Canon ignoring 1DX Markiii?

Rinad Amir

15 minutes ago, gt3rs said:

Are you shooting RAW with LOG on or off?

I find with LOG on then the base iso 400 is to noisy I find the image better at iso 100 with LOG off. Not sure what mode gives better DR....

Plus I can use a  2 stop weaker ND that helps with the AF

@gt3rs Does this mean 8bit if log is off?

How u find DR when shooting log off

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
1 minute ago, Rinad Amir said:

@gt3rs Does this mean 8bit if log is off?

How u find DR when shooting log off

When in RAW if you set LOG on or off it controls the highlight protection thus the base iso (plus if the proxy 8 or 10bit, but i don’t record proxy) 

In theory I think with LOG on and exposing to the right you should get more DR but I’m not sure.

I’m not a DR obsessed so I’m not the right guy to ask but to me RAW DR seems very close to photo DR in CR3. Maybe I should do a test and compare video RAW 12bit with photo RAW 14bit....

I have not tried RAW with LOG off ... but honestly at iso 400 I see little noise ... but I tend to keep the blacks fairly low.

DR is voodoo to a certain extent ... no pleasing image has 13 stops of DR ... but it does allow you to pick where Zone 2 -8 fall ... most of mine are bunched

up but just my preference.

I am struggling with the DPAF AF choices ... tracking is great and perfect for lighted venues ... less so in landscape ... I am presently trying to make

the Canon 85 F 1.4 L work ... it is great for stills but is a recalcitrant beast for video ... misses more than it captures ideal focus ... in tracking spot and small

focus point modes ... I may chuck it and order a Sigma Cine 85 .... I can use the MF focus assistance to define my points and easily find them with the 180 (?)

degree focus range.

All of this was RAW with LOG ... edited with DR Studio and using the Clog2 to wide 709 LUT from Canon ... 7 nodes ... grain added ...

On 7/23/2020 at 1:53 PM, Rinad Amir said:

Well if there is any Canon reps or ambassadors will 1DX mark iii get Clog 3?

That brick can handle more heat than R5 🤣 i want 4k120p 

Apparently the 1DXIII is the last time Canon truly cared about stability so they went the very safe route with it and kept everything well below it's overheating limits.  Even though it is larger, it has even more weather sealing than the R5 so more than likely even it might overheat at 4K120FPS, of course since it does not have IBIS maybe it could handle 4K120FPS without overheating.

Another thing people don't seem to be talking about with all these cameras is what damage is done to the internals when they regularly overheat or run that hot? Overheating that often can't be good for the circuit boards and  I would imagine strange and inexplicable problems will show up prematurely in those cameras but right after the warranty has expired.

My guess is that on the 1Dx III they went with a more conservative approach with no IBIS, probably and heatsink on the sensor, larger body and pure guess probably running the CPU and lower clock speed.  

Imagine they would have given RAW 5.5k 60fps with AF but only for 15-20min before overheating there would be a huge discussion, not reliable, not professional etc.. but personally I would love to have this option. I really like the RAW 5.5k quality is the sweet spot for me but the RS is quite severe.

If I could choose two improvements via firmware would be:

- AF enabled on 5.5k 60fps even with time limit like 15 min

- Zebra (this one they should really do it)

47 minutes ago, gt3rs said:

My guess is that on the 1Dx III they went with a more conservative approach with no IBIS, probably and heatsink on the sensor, larger body and pure guess probably running the CPU and lower clock speed.  

Imagine they would have given RAW 5.5k 60fps with AF but only for 15-20min before overheating there would be a huge discussion, not reliable, not professional etc.. but personally I would love to have this option. I really like the RAW 5.5k quality is the sweet spot for me but the RS is quite severe.

If I could choose two improvements via firmware would be:

- AF enabled on 5.5k 60fps even with time limit like 15 min

- Zebra (this one they should really do it)

Both uses same processors but dx with bigger body could handle heat way better no? Ffs am thiking to place preorder on A7s iii and sell canon 😧

7 hours ago, Rinad Amir said:

Both uses same processors but dx with bigger body could handle heat way better no? Ffs am thiking to place preorder on A7s iii and sell canon 😧

A7s III looks like a well rounded camera but is basically a video camera not really an hybrid so for me is not really attractive. I would rather buy a C200 used instead if I wanted a video only camera. 

