Blackmagic casually announces 12K URSA Mini Pro Camera

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
9 minutes ago, thebrothersthre3 said:

BRAW never violated RED's patents as its not true RAW. CDNG did though 

Plus, the RED patent is weak.  There is plenty of prior art in regards to wavelet compression of video.

1 minute ago, thebrothersthre3 said:

I mean I would have preferred to see something else too.

Me, too... like perhaps a shallow lens mount -- is that too much to ask?

Some try to stand out from the rest of the pack with unique images.  Such individuals value the versatility to be able to use a variety of shallow-mount lenses and shallow-mount creative adapters.

Built-in NDs that prevent shallow mounts are not useful when one needs such versatility.  Besides, there are plenty of adapters with built-in NDs that can be used on shallow-mount cameras.

2 minutes ago, ntblowz said:

But judge rule in favour of Red anyway when Apple bought up the case last year, and Apple have the best lawyers you know?

Newsflash:  Rich patent troll defeats underfunded but justified plaintiff in US patent court!

2 hours ago, newfoundmass said:

You've literally been spending the last day capping on it and bashing it, while arguing with people that are interested in it. That's not the behavior of someone that couldn't care less. Move on dude. 

all people who is talking and taking are not going to buy it, it is just talk, maybe two o three guys here have the money to afford it.

1 hour ago, SteveV4D said:

Same boat as you without the endless posts about the actual release. 🤣🤣

haha, I know is better stay in silence, but really, when you are waiting for a pocket, the rumors say a new pocket, and a brick for medium size companies is released, I have to say something!, it is really frustrating that BM is now trying to compite with RED instead of providing a better tool for the indie/solo shooter who make this company to grow in the camera market.

42 minutes ago, hijodeibn said:

all people who is talking and taking are not going to buy it, it is just talk, maybe two o three guys here have the money to afford it.

Most of the gear discussed here is out of a lot of people's budget. Your point? 

37 minutes ago, hijodeibn said:

haha, I know is better stay in silence, but really, when you are waiting for a pocket, the rumors say a new pocket, and a brick for medium size companies is released, I have to say something!, it is really frustrating that BM is now trying to compite with RED instead of providing a better tool for the indie/solo shooter who make this company to grow in the camera market.

In the last 18 or so months they've released two cameras geared toward the indie market.

On 7/16/2020 at 2:30 PM, Sid said:

Apologies if the test footage was already posted:-

Again, magenta cast in the black shirt, black hair areas. Look at 00:59sec.  What is that secondary shadow in under her nose?  At 01:06s I don't see any magenta cast.  At 01:27s the shot is horrible.  Good skin tone but at the cost of color balance.

7 hours ago, thebrothersthre3 said:

Why does it concern you lol? I am not in the market for this camera but I am happy to see Blackmagic going after a bigger market. 

This camera is obviously targeted to those that would rent or buy an RED helium and probably anyone who might consider a RED in general. Reputations can change, RED has had a long history of reliability issues and they have overcome it. I am sure Blackmagic can as well especially considering this is their first camera targeting a higher end market. At the end of the day professionals aren't going to turn down more usability at a lower cost. The question really is if Blackmagic has their quality control down. 

I can't comment on the hardware side of BM, but I've been using Resolve for some time and I can say that they've made it much more reliable over the last few years.  It used to crash once or twice per hour of use, for me anyway, but I don't think I've seen it crash in the last year even once.  They've done that even while adding the Fairlight, Fusion, and Cut pages, which integrated two other software programs into Resolve, no small feat.

Resolve seems accessible, so I think it's easy to forget that it was only a decade ago that it cost upwards of $100,000 and even today it is one of the two worlds-best colour grading platforms and used by everything up to and including the highest budget productions there are.  In that sense, making it reliable is a must as serious people expect that.

In this sense, I think BM know that reliability and service are fundamental to having a premium product, because they already own one and have customers in that market segment already.

5 hours ago, tupp said:

On the other hand, if this camera is using a striped RGB CMOS sensor, that IS notable!  The striped RGB CCD sensors always looked good, especially on the Sony S35.

Does anyone see where Blackmagic states that the camera actually utilizes a striped RGB filter on the sensor?  I suspect that they are being creative with their claims here, and could be using a Bayer filter with a twist on the low-level RGB conversion the A-D converter.

John Brawley includes lots of detail about the sensor here: https://johnbrawley.wordpress.com

It's a great write-up and may answer your question above.

19 minutes ago, JordanWright said:

I'm really not seeing the magenta cast

At 01:24s his hair does not have a magenta color to it.  In the video it has a light cast.  The same with the first scene, girl with the black top and at 01:42s, her hair is a dark brown. The next scene at 01:44 you don't see magenta cast in her hair.  It's there when you know black should not have a magenta tone at all. 

This is the CFA pattern of the URSA 12K sensor:

yzPCf0I.jpg

6x6 block instead of traditional 2x2, 18 RGB pixels and 18 white/transparent pixels, which improves SNR a bit but reduces resolution.

So the optimal shooting mode will be 4K (full RGB info without interpolation from 3x3 pixel-binning), 8K will be softer, 12K 1:1 will be very very soft.