Disappointed in the Canon R6 - Coming From A Canon User

herein2020

17 minutes ago, herein2020 said:

I would love to reduce my kit to a C200 for long form, R5 for photography, and R6 for B-cam and hybrid photo/video shoots....but it looks like I'll need to wait on the Mark II versions for that to happen and knowing Canon that could be 4yrs from now.

Well I got R6 pre-ordered.. C200 and R still gonna be the main workhorse, i might try borrow ninja v and see how that goes for extended shooting.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
19 minutes ago, hijodeibn said:

2020 is a lost year, I will stay in quarantine until January 2021, then will look through the window and if all is the same will come back to bed.

Yes... I dreamed the R5 and... it is a total disaster. I dreamed that A7SIII and... it is a big question mark.

I guess really... what I was hunting since the beginning, the S1R is really a great point for me also if... to be in the right, after purchasing that 1.4 for my NX1 I am loving it!

5 hours ago, sev7en said:

Yes... I dreamed the R5 and... it is a total disaster. I dreamed that A7SIII and... it is a big question mark.

I guess really... what I was hunting since the beginning, the S1R is really a great point for me also if... to be in the right, after purchasing that 1.4 for my NX1 I am loving it!

I loved the idea of switching my entire kit over to an EVA1, S1H, and S1 but I couldn't do it; I feel like the L mount is DOA, the lens selection is still nearly non existent and expensive, and of course AF is nowhere to be found. I would love to take Panasonic seriously for photography but I just can't and my current system works too well to spend $30K to lose lens selection and AF just to gain a few video features.

Given the big R5 and R6 disappointments I love my 5DIV, C200, GH5 combo even more; its far from perfect and is a weird mix of different shortcomings (5DIV no IBIS, terrible 4K codec, GH5 terrible highlight rolloff, no AF, bad color science, useless for pictures, C200 A cam only, no 10 bit, too big and bulky for gimbal work), but together I can do just about any job that comes my way (lets not forget various drones and GoPro for underwater work).

The good news is Canon managed to make so many major screw ups with both the R5 and R6 that they have helped me to better appreciate the reliability and capabilities of my current gear. With all of that said, if Panasonic did release a GH6 with DPAF and 4K120 I probably would replace the GH5 with the GH6.

I feel the same. If they release SH2 with AF, FF4K60p, and somehow convince Tamron to release L-mount versions of their lightweight E-mount lenses, that system would look very appealing.

I also have the GH5 that I also hate the color science of, along with the gamma curves and highlight roll off.  Mainly keep it around in case I need a stage cam or something that lasts long and just "works".

Using the A7III for everything else, despite it's shortcomings.  Light decently and the results are pretty good.

On 7/28/2020 at 11:44 PM, herein2020 said:

What part of overheating has to do with specs? You can't even shoot 480p if your camera has overheated. If I cared about specs I would have been interested in the R5 just because it has the larger 45MP sensor. To me dual card slot recording, true hybrid capability (50/50 photo/video), reliability, and AF for gimbal work are more important than specs.

Of course maybe you just meant in general at which point I agree with you; if Canon had released reliable 4K120FPS, dual card slot recording, no recording limit time limit, and reliable cut off limits for 4K120fps that were not thermal related I'd have pre-ordered the R5 or R6 (whichever provided this capability). As it stands now, I'm going to sit back and enjoy my 5DIV, C200, and GH5 for at least 2 more years until the dust settles. 

I mean in general, people just want everything from high megapixel, FF, high frame rate in the palm of there hands. At least in todays tech it is impossible. If let's say for example they did a Canon 5D style body, half of the internet would be complaining about that ginormous size, how they can't walk anymore because the camera broke their back. My Z6 is at the limit for me because my little finger barely hold up, I just can't understand how those Sony or even Fuji people use their camera. Nowadays I don't remove my camera cage anymore to have a firm grip.

9 hours ago, scotchtape said:

I feel the same. If they release SH2 with AF, FF4K60p, and somehow convince Tamron to release L-mount versions of their lightweight E-mount lenses, that system would look very appealing.

I also have the GH5 that I also hate the color science of, along with the gamma curves and highlight roll off.  Mainly keep it around in case I need a stage cam or something that lasts long and just "works".

Using the A7III for everything else, despite it's shortcomings.  Light decently and the results are pretty good.

I really want to like Sony but I'll admit it...I dislike everything Sony;  the display models that I picked up in retail stores and played with felt like toys, the menu system was terrible, the buttons plasticky and way too small not to mention their dismal XLR support and proprietary flash and mic systems. The A7SIII actually looks pretty good except the menu system and IBIS, but I just can't bring myself to buy a Sony and I'm definitely not buying another camera that cannot take photoshoot quality images (except the GH6 since I already have MFT lenses).

3 hours ago, Danyyyel said:

I mean in general, people just want everything from high megapixel, FF, high frame rate in the palm of there hands. At least in todays tech it is impossible. If let's say for example they did a Canon 5D style body, half of the internet would be complaining about that ginormous size, how they can't walk anymore because the camera broke their back. My Z6 is at the limit for me because my little finger barely hold up, I just can't understand how those Sony or even Fuji people use their camera. Nowadays I don't remove my camera cage anymore to have a firm grip.

I agree with you, the spec war is ridiculous, I do think 4K has a very important place today; not for viewing but for recomposing and delivering in 1080P. Unless the customer specifically requires it I don't deliver anything in 4K. I've also actually gone full circle with gimbals, I used to gimbal everything but now I shoot a lot handheld, the GH5 IBIS is that good, its so much faster and easier to just pull out and start filming and you don't always need to walk to get great clips. Shooting handheld also lets you shoot with bigger rigs because you can bring it closer to your body and into a more natural position which is how I shoot my C200 sometimes vs. a tripod; it actually feels really good handheld so I don't mind bigger rigs, they just have to be reliable.