Highly contradictory reviews on EOS R6 overheating limitation

Andrew Reid

Just now, Andrew Reid said:

That'll be the day. Most haven't even got past the denial stage!

Sony's overheating was largely to do with the A6300, which was one quarter of the price of the EOS R5 and very much a mid-range consumer point & shoot. Enthusiast camera at a stretch. Canon EOS R5 is a $4000 professional tool which is why the overheating is even more unacceptable. The A6300 got tons of criticism and rightly so, even thought it cost so much less.

I've seen some in the bargaining stage. "But, but...you can still use it in some 4k modes, right??"

I used to own the a6500. That would overheat some but the recovery time for these canons is next level. It's laughable you can't use 4k30p. 

You should write comedy, Andrew. This article cracked me up. 

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
8 minutes ago, Andrew Reid said:

Except that isn't true.

Didn't provide real world shooting times, not even rough estimates.

Didn't talk about a real world shooting schedule, in terms of the amount of time the shoot lasted during the day.

Didn't mention the average length of a take.

Didn't say at what point during the shoot the overheating trouble began.

Didn't estimate the resting gaps in-between. Or whether the camera even remained turned on during this time.

Didn't say whether the indoor scenes had a lower temp than 28 degrees, due to air con, or other factors.

Did not say when the ice pack was applied, how long for roughly, or whether lower ambient temps even made a difference - seems they didn't.

But yes, praise away the "great job of providing real world information"!

Not reading too much into it at all. Final warning. Agitate me again and you can go and use the DPReview Video forums instead.

All those things you mentioned above.......they shouldn't matter in a video camera! It's really as simple as that. And while the r5 and R6 aren't primarily 'video cameras' they are promoted as video tools.

He was not able to create the piece he wanted to and the camera dictated how the shoot unfolded. To anyone who want's to use this camera more than just filming a few clips of the kids.....that is all you need to know.

I look forward to seeing your review sometime soon.

It's the recovery times that are the real kicker. Even if they'd added somewhere with metal attached to the heatsinks to get some cooling between takes (maybe where the LCD goes) it would have been better rather than just insulating plastic everywhere.

I bet the internal cooling is sub-par too. You see it all the time with audio/computing gear. Cheap-ass thermal paste applied by a gorilla with a plastering trowel!

2 minutes ago, A_Urquhart said:

All those things you mentioned above.......they shouldn't matter in a video camera! It's really as simple as that. And while the r5 and R6 aren't primarily 'video cameras' they are promoted as video tools.

He was not able to create the piece he wanted to and the camera dictated how the shoot unfolded. To anyone who want's to use this camera more than just filming a few clips of the kids.....that is all you need to know.

It's a shit review because he gives anecdotal evidence about HIS specific use case (which is vague to begin with), whereas the people watching need the particulars to decide if it will work for their use case. Nothing is made clear like Andrew says. 

He could have been rolling the camera for 3 hours straight then it overheated. Or maybe 2 hours then it overheated. Some people might find this acceptable. (It is inferred that it is much worse than this).

But we will never know cause he doesn't give any particulars or say anything of use lol. 

2 minutes ago, Yurolov said:

It's a shit review because he gives anecdotal evidence about HIS specific use case (which is vague to begin with), whereas the people watching need the particulars to decide if it will work for their use case. Nothing is made clear like Andrew says. 

He could have been rolling the camera for 3 hours straight then it overheated. Or maybe 2 hours then it overheated. Some people might find this acceptable. (It is inferred that it is much worse than this).

But we will never know cause he doesn't give any particulars or say anything of use lol. 

You really think he would be that disappointed after 3 hours of straight use? I think not. 

Agree that the 'review' is not perfect, but it told me everything I needed to know. 

I'm following this problem from the beginning of the introduction of the new Canon cameras. Overheating on R5/R6 is a serious problem as I've always supposed, we are receiving too many reports from the professionals. I'm sure that professional people will not use them to capture video as Canon claims, I suppose the only solution is the A7Siii, I will consider Sony if it doesn't overheat for one hour of continuous shooting, if S1H had a good autofocus it would be no brainer to choice over Canon, but it's also not lightweight camera. After comparing all the cameras on the paper, based only about rumors, Sony could win for sure. On my iMac Pro it's impossibile to check 8k RAW footage from R5, only via Resolve, dropping frames. It's a workstation that costly me rough 15.000 euros and frankly I will never use proxies with such power. So my advice is waiting for Sony and leaving the idea to consider Canon to shoot professional videos. Next firmware on Canon can't change problems with overheating, maybe 1/2 minutes of better dissipation but forget to use the camera for casual shooting... 

1 hour ago, Andrew Reid said:

Why the hell would you spend $4k on a camera to shoot 2014-standard pixel binned mushy 4K?

Pixelbinned 4k can look impressive. That 120p 4k material from the R5 of the woman at the beach in Vietnam looks rather mushy to me. People who responded to my post didnt seem to agree. Some wrote, looks like epic red epic. To me it looked mushy. After conversion to Prores422 I gave it a run in Davinci. Colours responded nicely. But it didnt look higher resolving than HD to me. People on the forum recognized the smoothness of red dragons. I saw HD of the old C300mk1 days. So, nice pixelbinned 4K would look different. 4k from the 1 to 1 readout of the c300mk2 looks very nice. Test material of the R5 with 120p4k looks not like 4k to me.

