New Blackmagic Announcement Soon?

ntblowz

The big issue with the ursa 4.6K was the fixed noise pattern in deep shadows and higher iso's. 

If this camera is a win at 3200 iso and with Dynamic range its a RED killer for sure. Combined with the fact that its shooting higher RES than the RED helium at less than half the price. Plus recording straight to SSD's, ND filters, and built in monitor. It just comes down to reliability after that. 

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
9 hours ago, MeanRevert said:

ZCam just breathed a sigh of relief

For now! But next month there is the BMPCC12K

9 hours ago, Katrikura said:

however it is a long term investment as it will not depreciate quickly

Disagree. We can check back in 5yrs time and see how much that URSA Mini 12K is worth. 
Hopefully a greater percentage than an AJA Cion or BMD Production Camera 4K was after 5yrs. 

9 hours ago, JordanWright said:

I love that they kept S35

Same! Although still, kinda curious that they went after 12K and gave FF a skip. 

9 hours ago, newfoundmass said:

I don't see the point of 12k personally right now, but when you compare it to other cameras in that price range, yes, $10k for a 12k camera is a bargain. You're not going to find anything like it in that price range. 

It is a "bargain" in the sense that mainstream 12K cinema cameras do not exist. RED's 8K had been the biggest "mainstream" we had before. 

9 hours ago, JordanWright said:

Rolling Shutter (Approx)
12K: 15ms
8K: 6ms

Source: John Brawley

That's impressively good. Especially for 8K. 

9 hours ago, Geoff CB said:

This would have been a mistake except for one thing:  the ability to do 4K RAW on it makes it awesome and usable on most productions. 12K is there in case you need it.

This. 
I reckon this might just maybe see more usage as a 4K/6K/8K camera than as a purely 12K camera. 

10 hours ago, MurtlandPhoto said:

I think this is a brilliant move by Blackmagic. 12K is overkill for now, sure. But, Grant explained how the camera can scale BRAW internally. So it's a great 4K camera in 2020, 8K camera in 2022, and 12K when you want to show off 😉

Exactly!
Although, I suspect it would be cheaper in the long run to buy a BMPCC4K in 2020, a BMPCC8K in 2022, and a BMPCC12K in 2024! Plus also you get to have three cameras in total at the end of it.

10 hours ago, Video Hummus said:

What a crazy year (in more ways than one), and it’s not even over.

R5/6...A7Siii...GH6 (expected)...Z6/7S

I really hope the GH6 comes out in 2020!
And that it isn't a flop like the G95 or G100 was. 

9 hours ago, Coiii said:

Film/Media: FX9 and C300 are Netflix approved.

And if you're not a Netflix commissioned production, then an ARRI AMIRA secondhand is quite close to that $10-$15K range.

9 hours ago, A_Urquhart said:

BMD have usually been quite open to allowing access to other NLE manufacturers their SDK's should they wish to implement them. We can only wait and see.

Wish the reverse was true and Z Cam's raw was workable in DaVinci Resolve. 

While this camera is certainly interesting and I can see certain advantages in pursuing 12K (though I think 6K and 8K are both already more than enough for most any production), I do kinda agree with people that it feels like the wrong camera for Blackmagic to make and put out there in this particular moment. A full frame 4K or 6K cinema camera would've probably been the smarter call, even if it is the more 'obvious' option.

5 hours ago, Vintage Jimothy said:

While this camera is certainly interesting and I can see certain advantages in pursuing 12K (though I think 6K and 8K are both already more than enough for most any production), I do kinda agree with people that it feels like the wrong camera for Blackmagic to make and put out there in this particular moment. A full frame 4K or 6K cinema camera would've probably been the smarter call, even if it is the more 'obvious' option.

The problem with doing that is it put them head to head with the FX9, which as excellent AF. They gave themselves a different category to avoid direct competition in the film space, additionally they put themselves as a leader in one specific area of the market that benefits their longstanding area of expertise, namely live television production.