New Blackmagic Announcement Soon?

ntblowz

5 hours ago, Andrew Reid said:

Most recent manual focus full frame film below, tiny crew, basically one DP.

I get what you're saying - AF makes things easily for a single operator.

But there are now a number of very high profile feature films with a single camera operator (even Oscar nominated) shot on small manual focus cameras like the GH2, 5D 3, and in similar manner to Sigma Fp in Sin-sin for instance (GH2 sometimes at F0.95 no less).

Not only are they artistically a successful cinematic achievement, the smaller camera and more direct hands-on control for the director and cinematographer was the primary reason for getting away from ARRI or a RED.

AF also has a tendency to do what the machine wants, rather than the human.

No AF is bullet proof.

If it wonders off, that's the entire take ruined and you have to go again without any guarantees it will be better.

That short is so good.  Great acting. 

I don't see any hard focus pulls.  AF tracking would have helped in some of the outdoor walking scenes but they seem to keep the distance between camera and talent consistent.

It looks like they shot for manual focus and not a lot of camera moves.  I wouldn't change a thing. 

AF tracking is solid and not unpredictable from Sony, Canon and Nikon.  

I know I can out perform a single camera operator with manual focus rig / steady cam vs my gimbal and FF AF tracking set up. 

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

To be honest, I don't care about AF, full frame, 6K or interchangeable lens mount. I just want a efficient in-camers battery system. Is it too much to ask for 2 hours on one battery? Or at least 1:30?

I love my Pocket 4K, I love the images and the portability, but I'm selling it right now just because the battery system is really frustrating. I use it with the Metabones and Cfast cards, but the batteries are always a thing. I have multiple originals LPE6 batteries, they give around 45 minutes each but it's really annoying to have so many and change them always. And it gets worse when the camera it's on the Ronin. And I will always refuse to use a solution outside the camera, that's not the point of a pocket system.

So please, announce whatever you want, but PLEASE put a decent battery system. I'll buy in a heartbeat.

51 minutes ago, Super8 said:

That short is so good.  Great acting. 

I don't see any hard focus pulls.  AF tracking would have helped in some of the outdoor walking scenes but they seem to keep the distance between camera and talent consistent.

It looks like they shot for manual focus and not a lot of camera moves.  I wouldn't change a thing. 

AF tracking is solid and not unpredictable from Sony, Canon and Nikon.  

I know I can out perform a single camera operator with manual focus rig / steady cam vs my gimbal and FF AF tracking set up. 

AF can be good for some I suppose but then there aren't many lenses I would want to use that have AF motors. 

Personally, I don't want a quarter of the cost of a camera going into AF hardware and r&d. It's no where near as easy for BMD to implement a great and reliable AF system when they don't have their own lens mounts, lenses etc. And given the variety of cameras they make, one mount or AF system is not going to fit all.

BMD, give me a S35 or FF sensor with interchangeable lens mounts (if not interchangeable, must be a mirrorless mount with short flange distance like Canon's RF mount), built in ND, a box form factor that is easily expandable, a good battery mount like NP-F or BP-U, a small screen/evf maybe like the FS7/FX9 that doesn't chew through batteries (i'd add an external monitor anyway) and most of us in the pro sector would be very happy. I have the Pocket4k and 6K myself and use them as B Cams to Alexa and FX9 etc but they are a PITA to work with.

But then, if BMD did in fact get input from the likes of JB, I would assume we would see something far more workable than the Pockets.

I said it years ago, but an URSA Micro Pro (Z-Cam like) would be great.

19 minutes ago, A_Urquhart said:

AF can be good for some I suppose but then there aren't many lenses I would want to use that have AF motors. 

Personally, I don't want a quarter of the cost of a camera going into AF hardware and r&d. It's no where near as easy for BMD to implement a great and reliable AF system when they don't have their own lens mounts, lenses etc. And given the variety of cameras they make, one mount or AF system is not going to fit all.

