Z-cam releasing ToF module

newfoundmass

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
  • Super Members
24 minutes ago, kye said:

Cool.

What are the benefits of ToF vs PDAF?  @BTM_Pix would know 🙂 

If your camera has PDAF then there aren't any.

If it doesn't, then it can be faster than what you do have.

The real benefit is in when you camera has absolutely no AF of its own....

But its not all sweetness and light.

14 minutes ago, sanveer said:

The tech team in Panasonic should be embarrassed. Or maybe they're not announcing it to prevent slowing down sales of current cameras?

I’m really hoping to see some reliable AF tech in a GH6. Otherwise, depending on what the A7Siii brings I’ll be investing in either canon or Sony moving forward.

Sony doesn’t inspire me as much for whatever reason.

7 hours ago, Video Hummus said:

I’m really hoping to see some reliable AF tech in a GH6. Otherwise, depending on what the A7Siii brings I’ll be investing in either canon or Sony moving forward.

Sony doesn’t inspire me as much for whatever reason.

I completely agree with that viewpoint. Not sure why Panasonic isn't making autofocus their biggest priority right now. Almost everything else seems acceptable (dynamic, colour science, codec, even low light and other things which could be improved for better usability but aren't unusable) and some things are also exceptionally well executed (IBIS, unlimited, recording times, HDMI albeit a slight lag, ergonomic especially for the G9 and GH5 etc).

Also, while PDAF (and the Dual Pixel version of it), is usable for stills and video on Canon and Sony, it is far from actually being usable from a creative perspective. Which means the algorithms and the options to make creative choices in software interface, in camera, are mostly missing, right now, across all manufacturers. Once Panasonic fixes the speed and accuracy of the autofocus, it could lead the way for the correct creative implementation of autofocus, with the sole purpose of making focus pulling usable, creatively, in single camera operations for for tiny crews on low budget features. I am guessing there would be atleast a 3 x 3 (if not 5x5) option necessary to fix this. 

1 hour ago, sanveer said:

Also, while PDAF (and the Dual Pixel version of it), is usable for stills and video on Canon and Sony, it is far from actually being usable from a creative perspective. 

The DPAF on the C300 Mk2 and C200 is really incredible. The “one touch focus” feels very natural and is totally usable. The manual focus with auto assist also works really well. I think you’re wrong that it is not usable from a creative perspective. 

I would love to be able to record a focus adjustment and the have the camera mimic it back. Doesn’t seem too difficult. I’m not sure this feature would do much to help Canon sell more camera though.... 

7 hours ago, sanveer said:

Almost everything else seems acceptable (dynamic, colour science, codec, even low light and other things which could be improved for better usability but aren't unusable) and some things are also exceptionally well executed (IBIS, unlimited, recording times, HDMI albeit a slight lag, ergonomic especially for the G9 and GH5 etc).

Yes, they have had a complete package for 3 years now minus AF. You would think it would be essential for them to get it right this time...

GH5 got more things right then wrong, by far. They could add PDAF, keep the current feature set and maybe add 10-bit in all modes and they would be competing with the latest cameras just released.

It doesn’t have to be PDAF or whatever. It could be mythical perfect DfD system if the hunting is gone, the pulsing is not noticeable, and it tracks correctly.

So for as much as 2020 has sucked ass, its shaping up to be an exciting camera year.