Portable Production Monitor

EphraimP

I've been getting into livestreaming with BM Atem Mini Pro. For the last couple of streams, I've been shooting musicians in a local club. After doing one show using my Ninja V as a multicam monitor to view my cameras and program feed, which was not ideal, I've been lugging a 32" TV to the gigs to use as a monitor. Besides the hassle of lugging around such a big screen with no case (and unplugging it from my home editing setup all the time) I can't monitor program audio because the TV only has one of those optical digital audio inputs, no 3.5 jack. 

I may get some outside gigs in the future (someone is hitting me up about weddings), which would mean I'd want something with more nits (probably 1,000 plus range) so I can actually see it. So I'm looking for a portable production monitor that doesn't cost and arm and a leg. Something around 17-20" would be fine. It would be a bonus if it has focus peaking and other monitoring tools, but not totally necessary. I have 2 Ninja Vs for a three plus camera setup (X-T3, X-T4, 80D). Ideal I'd be able to use it horizontally as a field monitor and then swap it to vertical at home for an extra monitor for my editing machine.

Any suggestions or user experiences ya'll would like to share? 

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

It would help immensely if you tell us your budget? As there are plenty of production monitors for shooting on sets like what you're describing, but the usual ones cost thousands and thousands and thousands of dollars. Do you want a few of those recommended? Or something a little cheaper? Or perhaps even a lot cheaper?

• Super Members
25 minutes ago, EphraimP said:

Like I said, one that doesn't cost an arm and a leg. I'm curious if there is anything in the $300-500 range that is any good. I'd say my budget is definitely under $1,000, American.

Not an absolute recommendation as I don't personally own one but you might want to look at companies like Elecrow who make slim portable monitors that can be powered by USB or mains.

They have a whole range of them but this 15.6 inch one might suit your needs and definitely suits the budget !

https://www.elecrow.com/elecrow-mf156-15-6-inch-full-hd-1920x1080p-touch-screen-portable-ips-gaming-monitor.html

They are primarily for gaming or as additional screens for laptops etc so you won't get any monitoring tools and the brightness of 400 cd/m might not be optimal for you but as a budget option it might be worth looking at.

If you can live with a 10.1 inch screen then the Feelworld FW1018 might be worth a look as it has focus peaking and is 800 cd/m

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1473463-REG/feelworld_fw1018v1_10_1_ips_4k_hdmi_camera.html/overview

Its certainly more made for the job and has SDI inputs as well as HDMI but you are then into 12v power too so that is something to bear in mind and at that size it will likely be less useful doing double duty as an extension PC monitor.

6 minutes ago, BTM_Pix said:

Not an absolute recommendation as I don't personally own one but you might want to look at companies like Elecrow who make slim portable monitors that can be powered by USB or mains.

They have a whole range of them but this 15.6 inch one might suit your needs and definitely suits the budget !

https://www.elecrow.com/elecrow-mf156-15-6-inch-full-hd-1920x1080p-touch-screen-portable-ips-gaming-monitor.html

They are primarily for gaming or as additional screens for laptops etc so you won't get any monitoring tools and the brightness of 400 cd/m might not be optimal for you but as a budget option it might be worth looking at.

If you can live with a 10.1 inch screen then the Feelworld FW1018 might be worth a look as it has focus peaking and is 800 cd/m

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1473463-REG/feelworld_fw1018v1_10_1_ips_4k_hdmi_camera.html/overview

Its certainly more made for the job and has SDI inputs as well as HDMI but you are then into 12v power too so that is something to bear in mind and at that size it will likely be less useful doing double duty as an extension PC monitor.

The Feelworld is a bit small, but they do have a 17" monitor that's closer to what I'm looking for. I'm not sure about the quality of Feelworld products. That may be the tradeoff.

• Super Members
3 minutes ago, EphraimP said:

The Feelworld is a bit small, but they do have a 17" monitor that's closer to what I'm looking for. I'm not sure about the quality of Feelworld products. That may be the tradeoff.

Yeah, you are back down to 400 cd/m too with the larger one.

The brightness is one of those things I think where you have to see it though to know if it will work for you.

As an example, my phone is rated at just over 400 cd/m so I've just gone outside where the light meter reading here is currently f8 at 1/500th at ISO 100 (i.e. very bright sunshine !) and it is absolutely perfectly viewable so you might find that one adequate if you can get to test it in the environment you are going to use it in.