BMD, give me a S35 or FF sensor with interchangeable lens mounts (if not interchangeable, must be a mirrorless mount with short flange distance like Canon's RF mount), built in ND, a box form factor that is easily expandable, a good battery mount like NP-F or BP-U, a small screen/evf maybe like the FS7/FX9 that doesn't chew through batteries (i'd add an external monitor anyway) and most of us in the pro sector would be very happy. I have the Pocket4k and 6K myself and use them as B Cams to Alexa and FX9 etc but they are a PITA to work with.

But then, if BMD did in fact get input from the likes of JB, I would assume we would see something far more workable than the Pockets.

I said it years ago, but an URSA Micro Pro (Z-Cam like) would be great.

I was talking in general terms about AF and what Andrew said. 

The great thing is you can turn AF off and go manual.  

Personally, I don't want a quarter of the cost of a camera going into AF hardware and r&d.

Where did you get that number?

Traditional camera companies have the advantage having to produce AF over the years.   

It seems like the people talking down about AF tracking have never used it.   It also comes with the "I'm a purest attitude that DP's in cinematography never use AF".   I can tell you for a fact if AF was available for RED or ARRI and worked like it does in the mirror less world then big productions would be using it and loving it.   It's technology that works and makes the job easier. 

BM needs to figure out IBIS and work on releasing that very soon.

36 minutes ago, A_Urquhart said:

BP-U, a small screen/evf maybe like the FS7/FX9 that doesn't chew through batteries (i'd add an external monitor anyway) and most of us in the pro sector would be very happy. I have the Pocket4k and 6K myself and use them as B Cams to Alexa and FX9 etc but they are a PITA to work with.

Why wouldn't you use the Ursa Mini G2 next to the Alexa / FX9?   You're in the PRO SECTOR so why not spend a little more production money and get what's already available?

What is the Pro Sector?  Is that the union thing ?

2 minutes ago, Super8 said:

I was talking in general terms about AF and what Andrew said. 

The great thing is you can turn AF off and go manual.  

Where did you get that number?

Traditional camera companies have the advantage having to produce AF over the years.   

It seems like the people talking down about AF tracking have never used it.   It also comes with the "I'm a purest attitude that DP's in cinematography never use AF".   I can tell you for a fact if AF was available for RED or ARRI and worked like it does in the mirror less world then big productions would be using it and loving it.   It's technology that works and makes the job easier. 

BM needs to figure out IBIS and work on releasing that very soon.

I've used AF on multiple cameras....The FX9 has fantastic AF capabilities but for Pro use, no one I have worked with so far has wanted to use AF capable lenses on it.

Considering the price point of most of BMD's camera lineup, AF would add a fair bit of cost relative to the camera. Most people who would want AF would want it in a small mirrorless form factor (thinking Pocket4k users here) and considering the camera was what, $1100 USD on release, had they have added AF, it would have pushed the price up substantially.

8 minutes ago, Super8 said:

Why wouldn't you use the Ursa Mini G2 next to the Alexa / FX9?   You're in the PRO SECTOR so why not spend a little more production money and get what's already available?

What is the Pro Sector?  Is that the union thing ?

Do I sense you're getting a bit snarky here? What have I said to bring this out?

The Pocket series cameras make great B Cameras because they can be rigged where the Ursa Mini G2 can't and their image quality holds up well. Their downside is that they are a finicky camera to work with. It's not to do with money, it's more to do with size and using the tool that suits the job.  

All I want in a full frame camera is in-body compressed RAW full sensor (36X24mm) readout at 24fps. It’s really that simple. I can rig up to mitigate other shortfalls, but I want that big LF sensor in a box, uninhibited by crappy codecs, without paying an arm and a leg. BMD’s Pocket line is perfect for this. Sure, the box isn’t the best, but the sensors do great things, especially with Resolve to unpack it.

Also, the Kipon Baveyes medium format booster is great and all, but if Metabones could do their own FF>MF booster sometime soon (like, yesterday?) that’d be great. I’m ready for an attainable IMAX digital alternative.

1 hour ago, Super8 said:

The P4K and P6K can be bought at a great price.  So much so that they probably undercut their cine line up block cameras. 

So what can BM do moving forward?  They're cameras are priced at the lower end.  They can't come out with a FF camera that checks all the spec boxes and keep up with the C500 or even the R5.

