Android phone as 1080 HDMI monitor.

sam rides a mtb

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

I read the comments below this. As with a lot of cable into smartphones, unless they are optimised for this by software and hardware there is always a lot of lag. Plus the screen resolution is low and frames keep dropping. Unless this replaces a proper monitor its not an easily usable idea. 

• Super Members

One thing to be cautious of is if the particular Android device you are using it with has UVC drivers as not all of them do.

With regard to performance, I have used a similar one for about 12 months or so to give a live view function to my 3C Blackmagic Pocket4K app and it was OK to provide a reference and the lag wasn't too bad.

Within that expectation of it not being a Ninja V killer etc it is still very useful with something like the Pocket4K which can have its monitoring tools such as false colour etc applied to the HDMI output as obviously the very simple apps that have to be used for viewing on the phone do not have them.

Being able to add a high brightness, tiltable screen to the Pocket4K, even if there is a lag and a resolution hit, is a real boon, especially for outdoor shooting, and particularly for so little money, footprint and power requirements.

The one I have been using is much bigger, not to mention more expensive, than this so I I'll order one of these smaller one and see how it fairs against that and if there is any additional lag etc.

As I say, these are not going to replace a real monitor but within the parameters they do operate they can still be very useful indeed.

I'll let you know.

• Super Members

By the way, I didn't go for officially supporting that type of HDMI>USB dongle in the app in the end due to the prospect of people trying to use it on so many different Android devices that it would become a tech support nightmare due to UVC compatibility.

The better all round solution IMO for Android is to spend the money on the CineEye so you can use it as it is here with the Tilta support in 3C for completely wireless control and monitoring of the camera.

The CineEye app has all of the monitoring controls you need built in and is extremely low latency.

It remains a bit of a mystery to me why it isn't more popular, particularly as it offers things like false colour which few cameras do and also breaks away from having to use the manufacturer's often flaky or restrictive apps for remote monitoring.

1366875184_CDATEK-P4K-LV002.thumb.jpg.99cc0edb0a642a0d4cb1b5ea9ee47872.jpg

I checked the reviews for the (Accsoon Chengdu) CineEye App, and it has mixed reviews saying reliability is low(for the app). One had to buy a receiver (and transmitter?) for it to work, and it's faster and smoother on iOS. It's pretty good for the price (about $220).

I am not sure why ILC manufacturers themselves don't ensure that there are a lot more accessories that do the job, way better, at good prices. And this can be transmitted to multiple devices simultaneously (upto 4?). 

• Super Members
1 hour ago, sanveer said:

I checked the reviews for the (Accsoon Chengdu) CineEye App, and it has mixed reviews saying reliability is low(for the app). One had to buy a receiver (and transmitter?) for it to work, and it's faster and smoother on iOS. It's pretty good for the price (about $220).

I am not sure why ILC manufacturers themselves don't ensure that there are a lot more accessories that do the job, way better, at good prices. And this can be transmitted to multiple devices simultaneously (upto 4?). 

Thats not been my experience at all to be honest. I've no idea why someone would need a receiver when the Android device itself is the receiver, although I could maybe see why someone would need an additional wifi router in the middle for extra range or to act as a form of signal conditioning.

There was an initial issue regarding decoding on some Samsung phones (of which mine was one) but this was solved with a new app. This is where they did themselves no favours as it is referenced in the Play store but has to be downloaded from their website.

This is the problem with creating for Android as not only are there a wealth of different target devices but because the OS is "tinkerable" even the same ones can be in vastly different states depending on what the owner has been up to.

This makes a tech support minefield, which is why Sony, Panasonic et al stay away from making one.

I think for the facilities it offers, picking up a cheap few gen old used iOS device to run it on still makes it a good value if people are wary of using it with Android.

Ok interesting. I should probably use it on an older iPad or iPhone. That should help me get an idea of how it works in the field. I've just used the Panasonic app a few times or used an attacked monitor. Maybe this would be similar. 

• Super Members
4 minutes ago, sanveer said:

Ok interesting. I should probably use it on an older iPad or iPhone. That should help me get an idea of how it works in the field. I've just used the Panasonic app a few times or used an attacked monitor. Maybe this would be similar. 

