Canon EOS R5 has serious overheating issues – in both 4K and 8K

Andrew Reid

I’m sold on the image if not its usability and its costs / sacrifices. If I could afford the body right now, plus a new computer, and the storage, and the extra time in post, I’d buy it and still use it like my R + speedbooster for 99% of what I do (24p) but also get to enjoy bursts in its quirky but good-looking steroid modes.

To me it would be like a really amazing, really expensive Magic Lantern hack (to others - who use 120p and/or RAW frequently - it will be even more valuable). Talking of which, I think those boys are making progress with the M50...

I think the R5 could be a grower. If in 6-12 months c-log 3 turns out to be real then it could tip the balance for me. By then there will be plenty of real world experience with it too, grey market pricing could be very attractive, and who knows I may even have a new computer...

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
39 minutes ago, Django said:

Maybe in the short term but in the long run 8K will become the norm, so I think it will be quite the opposite in years to come with regards to R5’s 8K capabilities.

When Canon introduced 4K with the the 1DC in 2012 people also called it overkill and look at us now.

I personally look forward to test out this new tech resolution and take satisfaction in knowing my investment will be future proof for the upcoming decade.

The 4K HQ mode that supersamples from 8K is what I’m most curious about and will surely be the sweet spot for stellar 4K IQ on this camera.

I'm sure 8K will become more normal, but given that 4K is nowhere near has accepted as say HD was on 2012, I feel we are still struggling to get 4K registered as a delivery resolution.  This is 8 years later. If 8K does come, I feel it will be another decade before we see where 4K is even now.  

As for future proof, any resolution is only at its best for delivery when we can film it in 50 or 60p for slow motion.  I really could only deliver 4K in my work when the GH5 came out in 2017.

8K is just as useful for 4K delivery as 4K has been for FHD delivery. From R5's website:

"Of course, recording in 8K doesn’t mean you have to output in 8K. One of the big practical advantages of shooting in 8K right now is that you can oversample the 8K down to 4K in order to produce an image with more detail and better dynamic range than a native 4K one. Alternatively, you can choose to crop a 4K frame from the full 8K image in order to have more creative freedom in post-production.

"Say you were filming an interview where the final output is going to be 4K," suggests Clive. "If you're smart with your light and with your shooting angle, you could start with a wide 8K shot and then just grab a 4K section of the frame for a close-up headshot later. So one camera angle and one take will give you two cuts. For someone who's working alone with a single camera, that's a massive bonus."

49 minutes ago, Django said:

8K is just as useful for 4K delivery as 4K has been for FHD delivery. From R5's website:

"Of course, recording in 8K doesn’t mean you have to output in 8K. One of the big practical advantages of shooting in 8K right now is that you can oversample the 8K down to 4K in order to produce an image with more detail and better dynamic range than a native 4K one. Alternatively, you can choose to crop a 4K frame from the full 8K image in order to have more creative freedom in post-production.

"Say you were filming an interview where the final output is going to be 4K," suggests Clive. "If you're smart with your light and with your shooting angle, you could start with a wide 8K shot and then just grab a 4K section of the frame for a close-up headshot later. So one camera angle and one take will give you two cuts. For someone who's working alone with a single camera, that's a massive bonus."

That's what I was thinking too, use it the same way we've used 4k > HD to reframe or oversample. I shoot lots of sunrises and sunsets, a 10 second raw 8k clip smashed down to an even better 4k shot sounds good to me. And you don't have to shoot raw, the 10-bit option shrinks the file sizes a bit. That combined with 120p and the oversampled 24p make this quite the Swiss army knife. So does 45mp stills at 12fps. 

Chris

1 hour ago, Django said:

Why are you talking about 8K.  Thats so dated now.  We're on 12K now for good quality 8K delivery.. 🤣🤣🤣🤣

Seriously though, I can get 6K, with crop and downsampling advantages, with better file sizes, 50p recording and most importantly, no time limits on the Pocket 6K.  When an 8K camera gives me that, we can discuss the advantages of 8K. Until then, its like the 12K Blackmagic camera, a future I can one day enjoy.

1 hour ago, Django said:

I wouldn't shoot an interview with a R5.  Plus most who book me for that, want HD, so 8K is overkill for cropping.  Lastly, I can film on my own with 3 to 5 cameras.  Cropping isn't a substitute for another camera at a slightly different angle and with a different lens.  Cropping always looks like cropping; it can't reproduce the subtle changes you get either zooming in or using a different prime lens.  

I get 8K can be used that way, but its more a solution for problems people are finding to justify its use.  

I keep getting more and impressed by the actual image this camera is producing. I was kind of preparing to be "meh'd" by the footage, but the video quality looks fantastic in the few videos I have seen. The color science seems great and it seems to have a slight sharpness reduction which to me is fantastic - I hate overly sharp digital footage - i'm guessing this is due to the aa filter, similar to the S1H. It just slightly takes the edge off. I have said it before and I will say it again, it looks very similar to my C200 footage.

