Canon R6 overheats as well.

Matthew19

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

..or just shoot normal 4K for your long recordings and sprinkle 8K/4K60p/4K120p when available/necessary. those modes will eat up storage space anyways so not great for long recordings. that is how I shot with 5D3 + ML RAW or even on EOS R (FHD+ FHD HQ / 4K).

according to a R5 tester on YT, the camera never fully shuts down during overheat and still allows normal 4K shooting:

Yes, just locked out the modes that cannot use. When it is overheated, it will like this: - When you choose 8K/4K oversampled/4K 60p/4K 120p, the remaining time on screen will show 00:00 - When you switch to normal 4K 30p/normal cropped 4K 30p (which is 5K oversampled)/Full HD, it will resume normal. At the overheated stage, I have shot about 30 4K footage ((1-5 min per clip) in a roll, and it just works normal. Never shut down or show any warning (condition: 32C outdoor).

52 minutes ago, David Bowgett said:

I thought the X-T4 (and X-T3) suffered from overheating problems after about 20 or so minutes as well?

I normally use my XT3 on a monopod, continually charging from an Anker power bank, 9-15 hour mainly outdoor weddings in SW France, usually a minimum of 30+ degrees C, often in direct sunlight and it can and does get hot, but I never had so much as a warning light all last year.

But I mainly only shoot clips all day long, in 4k 50p, h.265, 10 bit and switch off between shots just as a habit without even thinking about it.

I have used one of my XT3's however for 30+ minutes (with battery grip) by manually stopping recording at a convenient point and then immediately switching back on, such as between readings, but again, it has got hot, but no warnings and has never shut off. Shooting 4k 25p.

For long static stuff such as ceremonies & speeches, I normally use a Sony 1" camcorder on a tripod and was planning on dedicating an XT3 next year for all longer 'video' work when I upgrade my 'filming' camera, but now after reading various reports etc here about over-heating in general, I'm rethinking that and think I'll not risk it or go with a camera with a fan such as the S1H.

11 hours ago, David Bowgett said:

I thought the X-T4 (and X-T3) suffered from overheating problems after about 20 or so minutes as well?

Μy Χ-Τ3 has been a rock. I am now filming a short film at 35C+ ground temp  weather, lots of direct sunlight, powered by an external usb-c power bank. It warms up but it works great and the video is just lovely...

P.S I do not do 30+ minute shots so I cannot comment on that...

17 hours ago, David Bowgett said:

I have my X-T3 on a rig powered by a D-tap battery. I've done multiple shoots where I've hit the recording limit and then hit record again and again for an hour and a half or more, no problem.

I've also livestreamed for 2 plus hours straight in a room warm enough to make sweat stick my shirt to my back (without recording).

Nothing bakes like direct sun. I'd be interested to shoot in 4k 60p 10 bit for an hour or so and see what happens. 

That said the XT3 definitely performs pretty well. I had overheating issues a lot with my A6300. I had issues with the XT30, but I assume its due to the smaller body. 

14 hours ago, Django said:

1DX2 won’t overheat but you’re dealing with a DSLR brick, crop factor, 8-bit recording and the terribly inefficient MJPEG codec will fill up your card faster than the R5/R6 reaches overheat limit! 

Well the 1dx III is FF and has IPB 4k 60p and its oversampled. No overheating. 

20 hours ago, Andrew Reid said:

Suuuure.

Canon 1D X II has 4K60. Doesn't overheat.

Doesn't count. It got cripple hammered with terrible rolling shutter and yuge codec. Also it costs about the same as the C200 and is about the same weight too.

I'll have to wait to see if there are any overheating problems when using an external recorder, as for the majority of times I suspect it won't be an issue, but if I'm on a full days shoot, recording several interviews or say a conference I want to know I can use  it paired with an external recorder. I do have a old c100 thats been a great tool, but I want all the features the r6 brings to the table (low light, reliable autofocus, full frame, being able to use my canon glass, image stabilisation with slow mo, 10 bit, good enough quality photos, reasonable dynamic range, flippy screen, small body). It ticks all the boxes on my list if there isn't heat issues with external recording this will be huge for me.

On 7/13/2020 at 5:09 AM, Django said:

No DPAF in 4K60p though.

Oh I forgot about that. you're right that was a huge pain the only way around it was going to 4k 60p with a 1.3x crop, which also sucked when you're all framed up for a FF shot. 

• Administrators
On 7/13/2020 at 10:56 AM, Inazuma said:

Doesn't count. It got cripple hammered with terrible rolling shutter and yuge codec. Also it costs about the same as the C200 and is about the same weight too.

I know all that but I only mentioned it to prove you wrong. You said you need to use a dedicated video camera to avoid overheating.

I rest my case.

1 hour ago, Andrew Reid said:

I know all that but I only mentioned it to prove you wrong. You said you need to use a dedicated video camera to avoid overheating.

I rest my case.

My point still stands that from Canon's point of view if you want to to do long form video you still need to buy at least a c200.