New Blackmagic Announcement Soon?

ntblowz

• Administrators
6 minutes ago, AlexTrinder96 said:

So is every other resolution oversampled? Using the full sensor? 8K, 6K, 4K etc? 

IMG_20200716_180452.jpg

In-sensor scaling.

So pixel binning?

Because if it is in-sensor, it can't be oversampling, unless the sensor has some alien tech we don't know about.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
2 minutes ago, Andrew Reid said:

It is marketing shenanigans.

A banner halo product to say "We make the best technology and have 12K, but Canon only has 8K".

I don't think it exists because of demand or creativity, or doing what Pocket customers want.

There is most definitely demand. I can verify that a hundred times over. Just not with consumers. 

12k to get good 8K and then 4K 240p ?

This is BM raising their pricing level.   Now the $4,995 BM looks better and the $1995 P6K looks great.  

It's sad that they didn't give us a better sensor with better organic DR and color like the original BM cameras.   

BM had a chance to reset the field and they decided to shock the industry instead of making a better product. 

8 minutes ago, Andrew Reid said:

In-sensor scaling.

So pixel binning?

Because if it is in-sensor, it can't be oversampling, unless the sensor has some alien tech we don't know about.

Exactly my thoughts - BUT... in the video Grant explicitly mentions it is NOT pixel binning but in-sensor scaling... but he was a bit "wishy-washy" about this part. Like suggesting it would still be RAW then without explicitly stating it 😉 ... I guess thats where BRAW comes into play as it's at least "partly de-bayered" already anyways afaik...

So it's scaled "not really totally technically RAW but yeah still BRAW"........ 😄

(so technically it would/should then debayer and scale/oversample on the sensor... then the log image goes into BRAW...)

1 minute ago, Andrew Reid said:

Interesting.

But why?

Money, I guess. There's the obvious candidates (display manufacturers) but then there's weird ones that I had never thought of. Major streaming platforms, codec developers, peripherals. Not so much in the western world but they are all about pushing that tech in the East. 

2 minutes ago, newfoundmass said:

For someone like @Neumann Films I can imagine 12K is very tempting/useful for his stock footage work. Basically makes it future proof for years and years to come. 

Exactly. I don't like re-work or having to redo things. So if I travel somewhere or take time to set up a fun creative shoot...I'd like that to be "sellable" for as long as humanly possible.

3 minutes ago, ade towell said:

JB has said it's not a Bayer sensor

Hm only thing Grant said about it in the video (as far as I remember) was that it's not the typical bayer pattern... but a variation... well it is definitely not a Foveon sensor so there is not really any other possibility

I m a bit sceptical too, the DR is lower than the G2 and unless you shoot landscapes, who need that much resolution ? I spent two weeks softening models skins recently with footage from the 4.6k and that already too much if you use modern glass ( They are selling their new colour science with models with flawless skins, it s  nice but that not the norm )

I was more expecting a Phantom camera competitor, with that amount of data, they could have done a 1000fps 4k camera with no crop .