Canon EOS R5 has serious overheating issues – in both 4K and 8K

Andrew Reid

• Super Members
14 minutes ago, markr041 said:

Yes, there is a big heatsink in the Sigma fp's small body. But processors matter too for thermal efficiency.

Yes, I know.

The broader point was that wherever that heat was coming from, Sigma had a strategy front and centre in the design to deal with it.

Their initial presentation of the fp made as much if not more of an issue about it as they did about any other individual feature of the camera.

It doesn't make Sigma any more right or wrong than Canon, just that they placed much more emphasis on it as an integral aspect of the design.

Which left them no time to do any AF 😉

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
49 minutes ago, Kisaha said:

I will inform the engineers of Panasonic, Canon, Sony and other brands of their lack of full information. I hope they will do their homework. Thank you very much.

Really? You really want to keep acting out with ugly sarcasm just because you were found to have made a mistaken post? No one insulted you. Learn about cooling before you make claims is all that was said. Someone else also provided some information on the fp's cooling method who has more information than I do..

54 minutes ago, markr041 said:

The Canon 8K is also RAW, and it has the worst overheating of all the choices. For some reason there are no RAW options for 4K on the R5.

Product segmentation, perhaps?

I think there has been 4 important aspects of the R5 release:

1) internal RAW took a baby step to becoming mainstream.

2) 10-bit 4:2:2 Log recording is the new baseline.

3) 4K HFR (anything higher than 60p) is the new slow motion benchmark.

4) You no longer need gloves in the winter when operating your mirrorless camera.

6 hours ago, Super8 said:

I had 2 BMP6K's wet the bed and ruin a shoot over multiple days.  

I'll take short record times any day over ruined  color.  And the crazy thing is Black Magic is still selling the P4k and P6K as is.

Out of curiosity, what happened with the BMP6K's? I have a BMP6K and 2 4Ks that I have used for hundreds of hours on countless shoots and I haven't had any trouble with them in ages. I had one of the 4Ks drain the battery and turn off when on external power on one shoot, but even that hasn't happened in over a year. I use V-mount batteries and record to T5s and I haven't had any issues to speak of in ages. Just curious about your issue so that I can be on the lookout.

7 minutes ago, drm said:

Out of curiosity, what happened with the BMP6K's? I have a BMP6K and 2 4Ks that I have used for hundreds of hours on countless shoots and I haven't had any trouble with them in ages. I had one of the 4Ks drain the battery and turn off when on external power on one shoot, but even that hasn't happened in over a year. I use V-mount batteries and record to T5s and I haven't had any issues to speak of in ages. Just curious about your issue so that I can be on the lookout.

We had various degrees of IR pollution issues with the P6K.

4 hours ago, Kisaha said:

So, how Sigma does it, and noone else can? Please inform us.

Sigma does not have a professional camcorder line or business division to protect. Canon does and does not want us to use the R5 like a true camcorder.

This overheating problem and 29 minute time cripple was well known inside Canon during the R5 development.

I have a contact inside Canon that told me over 2 months ago "Cliff,...the R5 WILL have heavy video recording restrictions" He wouldn't tell me why or any more about it. But yeah,...if you look at my posts here and everywhere where I told people this. I was called a "negative troll" for stating this! See?

Anyway....Canon has always known about this are were 100% perfectly fine with it. Canon Cine division managers are perfectly happy with it too.

3 hours ago, drm said:

Lurking here for ages. Easy to post here, I have this or that from an anonymous alias, no? Only truth is information, otherwise is adulterated. Pure misinformation.

I cannot understand how this is allowed. He is just a troll, should be banned.

9 hours ago, Super8 said:

I had 2 BMP6K's wet the bed and ruin a shoot over multiple days.  

I'll take short record times any day over ruined  color.  And the crazy thing is Black Magic is still selling the P4k and P6K as is.

Dude once again, that is on you and not the camera. You know you need to shoot with an IR filter on a bm camera.... 

Offcourse they are still selling them as they are brilliant cameras for an amazing price. 

6 minutes ago, zerocool22 said:

Dude once again, that is on you and not the camera. You know you need to shoot with an IR filter on a bm camera.... 

Offcourse they are still selling them as they are brilliant cameras for an amazing price. 

Do you still believe or take in consideration what he writes?

The funny side of all this is to take a peak at the DpReview forum of Canon users supporting the R5.  The same users who not so long ago were saying we don't need 4K when Canon were giving us badly cropped 4K are now saying how great 8K is.  The same users who attacked Sony for chasing specs and delivering unreliable cameras that shut down due to overheating are trying to justify the overheating of the R5 and saying it doesnt matter.  Hypocrisy, thigh name are Canon users.  🤣🤣🤣

1 hour ago, SteveV4D said:

The funny side of all this is to take a peak at the DpReview forum of Canon users supporting the R5.  The same users who not so long ago were saying we don't need 4K when Canon were giving us badly cropped 4K are now saying how great 8K is.  The same users who attacked Sony for chasing specs and delivering unreliable cameras that shut down due to overheating are trying to justify the overheating of the R5 and saying it doesnt matter.  Hypocrisy, thigh name are Canon users.  🤣🤣🤣

What's even funnier, were people that were saying the heating issue was a lazy excuse for Canon not implementing raw & higher bit rate on their DSLR  years back are now the same people complaining about over heating on the R5 & R6. 

I guess there is no pleasing some. 

It really is insanity to see people justifying the overheating. 

Why? 

Because Canon literally could've done more to prevent it! They made a conscious choice to not put anything in the camera to remedy the problem. 

I get that Canon users feel some form of vindication that they're finally "innovating" (I guess?) after years of complacency, but come on! This shouldn't be acceptable, whether it's Canon, Sony, Nikon, Panasonic, etc.