution is too bundle it with a small portable one)

Sad thing is, he put in a fridge and it didn't make much of difference. After he took it from the fridge it didn't last long.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
6 hours ago, Django said:

Of course an 8.2K oversampled 4K IQ is going to be vastly superior to a non oversampled pixel binned 4K IQ. That's why it's called HQ lol..

At least there is a 4K HQ mode, unlike the A7S3's non oversampled 4K. A comparison in between those two will be interesting.

As for the overheating, what I would really like to get confirmation is if when overheating warning is turned on, can you switch to regular 4K without the camera ever bricking.

Also still no serious RS tests...

I think the R5 RS is fine based on what I've seen and the R6 RS is weak-sauce.

Someone wrote that they got an overheat warning shooting 8K and then switched to 4K (binned I presume) and kept shooting. I imagine that only works if you do so before it shuts off

6 hours ago, Trankilstef said:

I feel the same way. I use my S1H daily for professional use and I never worry about overheating or weather conditions, it's that reliabel. i shoot mainly corporate and interview that sometimes go over 35mn per take and I've never ever had any annoyance with it. The only drawback to me is the AF for video, I'd love to have good continuous AF in some situations. And I really am looking closely to the new Canon bodies as well as the Sony A7SIII, but for now, from what I see from the Canon cameras, I think I would regret to switch from my S1H. It I get the good AF I want but end up with overheating problems or unreliability in general, that won't work for me. 
For now , until more tests come our way, I think I may keep the S1H or switch back to Sony if the A7SIII is as good as it seems . 

So you kind of regret selling your S1?

I miss the S1 but I knew I would. I don't regret selling it - especially since I'm shooting like 1/8 my normal volume right now! The fact is that the S1 would never have the features I want long-term (AF and no-crop 4K60) so I would want to upgrade sooner or later. I have other cameras (fs7, gh5 +...) so it's not like i can't shoot. I'm hoping that the A7SIII does it for me and that i won't need to upgrade it for 5+ years. If not the A7SIII then maybe i will just keep waiting for the right camera to come along.

5 hours ago, Andrew Reid said:

Except that isn't true.

Didn't provide real world shooting times, not even rough estimates.

Didn't talk about a real world shooting schedule, in terms of the amount of time the shoot lasted during the day.

Didn't mention the average length of a take.

Didn't say at what point during the shoot the overheating trouble began.

Didn't estimate the resting gaps in-between. Or whether the camera even remained turned on during this time.

Didn't say whether the indoor scenes had a lower temp than 28 degrees, due to air con, or other...

Meh yeah it could have been more informative. But the thing about doc shooting is there will be times you're rolling for hours on end in hot situations. If the camera can't handle the most challenging situations, then it is not a GENERAL PURPOSE DOCUMENTARY CAMERA. We could have learned more, but at least we learned that

4 hours ago, jack jin said:

Didn't a canon ambassador from the C5D comment section say that the r6 samples sent to the uk were all mistakenly body samples that weren't meant to shoot video? I think that could explain the reason why C5d's results are so different from dpreview's.

Screen Shot 2020-07-25 at 9.15.29 PM.png

I call BS

• Administrators
1 hour ago, abehalpert said:

Meh yeah it could have been more informative. But the thing about doc shooting is there will be times you're rolling for hours on end in hot situations. If the camera can't handle the most challenging situations, then it is not a GENERAL PURPOSE DOCUMENTARY CAMERA. We could have learned more, but at least we learned that

And the most challenging situations apply to Johnnie's shoot?

Like probably many of you,  when I started reading about the R6 specs I was telling myself may be it's time to move over to Canon. Plan was to sell my Z6 and other lenses and move over. I guess that's not happening anytime soon. It begs the question why can't Panasonic give us a camera with good phase detect auto focus? 

I want a good hybrid (mirrorless) and the rumored 12MP of the A7S II replacement is a no go for me. At least 20MP which is why I was going to switch with the R6. Quite a disappointment! 

24 minutes ago, Gandulf said:

Damn, that sounds even worse than it already did. 

Also, is it just me or does the image look a lot worse than the three year old Panasonic GH5?

Whoa. That's probably the most controversial remark yet. You could be right, though. 

3 minutes ago, Lenscamera said:

Like probably many of you,  when I started reading about the R6 specs I was telling myself may be it's time to move over to Canon. Plan was to sell my Z6 and other lenses and move over. I guess that's not happening anytime soon. It begs the question why can't Panasonic give us a camera with good phase detect auto focus? 

I want a good hybrid (mirrorless) and the rumored 12MP of the A7S II replacement is a no go for me. At least 20MP which is why I was going to switch with the R6. Quite a disappointment! 

A few changes to the GH5 and GH5s, starting with PDAF, and everyone would rush to Panasonic. 

10 hours ago, Andrew Reid said:

EH?

Clearly these things matter with this camera massively. So why not mention the info?

Even the approximate minutes and hours?

What I mean is that for people who want to use this as a serious video tool, which I think is C5D's target audience, he's basically saying "don't bother". 

