GH5 + Voigtländer Nokton 42.5mm f/0.95 + Isco ultra star small version. Would it work?

Marty

Good evening everyone!

I already have the GH5 (not s), the Isco ultra star small version, and I wonder if a Voigtländer Nokton 42.5mm f/0.95 would vignette or not with these and if generally speaking it would be a good idea to combine those 3 or not.

I tried to determine whether it will vignette or not using Tito Ferradans' anamorphic calculator. The calculator says it will vignette with a short scope but not a long scope. My understanding for what I could read in this forum is that my Isco ultra star small version is somewhere in between a short and a long scope.

Thanks in advance. 🙂

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

hard to judge, I think you might be ok, pretty sure i can get down to 40mm with my elmoscope type 1 with the p4k. which is m4/3. I know 35mm vignettes. however not sure how that would apply to your gh5 and ultra star. Maybe another forum member will chime in with some knowledge.

whether it looks good is rather subjective but if you like the look, who cares what anyone else thinks. Thats the interesting thing with mixing and matching. From what i hear the ultra stars are pretty clean and neutral. 

if you cant find a review on youtube with your particular combination, then your plowing new ground. With the amount of lenses and anamorphics available its a sure bet not everything is know yet.

you could beg for or borrow a 40mm lens to try and see if it will vignette or maybe buy a nice cheap 40mm lens  even if it vignettes at 40mm with a cheap lens at least you've learnt something and you can either sell the lens or keep it for times when you don't use an anamorphic lens.

i have no experience going that wide, i kinda stick to 2.39- 2.40ish. Hopefully some of the other dudes with such knowledge can help you out. To be honest i haven't done a lot of anamorphic shooting lately. I found dual focusing and issues with headaches have constrained my enthusiasm for the last couple of months However the headaches seem much improved and a fvd arrived today so i am looking forward to have a another go at it.  I think i may have gone past 2.40 by accident one time. In my limited understanding going wider makes the black bars wider at the top and bottom. Maybe im wrong but i didnt find it appealing going too wide and having thick black bars, but that could be just me.

did a test for you, 35mm with and without speedbooster on the p4k with elmoscope and fvd16a. So it vignettes quite badly regardless of how you use. I ran out of light trying to figure out how i got to 4omm the last time i did a test. I may have used i used the kit zoom that came with the canon to get 40mm i'll give it a try tomorrow. 50mm is ok i took a photo but screwed up the focus. Anyway thats the first few dng's with the fvd16a i'll have another play tomorrow.

anajumbuck.jpg

jumbuck2.jpg

There are many factors besides focal length that impact vignette. You have to get all the optics as close to each other as possible to maximize your results. Unless you get lucky and find someone who regularly uses the exact lens combo you are asking about, chances are you will have to just give it a go yourself to figure it out. Be kind to the next fellow and document your results! My best advice for finding taking lenses is to not rush things and keep an eye out for good prices, so that if it doesn’t work as expected, you can flip it and not loose out.

calebs right, got the 40mm sorted and took a shot this morning as you can see there is a slight vignette on the left. I guess the camera has twisted sideways a little. try as much as i like, the p4k seems prone to move easily i blame the cheap and probably to small quick release mount i have plus for experimenting i haven't mounted the anamorphic to the taking lens   and its a bit tedious changing things. However 40mm goes real close to little or no vignette and thats the main thing for me more testing to go but i have to move some sheep so i''l get back to it later. 

40mmlens1aa.jpg