Canon delivery

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
24 minutes ago, gt3rs said:

You can download 10bit h265 4k 120fps and this what did impress most of us looking at the original on a 4k screen in resolve applying our own grade, sharpening etc... you seem to comment without checking out the original and not posting a comparable pixel perfect hd. You could be right but so far is word vs footage....

Like I said perfect HD coming from Alexa or PMW F3 or C100/300, GH5(s) is beautiful. That in 120p is an attraction. The 4k120 footage on youtube didnt impress more than this. My word has been said enough for now. I believe you, that the original footage looks much better than the youtube stream. My laptop is not beefy enough for davinci and h265, let alone 4k120.

41 minutes ago, Kino said:

R5's 4k 120fps is super clean and very impressive,  but the camera in C-log simply lacks the DR of competitors like the S1H. Perhaps C-log 3 will help:

Ive read Canon is releasing firmware update for R5 that would add C-Log 3 14stops, i think Canon did this move after reading Sony rumours 😄oh boy exiting month i cant wait for tuesday.

I have never been to Berlin but I always read that it was a better place for artists than the continental US or other parts of Europe. But looks like that has changed. 

For me, the antidote to the modern world is slow cinema, which gives you room to breath and live in the world. 

But I think we take for granted things that are here and that won't be tomorrow. Everything is changing so fast, so it is important for people like us to document things at least so there is some kind of record. Otherwise it is left to the reprobates.

4 hours ago, Video Hummus said:

Thats understandable but from a FF camera, thats the worst I've seen. It feels like it was shot on a different camera.

I saw the 2 hours long live video he made to present the Canon eos R5 (french only) and he told people who were asking him about the DR that he graded the footage extremely contrasty, because he likes it this way with big crushed blacks and the waveform scope completely extended so a lot of the information is gone. I personally don't like this grading and it may be worse after the youtube compression but he told that the DR is there and that there is info in the highlights as well as the shadows before he did his extreme grading. 

4 hours ago, Video Hummus said:

Thats understandable but from a FF camera, thats the worst I've seen. It feels like it was shot on a different camera.

It could be that the camera has limited DR but how can you judge DR by a quite heavily graded shoot. It could also be bad exposed too.

In RAW I doubt it has limited DR as new canon sensors are basically on pair with Sony's one. Now in LOG and on certain mode it could be badly used but without a real DR test is a useless exercises. What is the shoot was heavily overexposed and he added tons of contrast and lower the blacks ..... 

The Mckinnon's of this world aren't making content for the audience of this site. He's making infotainment and it appears (on the surface) he's getting paid for his passion. Good on him. Many don't. Same with Polin, I find him laughable but others don't. If you like him you're right, if you don't like him you're right.

I think whatever level of interest you have in something there's content out there and you'll gravitate towards it. McDonalds is the most popular fast food and it's shite. Doesn't mean michelin star places can't exist and everything inbetween. 

There are raw footage of those 8K RAW or 4K120P out there which you can check them out yourself, kinda hard to judge DR from youtube videos which graded to extreme.

The only suggestion I have for Canon is bring the Clog to 8bit H.264 MP4 for fast turnaround scenarios.  Atm its is limited to 10bit X.265 which need to transcode in order to play properly even on fairly beast machines.

R5 overheats after 9 minutes in All-i 8K 24/30 fps (not even RAW) when testing the camera in the car (10:20). Then, a little while later when he starts recording again, it overheats much faster. This camera is basically unusable when recording longer than 1-minute clips. You also have to wonder what is happening to the long-term health of the internals (e.g., circuit board) considering the excessive heat generation. This $4K investment could easily burn out its circuits after the warranty period.

6 minutes ago, Kino said:

R5 overheats after 9 minutes in All-i 8K 24/30 fps (not even RAW) when testing the camera in the car (10:20). Then, a little while later when he starts recording again, it overheats much faster. This camera is basically unusable when recording longer than 1-minute clips. You also have to wonder what is happening to the long-term health of the internals (e.g., circuit board) considering the excessive heat generation. This $4K investment could easily burn out its circuits after the warranty period.

8k raw and all-i have the same overheating limits.

Boy is unwatchable this video bla bla bla then the heat test and he does not say at how many degrees was the car.....

Hopefully more people with do useful tests....

22 minutes ago, Kino said:

R5 overheats after 9 minutes in All-i 8K 24/30 fps (not even RAW) when testing the camera in the car (10:20). Then, a little while later when he starts recording again, it overheats much faster.

I saw the video. For anyone interested, it's near the end. Last 1-2 mins or so.

But the heat management is really terrible. Canon probably expects all users to carry an ice box with the camera, filled with ice cubes, and the camera has to be thrown into it, after every short take, to cool down. In anywhere over 35 degrees centigrade, I am guessing this may even burn the sensor or possibly explode. Scary. Not just unreliable.