Highly contradictory reviews on EOS R6 overheating limitation

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
  • Administrators

Here we have some much higher quality and more useful information from Gerald.

The external recorder situation is as follows:

Let's give guys like this their due and not reward the wannabe filmmakers.

Looks like external recording could save this camera, but there is no reason to choose the R5 if you can not even get 4KHQ 60p, hope soon we will have a review for the R6 with external, I am not going to spend $4K in a camera so limited like the R5, well, probably is going to cost a lot less next year, there is no way filmmakers are going to jump on it as it is right now.

I like you and your blog and I think you're funny. But even so, I don't like all this personal negativity. I dont see the value in giving as good as you get. Seems better to me to rise above. One thing I like about newsshooter is how neutral the tone stays. I like where you're going with the comic direction and some of your posts have been really very funny. But I dont need the negativity in my life, it's why I quit twitter.

That being said - i agree that behiri is not giving us a lot of information I would like to know and I think he was very rude to you. But he has a point - if it didnt work for him to shoot documentary style on a typical shoot, it might not work for a typical shoot for me either. In any case, I dont want to be stressing about the camera. This is clearly not a documentary camera.

PS I hope I'm not coming off too critical or annoying. I love your blog and your insight - keep up the good work

3 minutes ago, abehalpert said:

I like you and your blog and I think you're funny. But even so, I don't like all this personal negativity. I dont see the value in giving as good as you get. Seems better to me to rise above. One thing I like about newsshooter is how neutral the tone stays. I like where you're going with the comic direction and some of your posts have been really very funny. But I dont need the negativity in my life, it's why I quit twitter.

That being said - i agree that behiri is not giving us a lot of information I would like to know and I think he was very rude to you. But he has a point - if it didnt work for him to shoot documentary style on a typical shoot, it might not work for a typical shoot for me either. In any case, I dont want to be stressing about the camera. This is clearly not a documentary camera.

PS I hope I'm not coming off too critical or annoying. I love your blog and your insight - keep up the good work

It could still be used as a doc camera for some occasions with an external recorded, the point is it is too expensive for what you get, right now for a similar price of the R5 + ninja V you could get a C200, but loose the FF, so that's the dilema, R6 if it is usable using external recording is a better choice in my opinion, but there is so many contradicting information now, that we are still in the blind area, certainly in the next weeks we will get better information, but my hopes are really down at this moment.

7 minutes ago, hijodeibn said:

It could still be used as a doc camera for some occasions with an external recorded, the point is it is too expensive for what you get, right now for a similar price of the R5 + ninja V you could get a C200, but loose the FF, so that's the dilema, R6 if it is usable using external recording is a better choice in my opinion, but there is so many contradicting information now, that we are still in the blind area, certainly in the next weeks we will get better information, but my hopes are really down at this moment.

There is also some of us already have C200/C100/C300s and R5 seem to be good companion for a more ninja operation.

2 minutes ago, ntblowz said:

There is also some of us already have C200/C100/C300s and R5 seem to be good companion for a more ninja operation.

that's true, C100/C200/C300 are so huge, you can not go in the streets unnoticed, that's really an issue some times, with a tiny camera opens so many new options, specially when you are doing run and gun.

50 minutes ago, abehalpert said:

I've personally come to enjoy it over the years. Andrew's a mix between a camera-tech-futurist and Daily Mail. He doesn't disappoint. Haha Camera tech news alone is pretty boring otherwise. 

contradiction-600x176@2x.jpg

To be fair Jordan did mention he was shooting in cool Canadian summer conditions (average temperature this month in Calgary was 10-23 degrees Celsius) whereas Behiri admitted he shot in 29 degrees weather (average temp in Tokyo currently 23-30 degree Celsius).

That to me would explain the conflicting overheating reports from those two.

The official Canon R6 overheating chart is listed for 23 degree weather:

?ACT=44&fid=17&d=9283&f=canon-eos-r5-eos

That said, it is pretty appalling Behiri would use a pre-production R6 for what he claims was a “2 day shoot” with apparently long interviews/takes in 29 degree weather. That’s a disaster waiting to happen..

1 hour ago, hijodeibn said:

Maybe you are right but it seems optimistic. I want a workhorse not a show pony. I sold my S1 to get something with AF and no-crop 4k60p but that camera was beautifully bulletproof. It just got out of my way and I didn't ever have to worry about it

It seems people weren't this hard on Sony for all their overheating shenanigans- and Sony really didn't say anything about it, unlike Canon. Maybe it was just a different time.

People just want THE CAMERA with perfect IBIS (no wobblies at the wind end), RAW, PDAF, no overheating, unlimited recording times, great ergonomics with mic inputs (low self-noise, of course), great lens selection and all this at a super-low cost that never loses value on the used market. By the way,  99% or your audience won't even notice as they're too focused on your message (if its a good one). Also, did everyone forget that Canon still needs to sell its cinema cameras that are way more expensive?

5 hours ago, Andrew Reid said:

Here we have some much higher quality and more useful information from Gerald.

The external recorder situation is as follows:

Let's give guys like this their due and not reward the wannabe filmmakers.

I am not sure the battery would last for 3 hours. 

It appears that most of the issue have to do with the processing (both Sensor and Image Processor), more than anything else. A smaller node size (7nm?) may have greatly helped with heat management, and a proper passive heat sink, with the heat being transferred into the body away from the internals could have helped.

I am suspicious of reviewers saying they can record for hours and days. Despite the low quality of non HQ video. Though the RAW and HQ modes (?) are apparently the absolute worst. 

From Gordon Laing's samples the non overheating 4k on the R5 didn't look great.

Am wondering if they could make a video specific version a la S1H and accept they need to make it bigger and incorporate a fan so that it's reliable in all modes or at least 4k HQ. Maybe bit niche but I would be interested in that, I like the ergonomics of the S1 when using big full frame zooms