Canon EOS R5 has serious overheating issues – in both 4K and 8K

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
  • Super Members
36 minutes ago, Andrew Reid said:

Besides as @BTM_Pix pointed out the other day, it is about £1000 cheaper in Japan so may as well go there on holiday for one than pre-order in the UK.

Its not far off £1300 cheaper in some places.

And thats just for a brand new one.

By the time travel opens up again you'll be able to go and get a used one that has only minor internal smoke damage for a lot less.

Revealed: rolling shutter/IBIS issue

He claims/thinks the warp is a result of being at 15mm with IBIS, but it’s not. It happens when he zooms in too

I think this is the IBIS wrestling with the rolling shutter. Very similar to the warp on 1DXIII and EOSR when their DIS fights the RS. I’ve been struggling with similar issue on R for months

2 minute mark onwards:

5 minutes ago, PaulUsher said:

He claims/thinks the warp is a result of being at 15mm with IBIS, but it’s not.

This is the IBIS wrestling with the rolling shutter. Very similar to the warp on 1DXIII and EOSR when their DIS fights the RS. I’ve been struggling with similar issue on R for months

2 minute mark onwards:

15mm is pretty damn wide. Very hard to eliminate wobble without doing a digital crop EIS. 

5 minutes ago, Video Hummus said:

15mm is pretty damn wide. Very hard to eliminate wobble without doing a digital crop EIS. 

It also happens when he zooms in. I’ve moved on from these cameras as a purchasing decision, so it doesn’t bother me either way, but trying to help you guys out. In my experience it’s very similar warp that we’ve been getting on the R in rolling shutter modes once the stabiliser tries to correct - but definitely more controlled on the R5

Will be interesting to see if he sticks with using the R5 for vlogging. Sounds like the overheating issue will pop up every time he vlogs with it. The DR in video hasn’t caught up with Sony either.

Still a huge void left for someone like Panasonic to take advantage of with either a GH or S camera. They just need good AF, and that’s all they need really.

Its pretty clear messaging from Canon. They view these as kinda hybrid cameras but mostly photo cameras. If you want Canon for video is currently C200/300/500.

Honestly the R is still the better YouTuber vlog camera. R6 falls short with all the gotchas.

I wouldn’t be surprised to see a video from any of the Canon YouTube personalities that they are sticking with the R. 

13 hours ago, PaulUsher said:

He claims/thinks the warp is a result of being at 15mm with IBIS, but it’s not. It happens when he zooms in too

I think this is the IBIS wrestling with the rolling shutter. Very similar to the warp on 1DXIII and EOSR when their DIS fights the RS. I’ve been struggling with similar issue on R for months

2 minute mark onwards:

i though they had this lens and ibis work together thingy?

3 hours ago, Neumann Films said:

Huh, Vlogging is still a thing, eh? I figured it would have run its course by now. Maybe 8K RAW doesn’t make sense for 10+ minutes of mindless fluff. Just a hunch.

Absolutely baffling that people are having a tantrum about no continuous 8k RAW. 

I’ve seen that so far you’ve been a speculative advocate of this camera Luke. I’ve put in my pre-order but I am concerned. 

I’m wondering whether it will breeze through, or have tantrums if doing around 15-20 continuous small bursts in 4k60fps over an hour and more. I know we don’t know for sure, but looking at the stats it’s a head scratcher. 

How do you speculate to use the camera on your jobs Luke? 

35 minutes ago, Oliver Daniel said:

Absolutely baffling that people are having a tantrum about no continuous 8k RAW.

I have no interest in 8K, RAW or otherwise.  Canon in my opinion should have followed Panasonic and stuck to 6K and allowed for longer recordings of its 4K.  I know there are a few people who need 8K, but very few.  Anyone else, I must wonder what your reason for shooting 8K.  Do you own an 8K TV.  Are you planning to buy one?  Will your PC handle 8K editing?  At least in 2014, when I got the GH4, I was buying a 55" 4K TV for £700 by Christmas.  

What I needed was fullframe 4K upto 60p, that didn't overheat.  Basically an S1H, but with great AF.  Canon decided otherwise.  So I am disappointed.  Others, who don't mind the restrictions will feel differently of course.

The saying is “if you have lemons, make lemonade” 😜

But that would be about the sum of it for me also in that I was expecting a proper AF alternative to the S1H but it seems the R5 is really a more photo orientated camera with some video capability rather than the other way round.

Please can one of them just get it right soon?!

Great IBIS, 4k 60p 10 bit internal, great autofocus, twin card slots that allow back up and at least decent heat management issues, in which case shut up and take my money.

I think Fuji or Nikon are going to get there first as both are literally one step away and Nikon is probably going to tick all those boxes with a Z6s very shortly...

As a wedding videographer, I usually rent my equipment. I plan to rent an R5 (when available), test it against my BMPCC 6K. Am planning to do a DIY heatsink for the R5 attaching a fanned fin via tripod mount and see if it does something helpful...

