Ryan Avery On Meike And Veydra

BTM_Pix

10 hours ago, BTM_Pix said:

Its the strangest thing.

I said I'd do a test for a fellow forum user of that Panasonic lens and a separate test of it on the micro.

I wasn't quite sure where either of them would be lurking in the draws of doom so set off on what I thought would be a long quest but I found them both straight away as they were already attached to each other !

Funny.  I've also tested the telescoping version of that lens on the Micro.  It's a little too long for my tastes, and definitely not fast enough, but having IS at the wide end is very useful considering that most wider primes don't have IS.  The 14mm/2.5 is a great pairing for the Micro too, but lacks the IS.

Of course, probably my favourite lens for the Micro at this point is probably the Laowa 7.5/2 as it has a horizontal FOV equivalent to a 22mm lens.  Throw on a 2.66:1 crop and it's not a bad wide-aspect all-rounder.  Of course, if I was going to use it for shooting real projects, I'd probably buy the Voigtlander 10.5/0.95, which would be equivalent to a FF 30mm f2.7.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
21 hours ago, kye said:

The Meike lenses certainly have excellent performance, but they're very slow.  T2.2 is probably around F2, which in DoF is equivalent to F4 in FF terms, which isn't that fast in terms of background separation.  If you're just interested in the exposure value, then T2.2 might be fine.

The way I see the Meike / Veydra lenses is as a set of cine lenses that has traded getting a little bit more sharpness for being one or two stops slower than the other contenders.  It's easy to see the Veydras as very sharp because of the myopic tradition of only talking about how sharp lenses are when wide open, but it's not that hard for other lenses to get almost that kind of result when stopped down from their widest apertures.  

That's "F2.8 equivalent" by the usual Super 35mm standard. 

S35 F2.8 DoF is plenty fast enough for shallow DoF for many filmmaking purposes. 

1 hour ago, andrgl said:

Knowing these aren’t crappy rehousings makes me tempted to pair them with a ZCAM E2-M4. They now have a locking MFT mount. With an SDI module, you have the tiniest cinema camera package on the market.

423AABEF-0CF0-414A-B86B-BF5A2855FBF6.jpeg.66df3037e8828725bfd5fd33c59493db.jpeg

No, the Sigma fp is clearly the tiniest cinema camera on the market, and it is full frame besides shooting DNG RAW internally.

4 hours ago, andrgl said:

Knowing these aren’t crappy rehousings makes me tempted to pair them with a ZCAM E2-M4. They now have a locking MFT mount. With an SDI module, you have the tiniest cinema camera package on the market.

423AABEF-0CF0-414A-B86B-BF5A2855FBF6.jpeg.66df3037e8828725bfd5fd33c59493db.jpeg

Depending on how you define "cinema camera package" I would suggest that the BMMCC would likely be the leading contender.

I've had significant trouble rigging mine up, considering that all the things you have for rigging and accessories are ridiculously large in comparison.

3 hours ago, elgabogomez said:

No way to mount meikes/veydras on the fp unfortunately. M43 also gives access to vazen anamorphics and some cine zooms that are quite small. Also the fp has micro hdmi which is the most beloved connection known to cine standards 😉

Well, with an EF to L adapter, you could go with the upcoming full frame L Mount, or EF mount with an adapter (if you want to invest in a more universal lens mount). Unfortunately, if you want to cover the full FP sensor, the full frame Meike lenses go up to about a grand apiece, with is pretty steep compared to $400 for the M43/X-Mount/APS-C E-Mount. There is a Super 35 EF mount version too, which is only $100 and change over the original lenses. If I get more Meikes, I'll probably go Super 35 EF mount over X-Mount. That way, I can use them with a dumb adapter or speedbooster to get two lengths out of each lens, plus be able to use them on the C100-300 series, plus even upcoming RF mount C series camera with an adapter.

I with Meike would take the next step and rock the inexpensive anamorphic option. If Siriu can get around $700 for theirs, Meike could easily get $1,000 for the M34/APS-C version. And a $1,500 full frame version, say, would be light years cheaper than the nearest competitor.

On the other hand, a telephoto Meike might be a great taking lens option for an anamorphic adapter build. Anyone tried that yet?