@SteveV4D 8K > 6K though.

Seriously, it seems clear you have zero interest in the Rx series.. yet you keep talking up the P6K. An S35 cam with no AF, no IBIS, no stills functionality, poor battery life etc. I'm not shitting on the P6K but it is just not in the same category as the Canon R5 hybrid. No camera is really at the moment (although that may change come July 28th).

A little bit of IBIS and RS in 4k mode. IBIS with lens IS looks really good. RS doesn't look like its at a6300 levels, though he only wiggled the camera for a second before the video ends. I wish he just would have pointed it at any vertical in that shop and did a few whip pans.

And I'm not saying reframing a 8k shot for an interview is convenient or super useful, its a use case. For me - its more high DR landscape shots - that's mostly what I plan to use 8k raw for, 10-bit 4k is fine for the rest of what I do. Glad I picked up a Ninja V with the EOS R, that should help with overheating a bit in 24 and 60p. As always YMMV.

Chris

20 minutes ago, Django said:

@SteveV4D 8K > 6K though.

Seriously, it seems clear you have zero interest in the Rx series.. yet you keep talking up the P6K. An S35 cam with no AF, no IBIS, no stills functionality, poor battery life etc. I'm not shitting on the P6K but it is just not in the same category as the Canon R5 hybrid. No camera is really at the moment (although that may change come July 28th).

I wouldn't say zero interest.  In fact, the R6 is on my radar.  I was also on the fence about the Pocket 6K and what put me off was the question if I really needed 6K and its larger file sizes.  What does it bring to my workflow?  

I'm well aware that the Pocket cameras are in a different category to the hybrid R series.  So what...  They're all tools that I can potentially use, and I prefer a selection which I can use for different needs and purposes to an all in one solution.  Every one has its pros and cons to be considered objectively.

I just amused by all this talk of 8K, as if its the greatest thing for the moment.  How did we manage so long without it I wonder.  When I have people trying to tell me how useful 8K is for my 4K videos when 90% of them are only watched in HD on YouTube, probably on a smartphone, it does all feel a bit silly.  

I'm sure 8K is something for the future.  But until then, this race for resolution camera makers are on, feels at the expense of making tools I could actually benefit from.  

14 hours ago, Trek of Joy said:

A little bit of IBIS and RS in 4k mode. IBIS with lens IS looks really good. RS doesn't look like its at a6300 levels, though he only wiggled the camera for a second before the video ends. I wish he just would have pointed it at any vertical in that shop and did a few whip pans.

And I'm not saying reframing a 8k shot for an interview is convenient or super useful, its a use case. For me - its more high DR landscape shots - that's mostly what I plan to use 8k raw for, 10-bit 4k is fine for the rest of what I do. Glad I picked up a Ninja V with the EOS R, that should help with overheating a bit in 24 and 60p. As always YMMV.

Chris

Kind of useless this video as he is shaking more with the camera/phone filming the camera lcd 🙂  so for ibis is really hard to judge. For the RS is not clear if he is in HQ mode or not but I would say it similar to 1Dx III ..... as expected. Would be cool to see a more useful test with hq on and off......

First decent review of a production R6. Looks like it's doing a lot of things right. The only question is overheating in hotter environments which they couldn't test.

With CLOG3 coming it only gets more compelling. This is the Camera for Sony to beat, Nikon's updates later this year might be too late, people will have either gone for the R5/6 or the new Sony by then.

If they do add CLOG3 and ALL-I via firmware to the R6 it makes it something to look at. My main filming is weddings, so to know (UK wise) 4K 25 doesn't overheat will be the key and get 4K 50 for select shots. It'll be a hard choice between the R6 and Sony a7siii!

8 minutes ago, Paul Cryer said:

If they do add CLOG3 and ALL-I via firmware to the R6 it makes it something to look at. My main filming is weddings, so to know (UK wise) 4K 25 doesn't overheat will be the key and get 4K 50 for select shots. It'll be a hard choice between the R6 and Sony a7siii!

If they add that and overheating and RS isnt a huge issue, I will be looking at the R6.  It'll be an excellent gimbal and run n gun camera.  Thanks to Covid, I don't need it till next year anyway, so I've got plenty of time to assess from early users before deciding. 😀😀

13 minutes ago, SteveV4D said:

If they add that and overheating and RS isnt a huge issue, I will be looking at the R6.  It'll be an excellent gimbal and run n gun camera.  Thanks to Covid, I don't need it till next year anyway, so I've got plenty of time to assess from early users before deciding. 😀😀

Same! It'll be early next year, so plenty of time to see real life material from both Canon and Sony.