If they jump the shark with FF and release a SPECS camera they devalue the rest of their products. 

A logical Evolution would be to bring the Ursa Mini Line to the next level. The UMPro G1 had some great changes, the G2 brought them further, but did not change the max. resolution.

Since the Ursa Mini Pro is a great camera and basically BMD´s Flaggship, they´d probably want to refresh this line, after treating the former Pocket/BMCC/BMPC-Users with the Pocket 4K and maybe even more so, the 6K.

So releasing an Ursa Mini Ultra Pro with an FF-Sensor, 8K, advanced Framerate-Options, electronic ND, flexible Recording-Media etc. could be the way to separate the Pocket from the Ursa Line.

Keeping the highest resolution and/or Fullframe with the top of the line models, while still delivering great value with the pocket line. 

As for the MicroCinemaCamera, the original Version still offers a great image. Basically a better original Pocket without a Display and with a cube formfactor.

Now sure, ZCAM kinda did a similar thing, but I think that a small BRAW-Cube with a good 4K sensor could still be attractive. 

But I guess today we´ll see a new URSA.

54 minutes ago, Mr. Freeze said:

A logical Evolution would be to bring the Ursa Mini Line to the next level. The UMPro G1 had some great changes, the G2 brought them further, but did not change the max. resolution.

Since the Ursa Mini Pro is a great camera and basically BMD´s Flaggship, they´d probably want to refresh this line, after treating the former Pocket/BMCC/BMPC-Users with the Pocket 4K and maybe even more so, the 6K.

So releasing an Ursa Mini Ultra Pro with an FF-Sensor, 8K, advanced Framerate-Options, electronic ND, flexible Recording-Media etc. could be the way to separate the Pocket from the Ursa Line.

Keeping the highest resolution and/or Fullframe with the top of the line models, while still delivering great value with the pocket line. 

As for the MicroCinemaCamera, the original Version still offers a great image. Basically a better original Pocket without a Display and with a cube formfactor.

Now sure, ZCAM kinda did a similar thing, but I think that a small BRAW-Cube with a good 4K sensor could still be attractive. 

But I guess today we´ll see a new URSA.

Agree, it's the Ursa Mini line that needs the update. I think that they could package it a little better though. The current form factor is great for the Ursa Broadcast users as it more resembles a broadcast camera. For others though, I think BMD could pack all the top end features of the G2 plus add a FF sensor into a more compact body like Red Komodo, Kinefinity, Z-Cam etc

Would make it a more versatile camera for most.  

Just now, A_Urquhart said:

Agree, it's the Ursa Mini line that needs the update. I think that they could package it a little better though. The current form factor is great for the Ursa Broadcast users as it more resembles a broadcast camera. For others though, I think BMD could pack all the top end features of the G2 plus add a FF sensor into a more compact body like Red Komodo, Cinefinity, Z-Cam etc

Would make it a more versatile camera for most.  

Allthough it pisses me off when they release a new ursa mini body every year. Whenever I bought the last one and it devaluates my product. If you buy a C300 III, you know canon wont release an update in the next 5 years, which makes it a pretty safe investment. 

16 hours ago, Geoff CB said:

What would be the point of it if you couldn't crop into the center for MTF lenses? Don't really see the point to use the mount when there are more AF adapters for E-mount and will be more future lens choices for L and Canon R. I would love a Z-mount but I know that doesn't have a shot in hell of happening.

Of course you could have the option to do moderate gentle crops in to use native MFT lenses. 

And the reason for MFT is because it is actually doable!

While an active Sony E Mount has no chance in hell (I honestly think a Nikon Z Mount from BMD is more likely than E Mount).

5 hours ago, mercer said:

"Christmas in July" ... fire sale for the P4K?

I'm fairly certain my next camera purchase will be the Sigma FP, but a P4K for $650 might sway me.

Yes!!!! A repeat of the famous original Pocket sales, a Pocket for sub $500 again please. That's how I purchased my OG BMPCC, definitely would get the Pocket 4K if it was priced like that again.