52 minutes ago, Andrew Reid said:

I think Canon have made a catastrophic decision, and it will haunt them for a long time.

Maybe they can roll the release back and built a better body. They should, then they will earn and deserve customer appreciation.

6 minutes ago, jack jin said:

Screen Shot 2020-07-25 at 9.15.29 PM.png

The representative states it wont overheat in 4k 24p. How about 25 and 30p? Will it be as nicely resolving as the 1 to 1 readout of the C300mk2 or will it look like lower resolution upscaled to 4K? Hopefully he didnt mean to imply my first question and other considerations.

• Administrators
4 minutes ago, PannySVHS said:

The representative states it wont overheat in 4k 24p. How about 25 and 30p? Will it be as nicely resolving as the 1 to 1 readout of the C300mk2 or will it look like lower resolution upscaled to 4K? Hopefully he didnt mean to imply my first question and other considerations.

Rep bullshit.

On a separate note, let's reduce the number of overheating threads before the forum also overheats 🙂

I'll keep this one open for now, but overheating talk should all go in one place, don't you think....

• Administrators
1 hour ago, A_Urquhart said:

EH?

Clearly these things matter with this camera massively. So why not mention the info?

Even the approximate minutes and hours?

In order for us to know what his conditions on the shoot were and how long he ACTUALLY used the R6. For all we know, he could have done a 1 hour interview take, then it overheated and couldn't do subsequent shorter takes. Just in effect saying "I made a documentary, and erm, this camera wasn't suitable" is completely useless for anybody thinking of buying the R6 and working around the limitations.

Johnnie provides some info about how long he was filming for in his comments:

"Looking at my interview timeline, the max i could record was around 9 minutes. Saying that, I guess the camera “gathered heat” while filming some short clips before and when left on “standby” in order to arrange my framing and light."

"I did’t get near the 40 minutes benchmark Canon measured. I guess what they did, is taking a camera “out of the box” and let it run up until it overheats. In reality, we work a bit differently. We film short clips. We leave the camera “on” in standby mode for composing the shot and take care of other (Little) issues like lighting and sound. All this is building a certain heat inside the camera body, so it can be that by the time you need to film your main interview, the camera will shut off much earlier than the claimed 40 minutes."

1 hour ago, jack jin said:

Didn't a canon ambassador from the C5D comment section say that the r6 samples sent to the uk were all mistakenly body samples that weren't meant to shoot video? I think that could explain the reason why C5d's results are so different from dpreview's.

Screen Shot 2020-07-25 at 9.15.29 PM.png

Lmao. Their own rep says they clearly wouldn't ship a camera that overheats in 24p. But canon's info says they did just that. 

Even their own reps can't believe their incompetence. And this is the guy who had the first hands on with the c300 mkiii in the UK. 

What a shitshow. 

2 hours ago, Danilo Del Tufo said:

I'm following this problem from the beginning of the introduction of the new Canon cameras. Overheating on R5/R6 is a serious problem as I've always supposed, we are receiving too many reports from the professionals. I'm sure that professional people will not use them to capture video as Canon claims, I suppose the only solution is the A7Siii, I will consider Sony if it doesn't overheat for one hour of continuous shooting, if S1H had a good autofocus it would be no brainer to choice over Canon, but it's also not lightweight camera. After comparing all the cameras on the paper, based only about rumors, Sony could win for sure. On my iMac Pro it's impossibile to check 8k RAW footage from R5, only via Resolve, dropping frames. It's a workstation that costly me rough 15.000 euros and frankly I will never use proxies with such power. So my advice is waiting for Sony and leaving the idea to consider Canon to shoot professional videos. Next firmware on Canon can't change problems with overheating, maybe 1/2 minutes of better dissipation but forget to use the camera for casual shooting... 

Maybe your problem, Danilo?

Saluti per tutti : -)

If overheat issue indeed is as such reported, whole case looks even out of pure logic and as comic mistake of juvenile-pretentious dilettantism  . I'm probably wrong, but IMO if Canon just took care to provide 24/60p 4k RAW HQ (or even just 24/30p) and nothing more as long with, as it seems, brilliant IBIS and autofocus - they would be praised  by whole video/movie making community. Even such retro capability (and retro capable) shooter as I'm, that never touched autofocus, was highly interested to try this one best of the best autofocus incorporation in combination with first class IBIS...

1 hour ago, Emanuel said:

Maybe your problem, Danilo?

Saluti per tutti : -)

Yes, Emanuel. I've tried both Resolve and Premiere on my iMac Pro and simple R5 RAW files don't work. The problem is for everyone, I'm not interested to transcoding the files, my only hope is Sony A7Siii, after investing almost 15.000 euros in a workstation 2 years ago, you just desire that it works for years...

Of the reviews I've seen, common comments:

+ Praise for AF, now class leading

+ Stabilisation excellent

+ You can shoot upper 20 mins 4K, then overheats but the issue is the amount time you have to let it cool down is considerable (one guy stuck it in a fridge - maybe Canon's solution is too bundle it with a small portable one)