Schneider Xenon full frame cine lenses. Old price €4320. New €1590!

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Wow.

These lenses look like they measure very nicely too.

https://www.lensrentals.com/blog/2019/05/just-the-cinema-lens-mtf-charts-xeen-and-schneider/

and the quality control looks to be excellent:

https://www.lensrentals.com/blog/2017/08/cine-lens-comparison-35mm-full-frame-primes/

The drop-off in resolution towards the edges of the frame remind me of the Zeiss CP.2.

Xenon-FF-35mm-T2.1_MTF_Average.png

Compact-Prime-CP.2-35mm-T2.1_MTF_Average

1 hour ago, photographer-at-large said:

Perhaps Irix cine lenses at less than $1300 each, SLR Magic APO EF lenses at $1200 each, and upcoming Meike full-frame cine lenses has something to do with it?

Perhaps. However Schneider has a massively better reputation / longer history than any of those other brands. I mean,  Schneider has won a technical Oscar after all their lenses! A win that none of those other brands are even close to ever claiming. 

They don´t really match my budget, I´m still using my Samyang/Walimex VDSLR-Lenses a lot, but this Schneider Kreuznach Lenses seem really great, especially with the new price.

Looking at the photo/video with the Sony FS5, they appear to have a good, but not too big size. 

On 7/11/2020 at 5:41 AM, IronFilm said:

Perhaps. However Schneider has a massively better reputation / longer history than any of those other brands. I mean,  Schneider has won a technical Oscar after all their lenses! A win that none of those other brands are even close to ever claiming. 

A really impressive accomplishment for sure.

However, other lens manufacturers with competitive products, and a notorious cinematographer using their glass, could probably buy a PR campaign --and thus a chance to win at the Academy if they so choose. 

The Oscar is not some agnostic award, its political.  Yes, even on the science side of things.

Winning is cool and great, but no need to place complete merit on a product based on what statues are given out by the Academy. 

That said, you can bet I'd change my tune if I was ever nominated for one!

1 hour ago, Jkitchens said:

Is there a place in the states to take advantage of these deals?

Hi John,
I think this is for EU only and the dealers are not allowed to ship to the US.
You can still try to e-mail each of them to see if this is the case.
Or if there is no other solution, you need to ask someone nicely who is located in the EU to ship them to you  😉

16 hours ago, fuzzynormal said:

However, other lens manufacturers with competitive products, and a notorious cinematographer using their glass, could probably buy a PR campaign --and thus a chance to win at the Academy if they so choose. 

They "could", but they haven't.

16 hours ago, fuzzynormal said:

The Oscar is not some agnostic award, its political.  Yes, even on the science side of things.

Filmmaking itself is inherently political. 

Hypothetically speaking, put your imaginary producer hat on for a moment:
Imagine two otherwise identical DoPs you're considering hiring, you're reading though their gear list... one has Schneider lenses, the other has SLR Magic / Meike  lenses. Which are you going to lean towards hiring? (all else assumed equal)

Thus my point, if you're in the position to buy a low/mid end set of cinema lenses then it is quite compelling to go for these Schneider lenses over SLR Magic / Meike / etc