Blackmagic casually announces 12K URSA Mini Pro Camera

Andrew Reid

I wasn’t joking you know 😀

of course, we should make fun of the guy on DPreview, more so as he probably meant it.

i have been using p4k and p6k cams in multicam shoots lately, and I have to say they are pretty impressive. The GH5 and GH5s cannot keep up with the image quality. The P6k already allows for a decent crop in post. They all keep running until the 1tb  ssd drives are full.

No overheating signs ...

If I would this kind of jobs on a daily basis, I would already have bought the 12k as a main cam.

• 4 weeks later...
EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Nobody even has this camera yet, and BMD have released a pretty amazing update for it.

Increase 12K 2.4:1 maximum frame rate to 75 fps.

Increase 8K DCI, 16:9 and 6:5 Anamorphic to 120 fps.

Increase 4K DCI, 16:9 and 6:5 Anamorphic to 120 fps.

Increase 8K 2.4:1 and 4K 2.4:1 to 160 fps.

Increase 4K Super 16 to 240 fps.

Adds Blackmagic RAW stills capture support.

Adds broadcast lens connector support.

Also updated RS readout times:

12k 17:9 -> 15.55ms
12k 2.4:1 -> 12.27ms
8k 17:9 (full FOV) -> 7.78ms
4k 17:9 (full FOV) -> 7.78ms
6k Super16 -> 7.78ms
8k 2.4:1 (full width) -> 6.13ms
4k 2.4:1 (full width) -> 6.13ms
4k Super16 -> 3.89ms

(source https://forum.blackmagicdesign.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=117834&start=400#p669631)

That's what I thought about Blackmagic RAW stills. Then I remembered it only makes things harder to edit really. For example, at the moment stills on the pocket cameras are DNGs which you can open and edit in basically anything. That's not going to be the case with Braw stills.

Also, I was kind of hoping we'd see a hack to exploit the DNG stills. Some kind of rapid fire 24fps stills function, essentially bringing back DNG video, but as a hack so BMD aren't liable to the patent BS... Maybe they also thought the same and want to put a stop to such a thing before it happens.

Blackmagic is one of the smartest companies today. While it feels like everyone else is thinking short term, they're clearly looking at the long game, especially with this release. I have no idea what their finances are like, but if they can maintain this direction they'll have so many advantages over everyone else, given their focus on the entire work flow from start to finish. 

Guten Tag @Neumann Films 

great to hear that your 12K URSA is on its way. I´m looking forward to the first samples.

What I´ve already seen from BMD and John Brawley looked awesome. I just like the BM Color-Science and BRAW aswell. Back then it was CDNG and ProRes with the BMCC and the original Pocket, ahead of Canon here. Now it is the great Codec in combination with an enormous amout of recording-modes and really high-res formats.