Overheat Testing 28 Cameras in Blistering Sun

John Matthews

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
14 minutes ago, hmcindie said:

Sony a73 shot for 5 minutes in 4k? Beautiful.

I wasn't expecting the winner, but I also found it interesting that the camera that won cut the files up into 6-minute files; hence, not corrupting most of the footage when it overheats. Many people complain about files being cut up, but I think it does have its benefits.

2 hours ago, John Matthews said:

I wasn't expecting the winner, but I also found it interesting that the camera that won cut the files up into 6-minute files; hence, not corrupting most of the footage when it overheats. Many people complain about files being cut up, but I think it does have its benefits.

I love that he keeps sweating.  Lol

I'm surprised the G7 overheated.   I would love to see this test with the current 4K FF mirror less cameras other than the A7III.    Sony A7III lasted 5 minutes at 4K.   That's about what my A6500 would last after the first shut down. 

Good to see Justin Bieber being productive in his old age.

Interesting test though. I think it highlights overheating issues with small cameras in general, Canon certainly isn't alone. This hasn't stopped tons of people from using the A73 professionally. Tons of wedding videographers use it. 

Definitely an extreme heat situation though. 

Ouch.

He probably just voided the warranty on them all (if any still had one) unless some of them do not specify a temp range.

NX1 and A7iii operating temp range 0-40 c 32-104 f, so most likely the same for all of them.

Be interesting to know which ones (if any) had usable files after they cooked.

• Super Members

Camcorders when they found out they were invited to a heat test

Excited Killing Eve GIF by BBC America

7 minutes ago, thebrothersthre3 said:

I doubt the temps were above 104f {edit missed the first part of the video, I didn't know it gets that hot in Florida(if thats where he is from)}

110f in Las Vegas according to the description.

It was probably MORE than 110 f on that table too.

It is usually hotter where I am than where the official temps are recorded.

Mind you, when it DOES get that hot (which it does here often in summer), I am hardly going to be using a camera and will head for air conditioning (my home isn't air conditioned) or just lie on my bed with a large fan on me.

• Super Members
6 hours ago, John Matthews said:

I love MarkusPix and his channel. IMO, one of the best.

I've been watching a bit of his stuff lately myself and I really enjoy the fact that although he has a ton of gear he also has a fun DIY sensibility.

HIs contraption for vlog lighting (complete with forward facing camera and monitor so he can do walk and talks with it !) was a typical example and actually yielded some impressive, if slightly impractical, results.

1416458024_ScreenShot2020-07-18at22_06_02.png.a0cd38a156f34360be2e95ed433b1c1f.png

And his "My Camera Gear For Travelling Europe" video is an essential reference to be used in mitigation when your other half says you're packing too many lenses on your holiday !

7 minutes ago, Kisaha said:

obviously his NX1 has the hack, so its file is "unusable" (=you do can make it usable though), after the 71-72 FILE LIMIT (not time limit). Someone has to inform him. 

Also the NX500 needs a special software "treatment" to overide the 15m time limit and I have recoreded with NX500 on the file time limit many many times.

These are pretty normal temperatures for mediterranean professionals, mind you.

71-72 minutes FILE limit (that is the issue with long NX files on hacked cameras, or else is trouble, there is a solution, but very demanding on hours and knowledge).

25 minutes ago, Kisaha said:

These are pretty normal temperatures for mediterranean professionals, mind you.

Where?

Just curious, but looking at Athens temps for July last year and this year so far, they look pretty much perfect to me (mostly low 30s c up to 36 c a couple of days).

I see Athens did hit a European record in the 1977 heatwave.

7 minutes ago, noone said:

Where?

Just curious, but looking at Athens temps for July this year so far, they look pretty much perfect to me (mostly low 30s c up to 36 c a couple of days).

I see Athens did hit a European record in the 1977 heatwave.

These temperatures you mention are under shadow. In the begining of the video his thermometers were out of range.

I am working on a feautre that starts the other week, and they send us the weather forecast because we have a lot of shooting on beaches, and the forecast was 37-38 until the end of the month, under shade, of course.

Last week a did a web video on a famous beach site as a camera op and the Sachtler was too hot to catch..It took me a couple of days to cool off..

8 minutes ago, Kisaha said:

These temperatures you mention are under shadow. I am pretty sure his 

I am working on a feautre that starts the other week, and they send us the weather forecast because we have a lot of shooting on beaches, and the forecast was 37-38 until the end of the month.

Last week a did a web video on a famous beach site as a camera op and the Sachtler was too hot to catch..I took me a couple of days to cool off..

Ahh, see that is what I mean.

When he is talking about the temp being 110, THAT is ALSO the official recorded temp under cover and that is how they measure temps everywhere.

Outside in direct sun like on his table, it is probably a LOT hotter just like here when it hit 43 to 46 degrees c this year, it was a LOT hotter outside, even jut on grass, it would be hotter and on places like on concrete or bitumen roads, it would be well over 50 c.

