Canon EOS R5 has serious overheating issues – in both 4K and 8K

Andrew Reid

Despite the overheating, I think this camera will be a great tool for many, many people. 

I timed my takes and breaks with the EVA1 and GH5 on a boxing product shoot yesterday, shooting 4k50p all day and some 2k100fps. 

Up to 1 min per shot at 50p with 3-4 min gaps in between (much longer when a change of scene), and 2k100fps for about 15-20 secs with bigger gaps. 

DPAF II would have come in very handy for the tricky gimbal shots. GH5 was tricky in manual focus (no focus puller). 

With the A7SIII creeping up though....

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
On 7/17/2020 at 5:53 AM, Paul Cryer said:

If they do add CLOG3 and ALL-I via firmware to the R6 it makes it something to look at. My main filming is weddings, so to know (UK wise) 4K 25 doesn't overheat will be the key and get 4K 50 for select shots. It'll be a hard choice between the R6 and Sony a7siii!

probably Sony a7siii will be the wiser choice for you, since R6 most probably will have a higher RS and you can only record to one card, which is going to be very dangerous for weddings.

On 7/19/2020 at 12:28 AM, hijodeibn said:

probably Sony a7siii will be the wiser choice for you, since R6 most probably will have a higher RS and you can only record to one card, which is going to be very dangerous for weddings.

Yep, the one card recording is on the negative list and in bold! Can't believe it can't do it in this day and age.

1 hour ago, Django said:

lol.. I thought that was a photoshop but it’s real! LMAO

https://www.smallrig.com/blog/no-more-concerns-about-the-overheating-of-canon-r5/

It still is a photoshop, but it will become real 😋

Just wonder how you can cool it effectively with a plastic shell in between.
Canon just should have made a accessory you could directly attach to the internal heat-sink.

5 hours ago, Django said:

lol.. I thought that was a photoshop but it’s real! LMAO

https://www.smallrig.com/blog/no-more-concerns-about-the-overheating-of-canon-r5/

incredible, the camera has not been released and there is already an accessory needed to make it work.

certainly is going to be a very expensive accessory, probably with a powered cooler, I guess the DIY solutions will be all over the internet in the next few weeks.

I applaud canon for actually coming out with the times and temps and not letting people find out for their own.

Also COULD it possibly be that this camera MIGHT NOT be for you, if you require 20-30+ min continuous recording, mabe you should look at a different option?

I am curious how it will work for shorter burst filming. 

A lot of people are unable to understand the implications of the overheating. The poor heat management means that each consecutive shot will be for a shorter duration and cooling time necessary, will be longer, after every shot.

By your 10th shot you may get like 3 mins of recording time with a cooling period of 20 mins. Both figures are random estimations. Maybe at temperatures above 30°C, it may be worse than this. 

5 minutes ago, sanveer said:

A lot of people are unable to understand the implications of the overheating. The poor heat management means that each consecutive shot will be for a shorter duration and cooling time necessary, will be longer, after every shot.

By your 10th shot you may get like 3 mins of recording time with a cooling period of 20 mins. Both figures are random estimations. Maybe at temperatures above 30°C, it may be worse than this. 

yea seems like until more reviews and on hand experience its all assumption. Dont forget when you stop recording, things cool off, it has a special mode to help with that (changes settings etc to reduce heat) also depending how long start up takes there is also the suggestion to turn off the camera between shots. Also, it might not be a camera for you if you require long continuous shots. It was never designed for that with the 29:59 cut off no matter what. 

Hahaha. You can't turn turn hope into dreams. The camera heats in many modes, not just the absolutely best quality and bitrate ones. I wouldn'be surprised if it heats at 1080p too. After the first 30 minutes. 

I’ve seen one of the cooling solution prototypes Smallrig is designing for R5, it’s not only a cage like in the picture.

They had a 60mm Noctua fan mounted side by side at the bottom of the camera, with a battery plate at the side that can also power the camera.

35 minutes ago, sanveer said:

The poor heat management means that each consecutive shot will be for a shorter duration and cooling time necessary, will be longer, after every shot.

Please read it again. And don't assume you'll get 29, 28, 27 or even 26 mins.

You'll only get 1 minute. Hopefully that's all you need. 😂

i will wait till i have used it. If i shoot for 5mins, and then pause and wait... the device begins to cool down. It will vary by person, unless someone here has it, everyone is guessing. No point in guessing, just wait till you can try it in you own environment. 

2 hours ago, sanveer said:

Please read it again. And don't assume you'll get 29, 28, 27 or even 26 mins.

You'll only get 1 minute. Hopefully that's all you need. 😂

looks bad man, looks bad, but hopefully we will get a third party solution, and some DIY in youtube that could work at the end.

3 hours ago, androidlad said:

I’ve seen one of the cooling solution prototypes Smallrig is designing for R5, it’s not only a cage like in the picture.

They had a 60mm Noctua fan mounted side by side at the bottom of the camera, with a battery plate at the side that can also power the camera.

This is just....ridiculous. Come one. $4000, sexy, weather sealed camera and you are going to mod it like its a gaming PC. WTF.