Budget small/action camera suggestions?

sandro

Hello
I'm not sure if you guys have any experience with these cameras (I don't!) but I would like to record "relaxing" videos of my bicycle rides and I was wondering if there's something cheaper than GoPro/DJI for this kind of content. Something similar to this guy 

My requirements:
- good 1080p30/60 or 4k30p
- awesome IS, I want to put it on the handlebar
- possibility to add an ext stereo mic

Size is not that important, I won't be using on my chest or to record extreme bike rides. Just relaxing slow rides on asphalt or trails.
The only cheap camera that I found as of now is the Akaso Brave 6 Plus, IS is not like the one you find in most expensive alternatives but I guess it could be good enough for my needs.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
58 minutes ago, Tim Sewell said:

Is this a particular reason why you linked this? I mean did you try it? Seems worse than the Brave 6 Plus.

33 minutes ago, Snowfun said:

Insta360?

Great fun and ridiculously easy to use. Not sure about the current price however. And fails the mic test. 

That is more expensive than GoPro 😄

What about a cheap used, but near mint DJI OSMO Action for 150 euros including a set of ND filters?

I just happen to have one for sale and for sale for no other reason than I just haven't used it as I thought I would. Used it 3 times in total!

9 hours ago, MrSMW said:

What about a cheap used, but near mint DJI OSMO Action for 150 euros including a set of ND filters?

I just happen to have one for sale and for sale for no other reason than I just haven't used it as I thought I would. Used it 3 times in total!

I would be interested, where do you sell it?

46 minutes ago, sandro said:

I read GoPro with their monopoly position are just crippling and releasing "new" cameras with an awful software full of bugs. I don't like that.

It's not on. Really buggy. Bad image quality, random shut downs etc etc and they charge a premium price for the 'brand'. Once bitten.

On the other hand the OSMO Action I'd recommend, well made, well priced, gimble like stabilisation, app very good as it's come from DJI's many years of drone development. 

I had a 5 Silver once and quite liked it. Ended up selling it to a colleague as I wasn't using it.

Went with the Action last year and thought it produced really good results...for those few times I did use it, but the reality for me was that on a fast-paced wedding day, it was just one extra bit of kit too far to operate as a one man band as I was already juggling; 2x hybrid cameras, 1 camcorder, 1 drone, multiple audio set ups, lighting etc...

I don't have any use outside of work so it's just been sitting here since last October.

I know you said the GoPro is out of your budget but I do love my Hero8 and Hypersmooth 2.0 is incredible. I only use mine for underwater footage since the case alone for my main camera would have cost more than a GoPro 8 with a waterproof case. I don't know how Hypersmooth compares to the Osmo but for my uses stability is very important.  I shoot it with a flat profile at 4K60FPS and it grades really well as underwater footage.

There might be some used Hero7s that are within your budget, and I read that Hypersmooth 1.0 in the Hero7 is almost as good. I don't know anything about their software, it probably isn't very good, I bring my footage right from the memory card into Davinci Resolve for editing.

Here is a pretty good stabilization side by side review and it looks like the Osmo holds its own. When I was deciding between the Osmo and the GoPro the Osmo left a bad taste in my mouth strictly because of DJI's terrible support. I was on their forums and said something critical about one of their products and they banned me from posting after that. So yea....I'm not DJI's biggest fan.

I had a Hero 7B, one of the buggiest cameras I've used. Yet they charge you a high price for the privilege.

None of the go pro's have a front screen. Given how often you use them in selfie mode, its invaluable for framing shots. That alone swung it for me. 

12 minutes ago, sandro said:

Hey!
Yeah, I have nothing against GoPro. It's just that for my needs a new GoPro is out of my budget. Also I read everywhere that the Hero7B is seriously bugged where you can lose footage too often.  That's not cool 🙂

The Osmo will probably be better for your uses, and the good news is if you buy it used you still aren't giving DJI any of your money :). I hadn't heard about the bugs in the 7, I had a Hero 3 sitting in my drawer for years and the only reason I upgraded was due to the Hypersmooth feature. If DJI hadn't pissed me off I probably would have gotten the Osmo.