Overheat Testing 28 Cameras in Blistering Sun

John Matthews

NEWS FLASH!!  Someone is talking about camera overheating while not standing in rain / snow.

I'm sick to death of the people who talk about camera overheating coming from countries where their summer is the same average temperature as the winter where I live.  And I live in the cooler part of Australia.

The reality of the world is that colder countries are more affluent, so that's where the technology is made, purchased, and generally used:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geography_and_wealth

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
43 minutes ago, kye said:

NEWS FLASH!!  Someone is talking about camera overheating while not standing in rain / snow.

I'm sick to death of the people who talk about camera overheating coming from countries where their summer is the same average temperature as the winter where I live.  And I live in the cooler part of Australia.

The reality of the world is that colder countries are more affluent, so that's where the technology is made, purchased, and generally used:

Quite true, but all of these are changing.

I talked with my friend on Canada today, and they have had 3-4 heatwaves (35degree Celsious he mentioned) already, which is quite a normal temperature for a hot Greek summer, bot not so much for Quebec.

Desertification is already one of the biggest issues in southern Europe (and Balkans, even Hungary declared some). Overheating of cameras will be a much more important factor the next few years.

One of the reasons I stay true to my NX cameras. They have never - ever - oveheat and/or stopped recording. It would be a disaster here.

I have seen a lot of comical/tragic fails with Sony cameras, and that is why I was so critical towards them all these years. I have so many stories to tell..

1 hour ago, kye said:

I don't understand your comment.   In the US southeast it's 94 degrees today. In the US western states such as Las Vegas NV it was 108 degrees today.

Most of the US has the dog days of summer so any camera if fair game to overheat and have to own that overheating.

18 minutes ago, Super8 said:

I don't understand your comment.   In the US southeast it's 94 degrees today. In the US western states such as Las Vegas NV it was 108 degrees today.

Most of the US has the dog days of summer so any camera if fair game to overheat and have to own that overheating.

I'm not saying that the US doesn't get hot, obviously it does.

What I am saying is that camera overheating tests, both by manufacturers as well as bloggers / vloggers / news sites are typically done in very mild conditions, eg Canons official testing at 23 degrees.

Here in Australia we keep our air-conditioning at 24 degrees, so their test isn't even an indicative test of using their cameras indoors - let alone outside!  

It's great to see someone who lives in a genuinely hot climate testing overheating - it's not a common thing to see.

12 hours ago, BTM_Pix said:

HIs contraption for vlog lighting (complete with forward facing camera and monitor so he can do walk and talks with it !) was a typical example and actually yielded some impressive, if slightly impractical, results.

That setup is a little front-heavy. Personally, I like the one using a longer setup with a counterweight.

image.thumb.png.6fa2cddc38545f284c64f671eedcd0e8.png

The reason I like him most on Youtube is that he can actually afford most gear, but he gives his opinion on what he believes is the best; he's got quite a bit of experience in the industry,  and finally he's not monetized because he doesn't need the money- you know he's not just feeding you a POS to make some cash. All the stuff he buys personally. If he doesn't like it, he gives it away. For example, he gave a GH5s to the Camera Conspiracies guy. Cool.

• Super Members
1 hour ago, John Matthews said:

The reason I like him most on Youtube is that he can actually afford most gear, but he gives his opinion on what he believes is the best; he's got quite a bit of experience in the industry,  and finally he's not monetized because he doesn't need the money- you know he's not just feeding you a POS to make some cash. All the stuff he buys personally. If he doesn't like it, he gives it away. For example, he gave a GH5s to the Camera Conspiracies guy. Cool.

Yeah, the absence of the ubiquitous SquareSpace intermission is also a big bonus !

I used to ignore Markus Pix if it came up in my YouTube suggestions simply because he looked like a grown up 1970's Californian boy pop star...but actually, he has a decent channel and some of his stuff is quite interesting.

He sort of does his own thing and doesn't seem to be selling anything ie, no obvious agenda other than running his channel and having some fun doing it.

5 minutes ago, MrSMW said:

I used to ignore Markus Pix if it came up in my YouTube suggestions simply because he looked like a grown up 1970's Californian boy pop star...but actually, he has a decent channel and some of his stuff is quite interesting.

He sort of does his own thing and doesn't seem to be selling anything ie, no obvious agenda other than running his channel and having some fun doing it.

Exactly. Don't judge a book by its cover, right? He has a much bigger channel called "The healthy life". He's got several books on health and I can assure you he knows what he's talking about, probably much more than most doctors. I believe he made his first fortune in Hollywood, where he directed and shot a film... He's really not a person you can put into a box and just say who he is. At least, that's what I learned about him.