I need a second camera for both photo and video, still looking in to the R5 but I want to see more real case usage to see all the limitations. If I can take around 20  30-60 sec 8K RAW or 4k 120fps in a 2h timeframe under the sun it would be a good B cam but not sure it can do it.

On the still side is a dream 20fps at 45mpix is a perfect ice hockey netcam where I use a fisheye but then I need to crop in a lot depending where the action happen... this is a 6mpix crop out of 18mpix you can imagine you get a better image out of a 45mpix:

image.thumb.png.1d65c59452c45f9eefbdec873899250d.png

Also I have a fairly good and expensive collection of EF lenses and no way I want to use them adapted with subpar AF and limited framerate on a non canon body.  

I really like the 1Dx III, I shoot 90% of video in RAW and I do pull a lot of stills out of the video, I wish it was open gate but nevertheless is allows me to do both at the same time, depending on the request I optimize for video or for still. This weekend I did film 5 athletes and pull stills and the other 3 only did stills and the hit ratio is a bit better in still but the quality is basically the same. One thing I have noticed that by pulling the still I get picture with expressions and celebrations and so on that I did miss a bit while shooting only still....

41 minutes ago, Leica50mm said:

Are you using Davinci to pull stills?

Yep my workflow is like this:

- plug in the card reader or copy to a SSD depending if I need the space on the CFexpress card or not and if I need a fast turnaround or not.

- create a new project using my preset with 5.5k timeline, full canon RAW

- Go to color tab apply canon lut and do some basic color correction but not clipping anything

- Go through the clip and every time I see a nice picture I right click and "grab still"

- Save all the grabbed still as .TIFF

- Open the tiff in camera raw and do the final edit including cropping and any rotation and save it to jpg

Some times I save directly from the still gallery to .jpg but I find cropping and editing faster in camera raw for pictures.

Then I switch to 4k DCI timeline and start editing the video and deliver the video.

If video is more important I do the invese starting editing the video once finished switching to 5.5k timeline and grab still (here I copy the timeline and reset any scaling or rotating before grabbing the still)

38 minutes ago, Leica50mm said:

Thank You, very helpful! 

Is in my todo to grab the still in RAW -> LOG2 to TIFF without any LUT  or correction and apply the lut in camera raw and compare the result. As whit photo I tend to do some variations. 
White balance still needs to be done in Resolve....

I did try the canon software for extracting the still but is a pita imo very cumbersome...

Some examples of screen grabs:

ca 300mm 1/640 F5.6 heavy processing on tripod:

25_1.1.7.thumb.jpg.eae0a889269456522d0ffffbcf155711.jpg

560mm 1/50 F22 directly from the movie clip on Tripod

1300866704_mimigottardodamovie_1.5.1.thumb.jpg.bcd4a459cc2c6ef1b61254b2776d0f20.jpg

16mm 1/50 F11 ND on Gimbal

1676417215_mimigottardodamovie_1.7.3.thumb.jpg.fbcfd55199cf92650e77910011c2e648.jpg

24mm, 1.6, 1/50 10 stop ND on gimbal directly from the clip

1_13.1_1_13.1.thumb.jpg.2d06580723bdc7e8306f77df882ab73d.jpg

6 minutes ago, Leica50mm said:

Thanks, I think this can become a very doable solution for still/motion content all at once . Especially with the ability to use higher shutter speeds and for stills and then motion smooth in post for video. Very cool.

I think the workflow could be even more optimized

10 minutes ago, Leica50mm said:

I found I like the ARRI 709 LUT in Davinci though . 

I will give a try...

AF is really good the wakesurfing at 1.6 is using face tracking and with the rope in between at the beginning and the various move it did not loose it.

The rest is using focus square or focus with assist points.

With things that are mostly in front of the scene I find the large rectangular very useful as they can move left and right and still be in focus like skaters or mtb