Ideas for next EOSHD challenge

Andrew Reid

• Administrators

The last one where we had to find the best camera under $200 was a hoot

Best technical image was the 4K GX85 but the videos also had various levels of ingenuity and creativity.

I am open for ideas for that the next challenge could be 🙂

Best low light camera for under $500?

Most cinematic look for $300? (Regardless of resolution)

Music video shot with one prime challenge?

Let's settle on a theme and see if we can get the next one going.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
1 hour ago, Andrew Reid said:

The last one where we had to find the best camera under $200 was a hoot

Best technical image was the 4K GX85 but the videos also had various levels of ingenuity and creativity.

I am open for ideas for that the next challenge could be 🙂

Best low light camera for under $500?

Most cinematic look for $300? (Regardless of resolution)

Music video shot with one prime challenge?

Let's settle on a theme and see if we can get the next one going.

Great stuff!

Music video with one prime is a great idea...  lots of room for creativity 🙂 

I like the music video idea, but it gives lots of room for creativity. Maybe if changed to Music video shot with a 35mm Prime.

Another idea would be to recreate a well known movie scene, for example a blade runner interview scene, a star wars sunset, a rocky training-montage, or another famous scene. 

What about something really simple;

Natural light only

All audio must be recorded at the time of the shot (real time as it where)

---

Or it could be joint projects - you post an ungraded edit, and the next person to post their video grades your project. Then have a prize for best story and best grade to ensure there's no sabotaging going on haha.

To avoid sending big files, you could send tiff frame grab from each shot for the grader to work with, and then they send you their project for you to copy paste the grade onto the original footage... of course, this relies on people using the same software so might be tough to coordinate.

1 hour ago, Anaconda_ said:

Or it could be joint projects - you post an ungraded edit, and the next person to post their video grades your project. (...) 

To avoid sending big files, you could send tiff frame grab from each shot for the grader to work with, and then they send you their project for you to copy paste the grade onto the original footage... of course, this relies on people using the same software so might be tough to coordinate.

Cool idea, grouping 2-3 people (1 Director/DoP/Editing, 1 Grading/VFX, 1 Sound and Music)

You´d have to create Teams based on software I guess, but it would be an interesting experiment. You´d need to have a precise theme for the clip though, to keep it somewhat comparable, for example: dystopian setting, scifi-element, a chase- or hunting-scene, a silent, emotional scene, at least one green-screen element, integration of some sort of miniature, ...

1 hour ago, Mr. Freeze said:

recreate a well known movie scene

Or produce a short featuring a day-to-day activity in the style of a famous scene...

Requires a bit more creativity than simply reproducing a scene. Also facilitates interesting interpretations of “style”.

13 hours ago, BTM_Pix said:

I think YouTube camera review videos shot on unusual cameras would be good.

Like an R5 review shot on a thermal imaging camera for example.

r5.jpg.baa2661ee27ae155c638da199f7f92ed.jpg

Here's a still from my latest video.  I forced my wife to star in it, but don't worry - I used peril-sensitive-glasses as an ND filter:

40687.jpg

On 7/13/2020 at 7:22 PM, BTM_Pix said:

I think YouTube camera review videos shot on unusual cameras would be good.

Like an R5 review shot on a thermal imaging camera for example.

r5.jpg.baa2661ee27ae155c638da199f7f92ed.jpg

your naughty...   Btm_pix, but i do like it 😃 perhaps its time for a remake of the apollo moon walk. conceptual picture for illustrative purposes only. btw i have nothing to use i'll need another prime lens  cough, cough,😉

edit : if i come last ( again )  you'll have to pry the p4k out of my cold dead hands 😝

lunawalk.jpg

My Eureka moment:

I was wondering about these new cameras and older new cameras like BM Pocket 6K and all these image monsters. Then Andrew posted some rumour about a full frame Blackmagic camera and youtubes algorithm put some BM Pocket 6K footage infront of my nose.

Now the challenge! Produce some of these shiny camera showcase footages with an 8bit HD camera! Challenge the claim superiour image quality by these dynamic range monsters. Reshoot the shiny ads with an 8bit HD cam. GH1,2,3, no. 4 in hd, nikon dslr, canon, whatever. Challenge it with beautiful 8bit rec709 glory. Special category 8bit LOG, but HD only. So I am talking about monster footage like this from the 6K Godzilla Cam. Darn, tough as bricks challenge. Maybe we need to shine with orginality as well. And keep your fingers off that IBIS 🙂