Canon EOS R5 has serious overheating issues – in both 4K and 8K

Andrew Reid

Matti tested in normal conditions, and after putting the camera IN THE REFRIGERATOR!

I don't understand why we can't just get a realistic test. Go test "regular" 4K outside in the hot weather WITHOUT putting it in the fridge first, please. 

Like seriously, on what planet do you have to live on to put a camera into the fridge and then tell people "most people probably won't experience overheating." It's insane. Like, that's not reassuring... At all! 

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
4 hours ago, Yurolov said:

smh, why dont people test the binned mode versus the HQ mode. Overheating won't matter if the binned mode is good quality. The only issue will be in 60p and 120p, and I doubt people are shooting 30 minutes of 120p footage, and don't get me started on the degenerates that shoot long-form 60p like toneh. 

Most of these youtubers are too dumb though.

edit: spelling.

@2:29 Bryan Chen, a casual shooter who's only interested in using the R5 for family videos shows the R5 4k vs 4k HQ.  Normal 4k Looks pretty good.

3 minutes ago, mechanicalEYE said:

@2:29 Bryan Chen, a casual shooter who's only interested in using the R5 for family videos shows the R5 4k vs 4k HQ.  Normal 4k Looks pretty good.

yeah some dad from china does a better review than any of these so called professional reviewers cause he is focusing on how people are actually going to use the camera. It's a 4k 30p pixel binned camera with 10 bit 4:2:2 internal and with limited function in higher frame rates. 

Canon should have advertised it that way and imposed hard limits on the 60p and 120p modes. People would have been less hysterical. 

10 hours ago, mechanicalEYE said:

The R5 is bigger than the R already so I'm not sure they could have maintained a size similar to the R with the addition of ibis and a fan.  Guess you'd have to bite off the direction of Sigma's fp. Kudos to Sigma for that.

I think we should see it the other way. The S1H is bulky compared to the R5, but it'not that big compared to a Panasonic S1. Panasonic went for this big bodies design straight from the beginning with their S line. i think what the Panasonic rep said was that it would'nt have add a lot more bulk compared to what the actual size of the R5 is. 
And yes when you see the tiny Sigma FP, you see that built-in cooling system is very possible.

7 hours ago, Yurolov said:

yeah some dad from china does a better review than any of these so called professional reviewers cause he is focusing on how people are actually going to use the camera. It's a 4k 30p pixel binned camera with 10 bit 4:2:2 internal and with limited function in higher frame rates. 

Canon should have advertised it that way and imposed hard limits on the 60p and 120p modes. People would have been less hysterical. 

IMO most of the hysteria is from unreasonable expectations - many from people that aren't going to buy the camera anyway - like the keyboard warriors that shoot other brands and just bash everything else, aka the SAR crowd. Remember when the a7's were trash because of the shitty colors, rampant overheating, single card slot, poor weather sealing, crappy battery and so on? Its taken Sony 4 generations to get most of it right, and they're still rolling 8-bit video. I just kept shooting with them. Its seems like people thought the R5 was going to be a C500mkII with IBIS and internal raw in a tiny hybrid body. There will have to be limitations without active cooling. Look at the a7s3 as the air that continually gets let out of the balloon when more specs leak. Its a $3500 12mp 4k60p camera with no internal raw and no oversampling. Makes the R6 look better and better IMO.

I'm torn between both as I shoot Sony and Canon - but that 120p internal and the raw internal option - even for just short clips which is all I shoot anyway - still makes me lean toward the R5. I'll wait for the full a7s3 reveal before making a final decision.

Chris

7 minutes ago, Trek of Joy said:

IMO most of the hysteria is from unreasonable expectations 

By that argument, it is unreasonable to suggest the S1H have decent AF, or the Pocket 4K having IBIS, AF, good battery life and a screen visible outdoors in the sun.  

Most cameras have their strengths and weaknesses.  It seems many are happy to sing praise of the R5 for 8K and 120p 4K and Canons amazing AF, yet shut down any criticisms where the camera falls short. 

And yes, I won't be getting the R5 for its overheating issue, just as the lack of decent AF puts me off going with the S1H. 

I think if we limited any particular camera discussion to people who actually purchased or plan to purchase said camera, the forum will be considerably emptier.

8 hours ago, Yurolov said:

If you look at his footage, you see that the textures are completely missing/smoothed out.  Either there was some face smoothing filter active in the camera, or this is the price you pay for non-oversampled 4K with the camera. (YouTube compression can't be blamed for that.)

All faces look waxy, hair textures are either jaggy [=binning artefacts] or blurred out. This looks like video from first-generation video DSLRs, only at 4K instead of HD. You can see those shortcomings  particularly well in his video because he doesn't use an ND filter and fast shutter speeds in their outdoor images, so there's no motion blur.

(1:1 screengrabs from the highest-quality, directly ripped YouTube stream),

mpv-shot0001.jpg

mpv-shot0002.jpg

mpv-shot0003.jpg

mpv-shot0004.jpg

14 minutes ago, SteveV4D said:

By that argument, it is unreasonable to suggest the S1H have decent AF, or the Pocket 4K having IBIS, AF, good battery life and a screen visible outdoors in the sun.  

