Canon delivery

Andrew Reid

30 minutes ago, ajay said:

Taking the overheating aside, (for my needs, shooting 4k 120p) I would probably need to double that investment in order to store and process video from the huge 120p 4k video files. I had one on order but cancelled it once reality set in:

• I'd have to fork out at least $1,000 in CF Express chips.
  • I'd probably need to purchase a new computer and/or switch to FCP in order to edit the files: $300 to $3,000 (Davinci Resolve will work sort of, but I would have to optimize each clip in order for them to play properly. (At least on my Mac as it is.))
  • I'd have to upgrade my hard disk array for more storage to store the massive files from their codecs: $2,000

So now I'm looking at an investment in the neighborhood of $7,000 - $10,000 in order to process and store their 4k 120p files. Beautiful footage but at a price.

Either I'll stick with what I have (Z Cam E2) or switch to the A7SIII once we find out the details on that camera.

There are so many practical aspect people aren’t talking about or thinking about. When you read through the comments of Armandos video about the R5 a lot of people are upgrading from a EOS R or GH5 or A7III. Many of them are going to have a rude awakening when they get their R5 maybe with a tiny CFExpress card because they couldn’t afford a $600 512GB card (which in my opinion is the minimum needed for this camera) and shoot some video and realize it’s a complete mess to edit on their even 1 year old laptop.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
1 hour ago, Kino said:

This stuff just writes itself . . .

No sure what is the intention of this video, promotion? , say it didn't overheat in a building with air conditioning, do they think we are idiots?, of course is not going to overheat, not even an A6300 will do it. The real tests will be in two more weeks, just wait a little bit more and we will finally see if there is a DIY solution.

I mean, I can't stand Mckinnon like most, but in my experience most factory floors are not at all air conditioned. The offices, yes. The shop? I can count on one hand the amount of air conditioned shops I've been in and it is generally a specific room within the shop that is humidity controlled. Most shops have bay doors open constantly for their yard or shipping and AC would be outrageously expensive (and side note, most facilities at least in the US don't really give a shit about the shop guys). I have seen central heating in shops but practically none with anything more than ceiling fans to just swirl that humidity around you. I've worked in Ohio in July next to a gas convection powder-coat oven--I would have killed to go outside. It was substantially cooler.

So I think it's probably more of a middle ground between shooting in direct sunlight vs in an office with AC. 

I have a conspiracy theory that this is all part of a “slow let down” so as to numb the eventual pang of disappointment early adopters will feel when they buy the R5 and discover all their hero youtubers hyped this shit up.

Its weird this vlog was only 5 minutes long AND addressed the overheating problem.

1) the overheating is a problem for YouTube length content creation.

2) it isn’t and they didn’t think the weird length would cause any kind of controversy whatsoever (it does)

3) the file editing performance of the R5 is a problem for YouTube content creation...

46 minutes ago, Andrew Reid said:

It's only eye candy.

Where is the meaning?

Where's the culture?

Where's the art?

You need to have talent for that. Some people do it for a job to feed their families and aren't able to create art. I won't criticise someone for working hard and putting food on their table. But not do I expect art from them. 

• Administrators

Getting away from the personal, and from individuals we don't know, we should be talking about the general phenomena instead.

It's much more interesting.

Since when did people become so infatuated with brand ambassadors instead of filmmakers.

Peter McKinnon probably has more followers than Roger Deakins.

When I criticise a popular YouTuber it's treated like blasphemy.

We are living in a dystopia where Jesus is Kayne West, the Virgin Mary is Kim Kardashian and the religion is consumer goods.

So just as the wider general public are enthral to these lifestyles, camera nerds are to Peter McKinnon's "filmmaking"

😂

I think it must have something to do with fame. Youtube promises easy fame with minimal work/talent. 

For a young kid it is more appealing and easier to be Peter than an obscure filmmaker making films for a select few people. 

There are so few people who appreciate good art that things will never change. 

31 minutes ago, Yurolov said:

I think it must have something to do with fame. Youtube promises easy fame with minimal work/talent. 

For a young kid it is more appealing and easier to be Peter than an obscure filmmaker making films for a select few people. 

There are so few people who appreciate good art that things will never change. 

so true, you go it!!!