Blackmagic Design > RED

Neumann Films

8 hours ago, Andrew Reid said:

Don't get me wrong. I am all for camera companies speaking direct to users. But I think if Blackmagic staff are going to use this forum to promote their products and engage with customers, the very least they can do is OK it with me first and get on good terms.

I watched the video where you talke to that BM representative politely and he was very grumpy. It is indeed very, very unpleasant to not be treated with kindness or respect. Why buy from them, if the whole experience is unpleasant. I hope it works out  and they get their act together when it comes to dealing with human beings. Possibly even moreso towards people like you, who have always been supportive and helpful with feedback and big exposure on the forum.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

If I remember right, it was an audio recording on SoundCloud. 

I think both parties involved refused to see the other side of the argument and the conversation goes in circles for 20/30 minutes. 

The jist is, Andrew has concerns about customer service, and the BMD rep says if you buy a camera with issues take it back to the store you bought it from, not the BMD booth at a trade show. 

I don’t know for sure, but I would imagine Andrew was asked to take it down as the link has disappeared.

On 7/21/2020 at 12:27 AM, Video Hummus said:

Bottom line is this camera is a game changer for BM. It’s the camera where finally a custom made sensor and BRAW come together. REDs are jewelry cameras in a way. A status symbol work tool. The Hilti power tool guys that can’t believe you used Dewalt to make your deck.

Now what they should do is get BRAW in other brands cameras ASAP.

This custom sensor is a very interesting story. 

If BM, a much smaller company than Nikon, Panasonic, Olympus, Fuji, etc...could design and order to manufacture a custom sensor (and, by the description, a VERY sophisticated one), why these companies still are hostages of Sony sensor-wise?

(albeit looks like that Nikon started to use Towerjazz sensors)

2 hours ago, Márcio Kabke Pinheiro said:

This custom sensor is a very interesting story. 

If BM, a much smaller company than Nikon, Panasonic, Olympus, Fuji, etc...could design and order to manufacture a custom sensor (and, by the description, a VERY sophisticated one), why these companies still are hostages of Sony sensor-wise?

(albeit looks like that Nikon started to use Towerjazz sensors)

Probably cost. The specs explain the $10k price tag, but it also probably covers the increase in sensor costs since the camera itself isn't wildly different than previous URSA cameras, using most of the same tech. 

14 hours ago, newfoundmass said:

Probably cost. The specs explain the $10k price tag, but it also probably covers the increase in sensor costs since the camera itself isn't wildly different than previous URSA cameras, using most of the same tech. 

Apparently the internals are all new as well, which to run 12K at 60fps makes sense. That's waaaaay more data than the previous ursa camera.

On 7/21/2020 at 2:34 PM, Neumann Films said:

Like...I'm exaggerating it a bit but that was about 90% of the gist. I was pretty upset since I just dropped $10K on their product and that's the best they can muster. My first reaction to hanging up the phone was like "Fuck this...I'm cancelling". If it's that bad for trying to get a simple answer of when the cameras might ship, what happens if I actually need something?

I've had to deal with BMD a few times over the last 5 years. All my dealings in Australia have been great. You speak to a local who generally knows their stuff and seem genuinely happy to help.

In the USA however, a completely different story!

22 hours ago, newfoundmass said:

Yeah, but my question was about the other makers. Why they not choose other supplier? If BM can finance a newly developed custom sensor for a camera that will generate less revenue than a regular camera (even with the 10k price), why the others still uses Sony sensors?

5 hours ago, Márcio Kabke Pinheiro said:

Yeah, but my question was about the other makers. Why they not choose other supplier? If BM can finance a newly developed custom sensor for a camera that will generate less revenue than a regular camera (even with the 10k price), why the others still uses Sony sensors?

Scale might have something to do with it. The larger camera manufacturers need more sensors on demand (or at least consistently) to keep up with their larger production runs compared to say Blackmagic. We've become accustomed to BM having supply chain issues because it's a sort of quirk of the company, but notice we don't see any of the major players really having the same issues. Not saying is just sensors, but maybe the principle applies across the board.

Speaking of volume of sensors and costs.  It make sense that Blackmagic would use the same sensor in another camera (hopefully a less expensive version) so that they could negotiate a lower price per sensor on a large amount of sensors purchased.  Maybe they could make an 6k URSA with same sensor and sell it for $6k to replace the current G2 and use the non redundant higher noise G2 electronics..  This  would be 6k from 12k and maybe less slow motion options.  We will probably see other Blackmagic camera designs using this same sensor.