On 7/19/2020 at 9:59 AM, John Matthews said:

Exactly. Don't judge a book by its cover, right? He has a much bigger channel called "The healthy life". He's got several books on health and I can assure you he knows what he's talking about, probably much more than most doctors. I believe he made his first fortune in Hollywood, where he directed and shot a film... He's really not a person you can put into a box and just say who he is. At least, that's what I learned about him.

I would use him as a DP in a major film then some of the ones being championed on the EOS.

On 7/19/2020 at 9:59 AM, John Matthews said:

I don't agree with his Vegan views but yeah he is a cool guy. 

Hey, I was first who posted about MarkusPix on this forum. I am quiet proud of that! Now I am sure you have been watching this guy more than I did, because you´re a super cool dude, the cool cat with the GX85, right? 🙂 @John Matthews But still, makes me happy I was first to post about him. Btw, loved your posts about the GX85 back then, John. Made me pull the trigger and get one. Awesome little cam, still. Would love it if Panasonic put on out with 10bit 422 and HLG. 600 bucks and I´m sold.

42 minutes ago, PannySVHS said:

Btw, loved your posts about the GX85 back then, John.

Thanks. I was one of the first to get that camera. It still is one of the best value-based buys in terms of over-all video quality one can get, even in 2020. Since then, I've had bouts with a Sony A7rii and an Olympus PL9. I didn't really like the Sony because it was really an APSC video camera in a FF body. The PL9 rocks for me in that it has that lovely MFT size, IBIS, 4.6k downsamples 4k, a flippy screen, and a cool 2x 4k crop mode just like the Olympus E-M10 iii. Anyway, it works for me now, but I'm always on the lookout for what to get next. Really, there are so many options nowadays.

50 minutes ago, PannySVHS said:

I was first who posted about MarkusPix on this forum.

A tip of the hat to you.

52 minutes ago, PannySVHS said:

Would love it if Panasonic put on out with 10bit 422 and HLG. 600 bucks and I´m sold.

It's nice to have options, right? For me, it just doesn't work... too much work and HD space. I just prefer good 8-bit stuff and paying closer attention to my colors and exposure.

@John Matthews I remember back then when I followed your posts in the GX85 thread. Being my greatest reading pleasure on the forum those days. Still, a bit 10bit in the mix with 100mbit pixel perfect HD would be just perfect. GX85 also has a 2x digizoom mode, giving something like 2.5K video, if I remember correctly. Cannot check, cuz I am not at home and cam is not with with. Now that is a shame indeed. 🙂

1 minute ago, PannySVHS said:

@John Matthews I remember back then when I followed your posts in the GX85 thread. Being my greatest reading pleasure on the forum those days. Still, a bit 10bit in the mix with 100mbit pixel perfect HD would be just perfect. GX85 also has a 2x digizoom mode, giving something like 2.5K video, if I remember correctly. Cannot check, cuz I am not at home and cam is not with with. Now that is a shame indeed. 🙂

I don't think it had the 2x feature. It had it something for hd, but not 4k, I think. I would have got the gx80 again if it weren't for the Olympus PL9 and Full sensor readout. The 2.2 crop on the wide end murdered me when the widest lens I had at the time was 25mm. Still, a wonderful camera! Now, I have more lenses.

11 minutes ago, John Matthews said:

I don't think it had the 2x feature. It had it something for hd, but not 4k, I think. I would have got the gx80 again if it weren't for the Olympus PL9 and Full sensor readout. The 2.2 crop on the wide end murdered me when the widest lens I had at the time was 25mm. Still, a wonderful camera! Now, I have more lenses.

I am pretty sure about the 2x on the GX80/85. I will check and hopefully not disappoint. Would love a writeup from you about the Oly PL9 and some footage. And some lens nerdery in the lens thread. Back to topic: MarkusPix gave away a GX85.:)

• Super Members

Purely anecdotal and no exactly a controlled test but might be of interest regarding cooling in general with regard to the Sigma fp.

I took this picture during side by side comparison test between a Sigma SD-Quattro and a few other cameras last year.

All of the other cameras were OK (it was still rather than video after all) but the heat triggered a hitherto unknown (to me at least) temperature alarm in the SD Quattro and it shut down but it recovered after a few minutes.

The Foveon sensor cameras do run warm so it wasn't completely unexpected but maybe points to why Sigma were so particular about the cooling for the FP not just to handle RAW video but also for when they put a Foveon sensor stills camera in the same body in the future.

I might go and re-do this with the fp in video mode to see the difference but its a rather chilly 35c here today so I'll have to wait for warmer weather 😉 

DSCF0220.jpg.bcde9e37612ac3a5f836c99bf4ec0a57.jpg