Yeah, aside from the additional monitoring functionality versus the Panasonic app, another upside of this is that it doesn't heat the balls off your camera or cut off its LCD monitor after 10 minutes like it does when you use the internal wifi.

For Fuji users it also gets round the resolution restriction they impose on internal recording when using their app.

1 hour ago, BTM_Pix said:

Yeah, aside from the additional monitoring functionality versus the Panasonic app, another upside of this is that it doesn't heat the balls off your camera or cut off its LCD monitor after 10 minutes like it does when you use the internal wifi.

For Fuji users it also gets round the resolution restriction they impose on internal recording when using their app.

Interesting. I have to try it then. Thanks 

I've actually been playing with using the CineEye with my Pocket4k as a replacement to my SmallHD Focus in order to reduce weight as well as allow for others on set to monitor at the same time. At a recent job though, I could not get the CineEye to connect to my phone. Wifi connected but I couldn't get an image. I'm chocking this up to being in a building with a ton of wifi signals. Because of this, i've been considering testing out the Android hdmi option.

The one thing that I crave in all monitoring solutions though is to be able to increase sharpness on the screen. SmallHD does this and it allows me to pull focus without the distraction of focus peaking; magic lantern also does this and its so helpful to me. I emailed Acsoon and suggested it, and they said they'd pass it on to their developers so we'll see. All that to say, I would LOVE to just use an android phone with a high quality screen as a monitor, but being able to control sharpness is my biggest need in a monitor and I kind of doubt that any of the android monitoring apps have this feature. Anyone know if that's an available feature somewhere?

• Super Members

A bit of an update.

This is the one I bought for the princely sum of €17.99

https://www.amazon.es/dp/B08BKNJP7N

usbhdmi.thumb.jpg.c5ed37e7b183cf5122d367febbbea6f3.jpg

And it works OK to be honest.

Its certainly no worse or laggier than the far bigger and far more expensive one that I've been using so as long as you manage your expectations as I've discussed earlier in the thread then it is a useful tool.

Another common drawback is the lack of an app that will give you monitoring tools but if your camera can route its own ones to the HDMI port then its not a big deal.

Tried it with the Pocket4K (which can be quirky with some capture cards) and the Sigma Fp and they are both fine and of course benefit immensely from being able to have a slim, low cost, non-battery eating, very bright tilting screen when you are out and about.

However, a big niggle with this particular one (though they all like clones of each other so it could be common) is that too much of the USB connector shaft is exposed so it can wobble in the USB OTG adapter which will cause it to lose signal as it isn't fitted flush enough to the end of the unit to support it.

Considering the low cost of the unit, the low cost of OTG cables and that I won't be wanting to plug it into a USB port on a computer, my solution to this is going to involve moulding a bit of Sugru to bridge the gap and bind them together.

Who am I kidding ?

We all know its going to be Araldite all the way.

Thank you sam rides a mtb for sharing this information ! This HDMI capture card works very well with BMPCC 4K. Much simpler and smaller than my previous solution - Zhiyun Image Transmitter. With the transmitter can also control the camera but when monitor is on the top of the camera, can easily use camera own controls. Lag is acceptable, somebody measured it at 47ms. No worst than image transmitter or other low cost monitors. Picture quality is very good. Pinch to zoom for focus is available, false colors for exposure, LUTs, etc  come from  BMPCC 4K and are controlled by it. Can use a small phone, attach a LCD Viewfinder and have some sort of EVF.   And it's cheap. What not to like ? Very good solution for me.

• 9 months later...

We defiantly need an app for that. With some basic functions like applying a LUT, False color, etc. I have connected my Sony A7S3 to this setup and the lag is minimal, very usable. Much better than GH5, no wonder everyone was whining about its lag - it is quite severe. I would love to use it instead of a dedicated monitor, cos of compactness and phone being always with you in the pocket. Its very travel friendly. And now we have modern phones with peak brightness of 1800 nits. We need this guys. I wish I knew how to program apps.