Canon EOS R5 has serious overheating issues – in both 4K and 8K

Andrew Reid

14 hours ago, mechanicalEYE said:

Obviously he knows what he's talking about however the S1H with its fan is bigger than the R series cameras.

image.png.2b54d642e39f70aa1d99726e318239c9.png

The R5 is bigger than the R already so I'm not sure they could have maintained a size similar to the R with the addition of ibis and a fan.  Guess you'd have to bite off the direction of Sigma's fp. Kudos to Sigma for that.

Is it even fair to compare something thats 6k v 8k 4k60 v 4k120?

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
57 minutes ago, hmcindie said:

Jesus wtf is going on here. Dudes looking at macroblocking in youtube videos and another dude was looking at a graded youtube clip complaining about dr.

Like what? None of those things make sense, just stop it. Makes me nauseous. If you do those things you need to go back to facebook groups.

yes lets compared the youtube video screen grabs to decide on the quality of a camera haha....

1 hour ago, SteveV4D said:

To be fair, after months of no new releases, or news, we have had Canon, Sony, Nikon and Blackmagic all announce something.  If there's a little frenzy on the internet, then its understandable.  We've never had in such a short space of time, so much exciting news for forums to bitch over. 😁

True, the last couple weeks feel like the old Photokina and NAB announcements all rolled together. Being stuck inside more certainly doesn't help either.

Either way, I'm finally getting a camera that does FF 4k up to 60p while having IBIS and great AF, I'll finally be able to consolidate to just one mount. Everything else is icing on the cake for me. The only question is E-mount or RF-mount. I already have the R5 on order, I may get the a7s3 as well and just keep the one I like best and sell off the other. I can live with the small hit to spend a month or two testing and seeing which one is better for my workflow.

Cheers

Chris

44 minutes ago, Trek of Joy said:

True, the last couple weeks feel like the old Photokina and NAB announcements all rolled together. Being stuck inside more certainly doesn't help either.

Either way, I'm finally getting a camera that does FF 4k up to 60p while having IBIS and great AF, I'll finally be able to consolidate to just one mount. Everything else is icing on the cake for me. The only question is E-mount or RF-mount. I already have the R5 on order, I may get the a7s3 as well and just keep the one I like best and sell off the other. I can live with the small hit to spend a month or two testing and seeing which one is better for my workflow.

Cheers

Chris

I plan on doing the same with the R5 , and would consider the sony if 4k120 was an option which it doesn't seem to be. 

22 minutes ago, agarabaghi said:

I plan on doing the same with the R5 , and would consider the sony if 4k120 was an option which it doesn't seem to be. 

Sony A7SIII definitely has 4K120 but it doesn't seem to be available in RAW nor in 10bit 422

4 hours ago, thebrothersthre3 said:

You 

I don't know if you understand how bad youtube compression kills things, even at 4k. 

So I got some flak for posting a YouTube screengrab - but now I can definitely confirm that the R5's video quality is atrocious in normal 4K mode. Gordon Laing/Cameralabs has uploaded straight-of-the-cam videos from the R5 in various quality settings which you can directly download (with a Vimeo account).

Here's a  full screengrab of the non-HQ/non-oversampled 4K intraframe mode:

mpv-shot0009.thumb.jpg.c5b7be845eff26d22068cec359572d79.jpg

...and here's a 1:1 crop of the region that's in focus:

image.png.acc40441339269ae7db4f12d8c84c614.png

This doesn't even look usable when you downsample it to 2K.

image.png.0d5c3712e23f268daadf09182ecefc80.png

Original review & video links here:

https://www.cameralabs.com/canon-eos-r5-review/

1 hour ago, rawshooter said:

So I got some flak for posting a YouTube screengrab - but now I can definitely confirm that the R5's video quality is atrocious in normal 4K mode. Gordon Laing/Cameralabs has uploaded straight-of-the-cam videos from the R5 in various quality settings which you can directly download (with a Vimeo account).

Alright you win. Pretty standard for Canon. Is the 1.8 cropped 4k on the EOS R better ?

1 hour ago, rawshooter said:

Here's a  full screengrab of the non-HQ/non-oversampled 4K intraframe mode:

mpv-shot0009.thumb.jpg.c5b7be845eff26d22068cec359572d79.jpg

...and here's a 1:1 crop of the region that's in focus:

image.png.acc40441339269ae7db4f12d8c84c614.png

This doesn't even look usable when you downsample it to 2K.

image.png.0d5c3712e23f268daadf09182ecefc80.png

You're right. The video is pretty mushy. And the sharpening doesn't seem to help. 

• Administrators
1 hour ago, androidlad said:

The 2x2 pixel-binning in 4K normal and hfr mode has a softening effect, but it can be sharpened to be almost identical to 4K HQ (Oversampled from 8K).

XvGkWaE.jpg

Bullshit

It looks like moire 1080p upscaled from 2009.

2 hours ago, androidlad said:

The 2x2 pixel-binning in 4K normal and hfr mode has a softening effect, but it can be sharpened to be almost identical to 4K HQ (Oversampled from 8K).

XvGkWaE.jpg

Even looking on my phone, the 4K HQ looks a lot more detailed than the other examples.  It would feel self defeating to spend all that money on a camera touting 8K only to use mushy 4K on it.

This and the Cinema 5D review of the R6 have not given much promise for either camera for me.  I look forward to seeing final results when the camera is released and hope its better then.

• Administrators

Screenshot-2020-07-25-at-00.06.15.jpg

It looks much worse than the old 2014 Sony A7R II to me

The aliasing and softness at 100% crop above is worst-case scenario stuff.

How that footage can wear a 4K badge I will never know.