New Blackmagic Announcement Soon?

ntblowz

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Great read Andrew! 

On the BM forums John Brawley said 'This is one that’s worth making the time to watch....' I can't see it just being a firmware update (unless it enables the camera to make you breakfast)

Very interested on what they come out with. I think a Pocket Pro is viable but i'm only hesitant as it hasn't even been a year since the 6k yet. A 6k Micro would make the most sense to me, a lot of people seem to like the 'camera in a box' style as shown by z-cam and Komodo. Although I don't see why they wouldn't just use the S35 sensor from the Pocket 6k, It's a fantastic performer.

2 hours ago, Andrew Reid said:

ARRI Alexa LF users would disagree.

That's a camera that is used with a full production crew, DP, AC, Focus Puller, Director, Assistant Director . I doubt many  shooting with the Pocket Camera Full Frame will not be. Full Frame with out really good AF is useless in my opinion .

• Administrators

Most recent manual focus full frame film below, tiny crew, basically one DP.

I get what you're saying - AF makes things easily for a single operator.

But there are now a number of very high profile feature films with a single camera operator (even Oscar nominated) shot on small manual focus cameras like the GH2, 5D 3, and in similar manner to Sigma Fp in Sin-sin for instance (GH2 sometimes at F0.95 no less).

Not only are they artistically a successful cinematic achievement, the smaller camera and more direct hands-on control for the director and cinematographer was the primary reason for getting away from ARRI or a RED.

AF also has a tendency to do what the machine wants, rather than the human.

No AF is bullet proof.

If it wonders off, that's the entire take ruined and you have to go again without any guarantees it will be better.

I'm hoping for all what @Andrew Reid has in his wish list, especially  the mount like what kinefinity have. I would love a zcam-ish box or even a URSA micro body. Putting the "Pro" in the title if true would mean they would add "pro" features like internal ND, articulating screen which can be turned off. There is a BUT in here because they would have to add this new wonder mount to the ursa line as it's their flagship which makes me think they will go with EF "Boooooo" and PL or fingers crossed user changeable. 

40 minutes ago, m0fe said:

I'm hoping for all what @Andrew Reid has in his wish list, especially  the mount like what kinefinity have. I would love a zcam-ish box or even a URSA micro body. Putting the "Pro" in the title if true would mean they would add "pro" features like internal ND, articulating screen which can be turned off. There is a BUT in here because they would have to add this new wonder mount to the ursa line as it's their flagship which makes me think they will go with EF "Boooooo" and PL or fingers crossed user changeable. 

This will make it quite expensive I'm afraid. But if they give the right combination at the right price, it should blow the competition out of the water. I have high hopes and might look to add one to my 6k, which is already camera enough for me! Really, if they just fixed the useability of the 6k for a little more price I think most people would be thrilled, seeing as that camera's image and workflow are soooo good. But at the same time, most people have figured out ways to overcome the 6ks deficiencies and don't need a FF sensor. The DR and low light for the pocket are already good enough.  

On Blackmagic forum John Brawley wrote:

Are you familiar with what some in the Southern Hemisphere call Christmas in July ?

It's a major camera announcement, almost no doubt about it. BMPCC 4K and 6K still fly off the shelves, and are most likely profitable for BM. So it makes perfect sense to extend the line with a Full Frame body. If Z-Cam can do it, BM can do it as well.

3000 $ will translate to 3000 Euro and for that price expect

- better body ergonomics as camera should be suitable to take photos as well. Old BMPCC4K / 6K shell/body is a no go for me.
        - articulating screen
        - some sort of modular design
        - mirrorless mount
        - better battery life

It's clear that sensor is very good, dual ISO, very good low light, etc. and Blackmagic has all the ingredients to make the cinema part - BRAW, great user interface, all I/O ports. But don't think they have the engineering force  to implement IBIS or good autofocus. So it's not realistic to expect those.

Very unexpected but quite logical development from BM. Can't wait to see the camera. 😀

15 hours ago, JordanWright said:

My moneys on an update to the Micro Cinema Camera, It's the only 'older' camera in their current lineup. I assume it'll be a box version of the Pocket 6k. Probably EF mount, it looks like they are trying to unify the lineup to 1 mount.

I would love this but with interchangeable mounts like the Zcam e2.

8 minutes ago, stephen said:

On Blackmagic forum John Brawley wrote:

Are you familiar with what some in the Southern Hemisphere call Christmas in July ?

It's a major camera announcement, almost no doubt about it. BMPCC 4K and 6K still fly off the shelf's, and are most likely profitable for BM. So it makes perfect sense to extend the line with a Full Frame body. If Z-Cam can do it, BM can do it as well.

3000 $ will translate to 3000 Euro and for that price expect

- better body ergonomics as camera should be suitable to take photos as well. Old BMPCC4K / 6K shell/body is a no go for me.
        - articulating screen
        - some sort of modular design
        - mirrorless mount
        - better battery life

It's clear that sensor is very good, dual ISO, very good low light, etc. and Blackmagic has all the ingredients to make the cinema part - BRAW, great user interface, all I/O ports. But don't think they have the engineering force  to implement IBIS or good autofocus. So it's not realistic to expect those.

Very unexpected but quite logical development from BM. Can't wait to see the camera. 😀

Mirrorless mount? What do you mean by that? BMD cinema cameras are already mirrorless and the mount has nothing to do with it.

full frame would be awesome, even better give it a flippy screen then it would be full awesomeness . It is 2020 after all, post corona dictates smaller groups or even single entity productions. give the masses what they want and we will buy it like candy. Heck i'll even do a redraw on the mortgage😎  If they could throw in a bigger battery that would be helpful too.  Since bmd are wise enough to use fpga's they can throw what ever they like in as a bonus (like ibus or autofocus ).  Fpga's give them the option of finetuning via updates  as they desire. They can build it like a  cube, camcorder or whatever,  just so long as it doesn't over heat as that would be embarrassing.

edit : additional hardware may need to be builtin first for ibis or auto focus  but if they can put the basics in and dial the rest in through software i think their on a winner. Personally i'd be happy with a full frame, flippy screen and bigger battery.

36 minutes ago, Bandido said:

Mirrorless mount? What do you mean by that? BMD cinema cameras are already mirrorless and the mount has nothing to do with it.

BMPCC 6K has EF Mount. Yes there is no mirror in it but it comes from Canon DSLR and flange distance is 44mm, it was designed and used for SLR/DSLR cameras. By mirrorless mount mean short flange distance - 18-20-22mm.   Like Canon RF mount which is designed and used in mirrorless cameras. So in my understanding not all BM cameras have mirrorless mount.  m43 can't cover FF.  So they have to borrow / implement a mirrorless mount from another camera system and most likely pay royalties. Andrew wrote in the article what would be the best solution.  Bottom line is that EF Mount which covers FF won't do it for me. They can very easily simply take BMPCC 6K body and place a FF sensor in it. Hopefully they won't just put a new version of BMCPP 4K/6K with FF sensor but have a new camera design as well.

Full Frame option with options.

Black Magic has sorta has a not so future proof business model right now. 

The P4K and P6K can be bought at a great price.  So much so that they probably undercut their cine line up block cameras. 

So what can BM do moving forward?  They're cameras are priced at the lower end.  They can't come out with a FF camera that checks all the spec boxes and keep up with the C500 or even the R5.

If they jump the shark with FF and release a SPECS camera they devalue the rest of their products.