Blackmagic casually announces 12K URSA Mini Pro Camera

Andrew Reid

I have not seen Blackmagic make a mistake camera wise, so I have to trust that they have thought this through.  If it looks better than other 8k cameras even if it has to start with 12k and subsample then that's fine.  A big part of them getting the $10k price tag is if it is the best 8k camera output. I hope it is and that this sensor tech will trickle down.  Maybe an 8k version to get perfect 4k in a pocket pro 8k for $3000 in the future.  Hopefully, 14 stops will be usable without excessive noise or some fix pattern issue.  Hopefully the new sensor tech will not have weaknesses in low light like previous generations.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

If it has a solid 3200 iso and no fixed pattern noise it will be a winner. 

That said at the price point you may be tempted to get an FX9 or C300 MK3.

BRAW is a huge advantage though and if you want or need 8k or highspeed 4k this really is a unique option at a low price point. 

I am actually more interested in Gen 5 color science. 

5 minutes ago, Anaconda_ said:

Im not sure this is representative of the facts. The crop is only for the very high frame rates. For normal shooting, there is no crop at any resolution... As far as I understood anyway.

"You can shoot 12K at 60 fps or use in-sensor scaling to allow 8K or 4K RAW at up to 110 fps without cropping or changing your field of view. "