Toneh is upset

Andrew Reid

I am not trying to be a snob, but I just can't watch the Tony and Chelsea videos anymore.

Here are a couple of people suggesting cameras - often based on video features of a camera - and their videos are (technically) horrible.

I mean, overly sharpened and contrasty (and both of them are at that age when having less sharpening would be a good idea). I hate the 60fps motion blur (or lack thereof).

Tony's audio, in particular, is so crunchy it hurts.  And I blame @IronFilm for making me care about audio quality. Life was so much easier when I had no clue what good audio sounds like. 

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

T&C are fine, they know their audience (which isn't the audience of this site) and have some decent info for new people. They're up front about any associations they have (unlike others we won't mention). Tony's shirts appear to fit him.

They are the easy listening photography channel. 

I think on a personal level I'd like both of them. And I can't hate, they've been very successful doing what they're doing. That lake side video though that birthed the Toneh moniker, it was just too much. 

I think you can learn a lot even from non-experts, sometimes even more than you can from experts, because you see genuine trial and error. But that video at the lake, where most of his head was cut off and you couldn't see a thing behind him because BLURRY BACKGROUND! was insane. 

12 hours ago, Mark Romero 2 said:

Tony's audio, in particular, is so crunchy it hurts.  And I blame @IronFilm for making me care about audio quality. Life was so much easier when I had no clue what good audio sounds like. 

Ha! Sorry about that. 

12 hours ago, Nezza said:

T&C are fine, they know their audience (which isn't the audience of this site) and have some decent info for new people. They're up front about any associations they have (unlike others we won't mention). Tony's shirts appear to fit him.

They are the easy listening photography channel. 

You nailed it!
Want to listen to some gentle non-mentally taxing babble about photography cameras? Tuning into T&C isn't the worst you could do. 

Also, I think we can sometimes outgrow a particular source. I remember back when I was in film school I really enjoyed the website "No Film School", but now? Ugh. It's a bit rubbish. 

Did kinda wonder though, was it me who had changed (now that I've moved far beyond the "film school" stage), or was it the website that had changed?
Went to archive.og to look at early 2010's NFS stuff (or heck, look at in the mid/late 2000's! Drastically totally different). 

Indeed, the early 2010's No Film School when everything was written by Ryan himself was a very different kind of website to what it is today, and even re-reading some of those articles now in 2020 they're more enjoyable than much of the stuff NFS pumps out today. (now they're all just outsourced to anybody/everybody)

11 hours ago, ajay said:

What drives me insane with these reviewers are their commercials for Square Space. I want to throw a shoe through my monitor. Enough already with Square Space!

Did you know ajay that squarespace is the all in one platform for website building with award winning templates suitable for any kind of business?

I kinda feel sorry for T&C to be honest. I rarely watch their stuff but it must be soul sucking make those videos. 

T&C made a video where they explained how they monetise what they do and without the sponsorships they said the YouTube ad money wouldn't make them profitable.

It depends on the niche you're in but a million views is worth between $600-$7K on youtube, varies a lot. Depends on how much the advertisers value each prospect / customer.

But yeah, T&C must die a little every time they have to say the Square Space spiel.

Thanks Square Space!