My point is, the temps he did the test in would be beyond what most people anywhere on the planet would be using those cameras in regularly  (though I am sure there would be some).

9 minutes ago, noone said:

Ahh, see that is what I mean.

When he is talking about the temp being 110, THAT is ALSO the official recorded temp under cover and that is how they measure temps everywhere.

Outside in direct sun like on his table, it is probably a LOT hotter just like here when it hit 43 to 46 degrees c this year, it was a LOT hotter outside and on places like on concrete or bitumen roads, it would be over 50 c.

Unfortunately, we have to work under those conditions very often, especially now with the climate change, it is getting worst and worst.

We also have another phenomenon which has been increased a lot lately, Sahara dust clouds.

https://text.npr.org/s.php?sId=883555736 it reached U.S this year! imagine we, that are just in the corner (literally). This is the worst, as you can not breath easilly and the sand is toxic because of polution and illegal mining in the North African countries. You have headaches and fee terrible and week for days, if you work in the open.

Another problem that we have all the time with synch sound, is that we turn off the airconditioning most of the time (except for special airconditioning units in studios and the such) and the sound man turns the worst enemy of the set immediatelly! 

Anyway, there have been a lot of times that I was shooting together with Sony users, and I had to keep shooting alone with my NX, because they have been shut off because of overheating, especially when I was doing weddings some time ago, and weddings happen early afternoon here. 

2 minutes ago, Kisaha said:

Unfortunately, we have to work under those conditions very often, especially now with the climate change, it is getting worst and worst.

We also have another phenomenon which has been increased a lot lately, Sahara dust clouds.

https://text.npr.org/s.php?sId=883555736 it reached U.S this year! imagine we, that are just in the corner (literally). This is the worst, as you can not breath easilly and the sand is toxic because of polution and illegal mining in the North African countries. You have headaches and fee terrible and week for days, if you work in the open.

Another problem that we have all the time with synch sound, is that we turn off the airconditioning most of the time (except for special airconditioning units in studios and the such) and the sound man turns the worst enemy of the set immediatelly! 

Anyway, there have been a lot of times that I was shooting together with Sony users, and I had to keep shooting alone with my NX, because they have been shut off because of overheating, especially when I was doing weddings some time ago, and weddings happen early afternoon here. 

So you are NOT shooting in the temps he did the test in.

Those dust clouds are horrible.

We do get large dust storms here (just not on that scale) but still big enough to cover hundreds of miles and it is at its worst when there is a drought mixed with wind as all the topsoil from further west gets blown here.   They seems to have been getting worse lately with a couple each year on average now I think.    I will not use my cameras in it but it is a pain in my bathroom as it gets covered in dust through the louvered windows

@noone

Yes, we did shoot. When you have EXT scenes, you do them outside, in the exterior/most shooting happens outside in the summer, because the sun and the sea is our selling point!

Athens is the capital with the less green in Europe, so working outside in summer time is a torture. Working on the beach, the sun reflects on the sand or pebbles and is scorching hot all day.

Weddings, usually start on noon, or early afternon (5-6, which is still scorching hot), all these happens outside, or at least the ones I was doing (on islands and locations of high beauty -near the sea, beaches, old castles, e.t.c).

Actually, I am thinking to change my job after 20 years and 3 educational degrees on the subject matter, because of the weather. It is that terrible.

I may consider try a job inside a studio, but I was doing that 15 years ago, and I didn't like it at all (too boring, inside a studio all day is too much like a factory work or Kafkian-bureaucratic one.  too dark most of the time, just short brakes just outside the front or back door..not my cup of tea, better burn under the sun for the time being!).

37 minutes ago, Kisaha said:

@noone

Yes, we did shoot. When you have EXT scenes, you do them outside, in the exterior/most shooting happens outside in the summer, because the sun and the sea is our selling point!

Athens is the capital with the less green in Europe, so working outside in summer time is a torture. Working on the beach, the sun reflects on the sand or pebbles and is scorching hot all day.

It IS hot there for you,I get it, but it is NOT as hot as many OTHER places.     It is certainly not as hot as in Las Vegas for that test (at least if an ambient temp of 36 c VS 43 c to start).     I used to live near a beach in both Qld and NSW and know how hot the sand can get in summer.

I work both indoors and out now and outdoors in summer on a 40 degree day or higher means the concrete is going to be far hotter (right now in winter, while it is freezing at 8 am, by the time the sun has come up a bit just an hour or so later, working on the concrete is very pleasant and much warmer than it otherwise would be...same thing happens in summer except not so pleasant).

I would LOVE to live in a place with your summer temps, you should be proud and happy with it.

If I was rich enough, I would live in Darwin in the Northern Territory in winter and Launceston Tasmania in Summer

I hate winter but I recognize here in Wagga Wagga (capital of the world and all) it is not THAT cold by world standards in winter but it is hotter than average in summer (and there are hotter places still in Australia and the US and Asia and Africa in particular).

Back to that test, though, that was quite something and I would like to see a similar test with all the FF cameras.