2 minutes ago, BTM_Pix said:

Yeah, you are back down to 400 cd/m too with the larger one.

The brightness is one of those things I think where you have to see it though to know if it will work for you.

As an example, my phone is rated at just over 400 cd/m so I've just gone outside where the light meter reading here is currently f8 at 1/500th at ISO 100 (i.e. very bright sunshine !) and it is absolutely perfectly viewable so you might find that one adequate if you can get to test it in the environment you are going to use it in.

Good point about the brightness. I think that one has a sun hood too.

13 hours ago, EphraimP said:

Like I said, one that doesn't cost an arm and a leg. I'm curious if there is anything in the $300-500 range that is any good. I'd say my budget is definitely under $1,000, American.

Ouch. That's a tight budget. Yeah nothing from the professional range of production monitors would come close. 

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?Ntt=atomos sumo &N=0&InitialSearch=yes&sts=ma
Not even Atomos could you get one secondhand for $1K, which isn't mainstream for director/client monitors, but at least are a major mainstream name for camera monitor/recorders. 

With that budget I'd suggest just go look at the most popular ones on Aliexpress from China. 
Feelworld is one of the bigger names out of China. 

10 minutes ago, IronFilm said:

Ouch. That's a tight budget. Yeah nothing from the professional range of production monitors would come close. 

Yeah, for the level of production I'm doing right now, under a a grand is definitely the budget. If the wedding option picks up, maybe the budget will too. Unfortunately, when I live isn't booming economically (is anywhere) and a lot of people don't want to pay decent rate for video work. A guy is trying to start a livestreaming service at his club and pitch it to businesses, nonprofits and musicians. He wants me to run the livestreams but is telling prospective clients that my rate is only $100 - $150. Yeah, like I'm going to pack in 2-3 cameras with tripods or gimbles, a ATEM Mini Pro, computer, monitor, a MixPre 3 II , Ninja monitors for multiple cameras, a network switch and all of the cabling, and run 1 to 2 hour streams, all for $100 to $150.

No, I'm not joking.

I just need something that's not a pain in the ass to port around that shows me if my cameras are in focus and that I can plug a headset into. If a Feelworld monitor will last a year or two, it could work. 

I needed something that could get banged up traveling from shoot to shoot in situations where gear can get knocked around, so i didn't want to spend a lot. I bought this 2 years ago and have been very happy with it. Despite some battle scars, it's still kicking. $900 USD.

Lilliput BM150-4K

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1248684-REG/lilliput_bm150_4k_15_6_carry_on_rackable_4k_broadcast.html

lilliput_bm150_4k_15_6_carry_on_rackable_4k_broadcast_1462282466_1248684.jpg

15 hours ago, Zak Forsman said:

That one looks interesting. Feelworld has a similar unit for $600 and change that's 1080. I don't think I'd need a 4K monitor for a 1080 stream. 

Anyone have feedback on quality difference between Feelworld and Lilliput?

17 hours ago, Zak Forsman said:

I needed something that could get banged up traveling from shoot to shoot in situations where gear can get knocked around, so i didn't want to spend a lot. I bought this 2 years ago and have been very happy with it. Despite some battle scars, it's still kicking. $900 USD.

Lilliput BM150-4K

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1248684-REG/lilliput_bm150_4k_15_6_carry_on_rackable_4k_broadcast.html

lilliput_bm150_4k_15_6_carry_on_rackable_4k_broadcast_1462282466_1248684.jpg

The great thing about this monitor for non-Americans is you can order it direct from China via Alexpress and get "free shipping"! (as good grief, the shipping from B&H to NZ costs an arm and a leg!!)

They've also got a 23.8" monitor (and even 28 inch!!! But it uses roughly nearly 50W??), for only a hundred dollars extra.

2 hours ago, EphraimP said:

That one looks interesting. Feelworld has a similar unit for $600 and change that's 1080. I don't think I'd need a 4K monitor for a 1080 stream. 

If you're looking at four streams at once on one screen then you might consider a 4K monitor as worthwhile. 

SEETEC has some even cheaper options to consider, a 15.6" monitor for US$455.04:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4001134158086.html

Only HDMI however, thus you should consider this one too which has SDI for US$652.80 (is a little bigger too at 17.3"):

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32715788233.html

Or go small with a 13.3" SDI monitor for US$470:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32912961553.html