Canon R accessories

Emanuel

With the new R5, there will surely be people who will be thinking to adopt one for their arsenal like me : )

Not yet decided, but I am impressed so far to be sincere, so here is my fair wondering.

How many of you have used good oldie EF lenses going on this new* mirrorless series?

What about AF?

And stabilization in-camera with on EF glass side, for video purposes?

Here's something neat I've found:

* to me, at least : -)

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Basically it is best to wait for more impressions, the capabilities are laid out quite clearly, we just don't know how it is in practise.
Canon only told people that EF lenses with IS are working together with the IBIS on the sensor. But they've only given the stabilisation figures for RF lenses, which will work even better with the gyro sensor in the camera with the faster communication interface.

The RF 24-105mm f/4L IS kit is especially appealing with great IS (better than the EF versions) and almost no focus breathing or AF noise for a relatively low price if bought as a white box item or as a kit together with the camera body.
But again, we'll need to wait to see how they compare, maybe the IBIS is already really good with EF lenses as well, so anybody with EF lenses are likely to be happy with this release.

12 minutes ago, Geoff_L said:

A dumb question for the vnd adapter users : is there a covering removable part for when you do not want to use the vnd (I think in a photo/video use) ) ? Thanks !

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1434115-REG/canon_3444c001_drop_in_clear_filter_a.html

Seriously just a cover will do, dont need clear filter in the rear.. wonder if 3rd party gonna make one?

• Super Members
46 minutes ago, ntblowz said:

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1434115-REG/canon_3444c001_drop_in_clear_filter_a.html

Seriously just a cover will do, dont need clear filter in the rear.. wonder if 3rd party gonna make one?

I understand it disables the AF if you don't have either filter in.

I'm guessing its microswitches inside the host adapter that are pressed when you slide them in so the camera knows you have inserted one or the other.

So if its just physical then someone could make an empty 3D printable version of the holder to trick it.

6 minutes ago, BTM_Pix said:

I understand it disables the AF if you don't have either filter in.

I'm guessing its microswitches inside the host adapter that are pressed when you slide them in so the camera knows you have inserted one or the other.

So if its just physical then someone could make an empty 3D printable version of the holder to trick it.

it doesn't disable AF when there is no filter in, i use it a few times with open hole when it is too dark.. but later found dust on the senor ugh.  current budget solution is have tape with me to seal it lol.

• Super Members
2 minutes ago, ntblowz said:

it doesn't disable AF when there is no filter in, i use it a few times with open hole when it is too dark.. but later found dust on the senor ugh.  current budget solution is have tape with me to seal it lol.

Thats good to know.

The AF bit, not the dust bit.

Not sure why BH don't address that on the "most helpful" bad review of it on their site !

1605600098_ScreenShot2020-07-12at23_12_12.png.ffc3f0e313329cf2951d93fa234754d9.png

1 hour ago, BTM_Pix said:

Thats good to know.

The AF bit, not the dust bit.

Not sure why BH don't address that on the "most helpful" bad review of it on their site !

1605600098_ScreenShot2020-07-12at23_12_12.png.ffc3f0e313329cf2951d93fa234754d9.png

Yeah that review is completely false! I just tested again with no filter on the adapter and AF is working fine.

• Super Members
12 minutes ago, ntblowz said:

Yeah that review is completely false! I just tested again with no filter on the adapter and AF is working fine.

Should be easy for someone to make a non tape based solution then to plug the hole.

Although....

Maybe someone enterprising could incorporate an exhaust fan into that slot for the R5 users 😉

16 hours ago, ntblowz said:

Good to know - no changes in either photo or video modes? I've held off getting the ND adapter because of the cost of the clear glass filter. So I just went with the standard EF-RF adapter, FYI got it cheap off the Canon refurb site in case anyone wants one. I'm fine with throwing some gaff tape on there, but I'm not shelling out that kind of cash for a needless piece of glass. Keeping an eye out for a used one...

Chris