The run times indoors, outdoors etc that you wanted listed, while yes, they would have been interesting info to have, are not things anyone interested in video production should have to worry about in 2020. 

I'm eager to see what the Sony A7SIII is like but no matter how great the features are, if it overheats at all, it's a non starter. What good is the best AF and IBIS (Not the reasons I'll be buying the camera) if the camera is shut down for 20mins and you can't shoot?

3 hours ago, sanveer said:

A few changes to the GH5 and GH5s, starting with PDAF, and everyone would rush to Panasonic. 

Oh no! Not going anywhere near a micro four thirds camera. Not even APSC. Full frame or bust. 

It was really too good to be true with Cannon. I'm gonna have to wait and see how the Sony and A7S II successor looks like. If it comes to the worse, I can keep my Nikon Z6 for stills and add to it what Sony releases. But I want to carry just a camera and 2 or 3 lenses when I travel. It's quite a boomer with this R6. 

I believe both reviews were honest.  This is because of my personal experience with the Sony A7III, which has been excellent and never overheated in any situation.  I've taken it to Costa Rican jungles, Californian beaches, and even here in Montreal our brief summers are hot.  However, I have a friend who also has a Sony A7III and his camera overheats all the time.  It's overheated on us during interviews and even product shoots, in studio, in Canada, in the winter (my camera, shooting another angle, was fine). 

I thought Sony had moved beyond their overheating issues, but it seems they still have inconsistent build quality.  So one reviewer may have received a R6 that performed impeccably, and the other got a flammable brick.  Hopefully Canon fixes these issues before wide release, but I'm definitely waiting to see what Sony and Nikon have to offer in the next few months before I buy another camera.

3 hours ago, RawZion said:

it seems they still have inconsistent build quality

Yes, that also could be a huge factor. It seemed that was with the lensrental glange distance consistency measurements. In which even cinema cameras (not Mirrorless ILCs), were terribly inconsistent, across the same camera lineup too. 

7 hours ago, Lenscamera said:

Oh no! Not going anywhere near a micro four thirds camera. Not even APSC. Full frame or bust. 

It was really too good to be true with Cannon. I'm gonna have to wait and see how the Sony and A7S II successor looks like. If it comes to the worse, I can keep my Nikon Z6 for stills and add to it what Sony releases. But I want to carry just a camera and 2 or 3 lenses when I travel. It's quite a boomer with this R6. 

It's all in the head. One of the issues that M43 must sort is the pipeline. It should either be 14-bit, or better still, 16-bit. It may help with the whole highlight rolloff (apart from reworking the algorithms and changing rhe VLog to the full version). 

They have way better rolling shutter, way better battery life, and generally much higher reliability. And frame rates could be pushed, even beyond what the GH5s and XT4 do (they do 1080p at 240fps).

Most people agree that PDAF is the biggest shortcoming right now. In pretty much everything in Mirrorless, M43 has been the pioneer. 

two things really puzzle me when i read through these posts.

a: i don`t think anyone is forced to buy this camera but a lot of the posts read like people already did and now live in a constant nightmare.

b: from looking at the whole thing it does not seem like canon is trying to keep the issue under wraps, they gave pretty honest info about it, so where`s the scandal? of course they aimed for the middle ground like any other company would do.

canon took a big gamble to have 8k on the box just in time before the olympics. well, the olympics are called off and canon has to deal with quite a mess. question is, was it worth it?.

we all know that there is no "ultimate review" that is right about everything, answers all questions, and is totally unbiased.

and it should be common knowledge that you need to read a lot of them and then take home the pieces of info that concern you. and right now there are not enough reviews out to get a clear image.

12 minutes ago, wondo said:

canon took a big gamble to have 8k on the box just in time before the olympics. well, the olympics are called off and canon has to deal with quite a mess.

So it's all the fault of the Olympics being called off that Canon is in this mess. 🤣🤣  If only they had gone ahead as planned, the R5 would be a glorious success and they'd have been used to film the whole event in 8K RAW.  Assuming of course, each event lasts less than 20 mins and there's a significant gap between say the long jump and the short distant runner events to allow the camera to cool down.  

Did the organisers of the olympics allow in their design for rows of fridges to line the stadium wall to ensure the R5s have somewhere to go and cool down when not used. 🤣🤣

18 minutes ago, wondo said:

b: from looking at the whole thing it does not seem like canon is trying to keep the issue under wraps, they gave pretty honest info about it, so where`s the scandal? of course they aimed for the middle ground like any other company would do.

I'm reminded of a quote from Yes Minister where Sir Humphrey states, you should always tell the truth when people can find out for themselves.

There was no mention of the overheating in the pre-publicity.   Only when the cameras were out for review, were they required to come clean.  

Whilst they have given figures, it remains to be seen how applicable they are to real World use.  

14 hours ago, Andrew Reid said:

And the most challenging situations apply to Johnnie's shoot?

Logically, the most challenging situations are as challenging as Johnnie's situation or moreso.

To put it another way, if the camera won't work for every documentary application then it is not a documentary camera.

But again, I agree that it would have been more useful to determine when/how/if you can use it if he had given us more information.