R5 vs Used 1DX Mark II

Silenkiller

Okay so specifically for wedding/event/interview long formats (think 1 hour).

R5

4000 $ after taxes 

1.4 Crop Pixel Bin 4k to avoid over-heating ("indefinite" at 72 degrees, what about 90?) 

10 bit 4k, Autofocus, IBIS

Half Filesizes with h264/h265

1DX Mark II

3000 $ Ebay Special

1.3 Crop 4K Proven body no over heating

8 bit 4k, Autofocus, No IBIS (but tripods anyway)

Nearly double filesizes with older compression

-------------------

I wonder if the 8bit vs 10bit will be that noticeable?  Having a better filesize would be nice, but otherwise it appears to be a tie with the 1dx being more affordable? 

Missing anything here to consider?

I have the R5's pre-ordered but feeling like they are not worth the upgrade for this specific task.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
5 minutes ago, gt3rs said:

I answered in the other thread.

btw 4k ff 30fps no crop binned does not overheat (apparently from the canon doc)

Just read, thank you for the insight. Yeah trying to really feel this out since its a costly upgrade. Considering also just 1 r5 for gimbal only and stay with the 2 1dx's for the rest

2 minutes ago, Silenkiller said:

Just read, thank you for the insight. Yeah trying to really feel this out since its a costly upgrade. 

Why not wait a bit to check out some original files and some real usage reports and then decide.

Checking out the original files is also very important as they are heavy on HW requirements.... 

Forgot to add in the other post R5 4k 120fps is miles ahead than 1080 120fps of the 1Dx ii and iii that is barely usable.

4 minutes ago, gt3rs said:

Why not wait a bit to check out some original files and some real usage reports and then decide.

Checking out the original files is also very important as they are heavy on HW requirements.... 

Forgot to add in the other post R5 4k 120fps is miles ahead than 1080 120fps of the 1Dx ii and iii that is barely usable.

Yeah I can definitely see the value in having the r5 for the "short clips" of 4k60p and occasional 120 here and there. Especially for shots on a gimbal that would get the 4k60p full frame auto focus in there. Yeah maybe just need to wait longer and see real world results. Someone needs to put a damn r5 in the sun and press record on 24p already lol

• Administrators
4 hours ago, Silenkiller said:

Okay so specifically for wedding/event/interview long formats (think 1 hour).

R5

4000 $ after taxes 

1.4 Crop Pixel Bin 4k to avoid over-heating ("indefinite" at 72 degrees, what about 90?) 

10 bit 4k, Autofocus, IBIS

Half Filesizes with h264/h265

1DX Mark II

3000 $ Ebay Special

1.3 Crop 4K Proven body no over heating

8 bit 4k, Autofocus, No IBIS (but tripods anyway)

Nearly double filesizes with older compression

-------------------

I wonder if the 8bit vs 10bit will be that noticeable?  Having a better filesize would be nice, but otherwise it appears to be a tie with the 1dx being more affordable? 

Missing anything here to consider?

I have the R5's pre-ordered but feeling like they are not worth the upgrade for this specific task.

Get a Nikon D850?

Been using the 1dxII in 4k for weddings over the past 3 years. It's an amazing camera, and no bride will ever ask for more. The file sizes can suck though. I ended up with a workflow of converting the MJPEG files over to 4k h265 files, reducing the weddings by 85%, and they looked 95% as good.

It's a workaround for the biggest downside of that camera.