Most cameras have their strengths and weaknesses.  It seems many are happy to sing praise of the R5 for 8K and 120p 4K and Canons amazing AF, yet shut down any criticisms where the camera falls short. 

And yes, I won't be getting the R5 for its overheating issue, just as the lack of decent AF puts me off going with the S1H. 

I think if we limited any particular camera discussion to people who actually purchased or plan to purchase said camera, the forum will be considerably emptier.

Let me clarify, I'm not advocating silencing anyone or every discussion being all rainbows and puppy dogs, its just that a lot of people in groups and forums spend time endlessly bashing everything just for the sake of trashing what they don't shoot. This creates all the internet echo chamber bullshit, I've seen every camera on the market called unreliable and unusable for various reasons. I try to stay away from that kind of hyperbole because its nonsense, but even I get sucked up into it at times. Every camera has shortcomings that should be discussed so people can make informed decisions. From reading some comments, people seem to have their personal identity tied to whatever brand they shoot and take competition as some sort of personal insult, its silly at times.

Cheers

Chris

23 minutes ago, SteveV4D said:

Plus if we had any work to be getting on with... 🤪

Too much time for too much speculating on speculations and spec!

I'm just as guilty as the next fella and have a list for 2021!

Fuji currently tops it, Nikon is a close second and Canon hanging in there in third...but all the specs & speculating aside, I'm not pushing any buttons or making any decisions until Spring 2021 and these things actually exist, - XH2, Z6s, R5/6.

13 minutes ago, rawshooter said:

If you look at his footage, you see that the textures are completely missing/smoothed out.  Either there was some face smoothing filter active in the camera, or this is the price you pay for non-oversampled 4K with the camera. (YouTube compression can't be blamed for that.)

All faces look waxy, hair textures are either jaggy [=binning artefacts] or blurred out. This looks like video from first-generation video DSLRs, only at 4K instead of HD. You can see those shortcomings  particularly well in his video because he doesn't use an ND filter and fast shutter speeds in their outdoor images, so there's no motion blur.

mpv-shot0001.jpg

mpv-shot0002.jpg

mpv-shot0003.jpg

mpv-shot0004.jpg

Why can't you blame YouTube compression? I've seen this exact effect in other clips from other cameras and it was the compression used. Non oversampling may cause moire etc, but I've also seen footage that's incredibly detailed so i really don't think this is to blame.

8 hours ago, Yurolov said:

I thought it was skipping pixels/lines, not binning in the 4k30 low-quality mode?

1 minute ago, MrSMW said:

Plus if we had any work to be getting on with... 🤪

Too much time for too much speculating on speculations and spec!

Thats me.  Stuck at home, no work.  I use to bump into fellow Professionals whilst working and chat about gear, but not this year.  Forums have become an escape.

Its probably making the forum crazier than normal.  However it won't be forever and once life returns to normal, we'll look back and laugh at some of these discussions.

9 minutes ago, Trek of Joy said:

Let me clarify, I'm not advocating silencing anyone or every discussion being all rainbows and puppy dogs, its just that a lot of people in groups and forums spend time endlessly bashing everything just for the sake of trashing what they don't shoot. This creates all the internet echo chamber bullshit

To be fair, after months of no new releases, or news, we have had Canon, Sony, Nikon and Blackmagic all announce something.  If there's a little frenzy on the internet, then its understandable.  We've never had in such a short space of time, so much exciting news for forums to bitch over. 😁

You 

28 minutes ago, rawshooter said:

I don't know if you understand how bad youtube compression kills things, even at 4k. 

7 minutes ago, thebrothersthre3 said:

I don't know if you understand how bad youtube compression kills things, even at 4k. 

I do. But you can't blame YouTube for that. For comparison, here's a screengrab from the YouTube webm stream, with identical bandwidth/codec to the Canon R5 home video, from a video shot with the Sigma fp - and that even has lots of motion blur:

mpv-shot0001.jpg

10 minutes ago, rawshooter said:

I do. But you can't blame YouTube for that. For comparison, here's a screengrab from the YouTube webm stream, with identical bandwidth/codec to the Canon R5 home video, from a video shot with the Sigma fp - and that even has lots of motion blur:

mpv-shot0001.jpg

Well we need some side by side videos shot at the same time with the current new cameras so we can compare more efficiently, you really cant compare cameras between different videos.

Jesus wtf is going on here. Dudes looking at macroblocking in youtube videos and another dude was looking at a graded youtube clip complaining about dr.

Like what? None of those things make sense, just stop it. Makes me nauseous. If you do those things you need to go back to facebook groups.

Yeah I am not sure about these specific examples but I've uploaded youtube videos in 4k and lost skin texture. It was present in the original video but YouTube destroyed it. I've seen stuff from Blackmagic that looks terrible on youtube that I am sure looked great prior.