Canon EOS R5 has serious overheating issues – in both 4K and 8K

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
5 hours ago, sanveer said:

Hahaha. You can't turn turn hope into dreams. The camera heats in many modes, not just the absolutely best quality and bitrate ones. I wouldn'be surprised if it heats at 1080p too. After the first 30 minutes. 

Just watched a YT vid. Even after two hours of cooling down (with battery out, screen flipped out and lens off), recording times were significantly reduced. That's crazy.

2 hours ago, mechanicalEYE said:

@10:28 Overheating test results on production unit.  Says "normal 4k" no overheating.

Don't know why certain bitrates and gramerates are overheating more than others. Btw, in the last video I thought he said it overheated in 8k at 9mins. 

22 minutes ago, TheBoogieKnight said:

Just watched a YT vid. Even after two hours of cooling down (with battery out, screen flipped out and lens off), recording times were significantly reduced. That's crazy.

And many of these videos are shot in very cool temperatures. At 35°C and over I am guessing the camera is going to stop shooting very quickly and take very long to be ready to shoot again.  

12 minutes ago, zerocool22 said:

Wondering if they will cut the price a bit soon due to tje bad press. Allthough the clog3 and more compression options are very welcome and at this point needed before I buy one.

It will sell a lot and 90% will be go to photographers.... it will be hard to get one.... 20fps , ibis, 45 mpix , great af, almost same DR as Sony and mirrorless is basically an almost perfect photocamera ...  even if video will stop after 10 sec. 

80% or more of the sales will not even know what clog3 is....

34 minutes ago, gt3rs said:

It will sell a lot and 90% will be go to photographers.... it will be hard to get one.... 20fps , ibis, 45 mpix , great af, almost same DR as Sony and mirrorless is basically an almost perfect photocamera ...  even if video will stop after 10 sec. 

I agree the R5 is great tool for Photographers and a crippled one for video users..  Thankfully there are other options out there.  Though not with 120fps 4K and 8K RAW.  Though I'm sure that will change.  

• Administrators
39 minutes ago, gt3rs said:

You are just making wild assumptions. You don't know what the actual percentages are at all.

In all the marketing video is top billing.

Has to tell you something.

The accumulated heat, even after a 2 hour(!) cool down with lens off and battery out, is crazy.

I have a feeling a lot of people that pre-ordered with their hands over their ears wishing for the best are going to be disappointed. Unless of course all you do is stills. 

38 minutes ago, ntblowz said:

Interesting to see X-T4 last even shorter on the same sun than R5 do, but in the shade it can record few min longer.

No one can touch Panasonic on those torture test!

Yeah I was shocked when a friend of mine with an X-T4 told me he was seeing overheating warnings within 10 minutes. 

Look at around 35mn they talk about the fans in the S1H and the fact that it won't overheat at all. And specifically at 38:10 they talk about Canon's assumption (without sayin' the name of course) that adding a fan make cameras more bulky. Funny.

smh, why dont people test the binned mode versus the HQ mode. Overheating won't matter if the binned mode is good quality. The only issue will be in 60p and 120p, and I doubt people are shooting 30 minutes of 120p footage, and don't get me started on the degenerates that shoot long-form 60p like toneh. 

Most of these youtubers are too dumb though.

edit: spelling.

Just now, Yurolov said:

amh, why dont people test the binned mode versus the HQ mode. Overheating won't matter if the binned mode is good quality. The only issue will be in 60p and 120p, and I doubt people are shooting 30 minutes of 120p footage, and don't get me started on the degenerates that shoot long-form 60p like toneh. 

Most of these youtubers are too dumb though.

Im gonna read and watch video and then actually try it myself and see if it works for me, before jumping to conclusions.

35 minutes ago, Yurolov said:

smh, why dont people test the binned mode versus the HQ mode.

Maybe because they aren’t allowed to show comparisons of these modes because Canon is going hard to control the narrative while preorders are being made. 

37 minutes ago, Trankilstef said:

that adding a fan make cameras more bulky.

To be fair the S1H is pretty big but not much more than the R5. Maybe they are practically the same size. 

42 minutes ago, Trankilstef said:

Look at around 35mn they talk about the fans in the S1H and the fact that it won't overheat at all. And specifically at 38:10 they talk about Canon's assumption (without sayin' the name of course) that adding a fan make cameras more bulky. Funny.

Obviously he knows what he's talking about however the S1H with its fan is bigger than the R series cameras.

image.png.2b54d642e39f70aa1d99726e318239c9.png

The R5 is bigger than the R already so I'm not sure they could have maintained a size similar to the R with the addition of ibis and a fan.  Guess you'd have to bite off the direction of Sigma's fp. Kudos to Sigma for that.

1 hour ago, Trankilstef said:

And at 1:21 he hints about the M43 and GH roadmap. That they will speak about it at the appropriate time and that they have a roadmap for M43.