7 hours ago, Neumann Films said:

Huh, Vlogging is still a thing, eh? I figured it would have run its course by now. Maybe 8K RAW doesn’t make sense for 10+ minutes of mindless fluff. Just a hunch.

Whether we like it or not integrative UGC practices are here to stay. We started out in a different era but will anyone start out today without an online platform? 

Transmedia practice, too, will only become more prevalent as storytellers authenticate themselves and their proof of concept online, building audiences and income streams there, whilst promoting and interleaving their projects and stories from digital platforms to traditional media. 

Agreed there’s a lot of fluff out there right now, but not all of it is without value, and we will certainly see more innovate and quality work on YouTube/online in the coming years. It’s not just about the tech catching up to that, but about developing tech now that shapes these possibilities going forward.

13 minutes ago, PaulUsher said:

we will certainly see more innovate and quality work on YouTube/online in the coming years.

Oh, I agree, but I don’t think it will be in this format. This style is on its final legs IMO. Wide angle handheld, talking to the camera, padding run time to get to 10+ minutes. Audiences are slowly catching on to the runtime pads and are being turned off by it. Enough people leave and creators will go back to more condensed content or evolve to actually make meaningful 10+ minute videos.

19 hours ago, PaulUsher said:

2 minute mark onwards:

Doesn't look like roling shutter to me. Just looks like IBIS warping. Rolling shutter would be very obvious in the close-up shots when he's riding in the buggy. You'd also see it when he's waving his hands around or when he pans at 4:29. 

17 minutes ago, Neumann Films said:

Oh, I agree, but I don’t think it will be in this format. This style is on its final legs IMO. Wide angle handheld, talking to the camera, padding run time to get to 10+ minutes. Audiences are slowly catching on to the runtime pads and are being turned off by it. Enough people leave and creators will go back to more condensed content or evolve to actually make meaningful 10+ minute videos.

Yeah agreed this style needs to evolve. The problem with these guys (not just the tech tubers but the lifestyle YouTubers etc too) is that they too readily become salespeople. Audiences tire of that. That they don’t use their influence / activate their audience to fund and produce their own films is telling. It seems they’d rather be YouTubers than filmmakers...

26 minutes ago, PaulUsher said:

Yeah agreed this style needs to evolve. The problem with these guys (not just the tech tubers but the lifestyle YouTubers etc too) is that they too readily become salespeople. Audiences tire of that. That they don’t use their influence / activate their audience to fund and produce their own films is telling. It seems they’d rather be YouTubers than filmmakers...

I’ve always felt like you should make any money you want to make OFF site. Keep your channel as clean as possible from advertisers or sponsors. It just clouds everything. It’s not just YouTube though. I was asked to help do some stuff on a travel/nature series and had a bunch of stuff written up for how to make it exciting and engaging only to find that 50% of each episode was devoted to sponsors and promoting their businesses. So, instead of “trying to make an engaging show” the job became “creative ways to feature sponsors”. It’s pretty limiting if that is your starting point.

The truth is that YouTube is going all hive mind (like Reddit or any other social media conglomerate) and any uniqueness becomes monetized, packaged and then replicated to the point of parody. How many people have a “What’s up guys!” intro that is copy and pasted from everyone else? How about the same lighting in their studio background? Same thumbnails, same titles, same content. It’s become junk food ready for mass consumption. Icky.

2 minutes ago, Neumann Films said:

I’ve always felt like you should make any money you want to make OFF site. Keep your channel as clean as possible from advertisers or sponsors. It just clouds everything. It’s not just YouTube though. I was asked to help do some stuff on a travel/nature series and had a bunch of stuff written up for how to make it exciting and engaging only to find that 50% of each episode was devoted to sponsors and promoting their businesses. So, instead of “trying to make an engaging show” the job became “creative ways to feature sponsors”. It’s pretty limiting if that is your starting point.

The truth is that YouTube is going all hive mind (like Reddit or any other social media conglomerate) and any uniqueness becomes monetized, packaged and then replicated to the point of parody. How many people have a “What’s up guys!” intro that is copy and pasted from everyone else? How about the same lighting in their studio background? Same thumbnails, same titles, same content. It’s become junk food ready for mass consumption. Icky.

Very true. We're seeing it everywhere, unfortunately. Every Netflix trailer is exactly the same, especially in the doc and doc-series space. Subjects of docs are executive producers of their films and pretty much any celebrity doc has become a long commercial for that particular celebrity. But Youtube especially is just giant advertisements over and over and over again - useful now and again when you are trying to make a purchasing decision, but if people actually view it as real content, pretty damaging.

Not to mention that you're basically watching someone like McKinnon (and soooooo many others) and he gets paid so you can watch HIM buy and receive all sorts of new toys and live an awesome life and go on free trips. There is a reason that more digital time, social media time, phone time, etc is directly correlated with rates of depression.