Canon EOS R5 has serious overheating issues – in both 4K and 8K

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
4 minutes ago, Kisaha said:

I totally agree with you, but hybrid cameras have been involved from photo cameras. Panasonic is the only one doing it "right" (even on the GH5, it is quite big and heavy for a m43 camera, but it is a video workhorse).

I am still waiting for the XC type Canon video camera, let's put the "insides" of the R5 on one, add a fan, and call it a C100mkIII !!

The GH5 has a tiny sensor. We are talking about full-frame here. Again, the Sigma fp is full-frame, and you can shoot 12bit DNG RAW  (2980 Mbps) with no overheating in a much smaller body than any Sony, Panasonic, Z-Cam.

Just now, markr041 said:

The GH5 has a tiny sensor. We are talking about full-frame here. again, the Sigma fp is full-frame, and you can shoot 12bit DNG RAW  (2980 Mbps) with no overheating in a much smaller body than any Sony, Panasonic, Z-Cam.

Yes, and almost nothing is being processed when you shooting 12-but RAW. It’s just basically wrapping it in a container and dumping it to memory card.

• Administrators
1 minute ago, markr041 said:

The GH5 has a tiny sensor. We are talking about full-frame here. Again, the Sigma fp is full-frame, and you can shoot 12bit DNG RAW  (2980 Mbps) with no overheating in a much smaller body than any Sony, Panasonic, Z-Cam.

Plus it runs off a GH2 battery.

Incredibly efficient processor and sensor.

Quite amazing really.

The EOS R5 could learn a lot from it.

Panasonic did it right on their full frame cameras too, and they have the smaller "Netflix approved" hybrid camera. I do not know much about the Sigma camera, so I can't comment.

6 minutes ago, Video Hummus said:

Yes, and almost nothing is being processed when you shooting 12-but RAW. It’s just basically wrapping it in a container and dumping it to memory card.

The Canon 8K is also RAW, and it has the worst overheating of all the choices. For some reason there are no RAW options for 4K on the R5.

3 minutes ago, Kisaha said:

So, how Sigma does it, and noone else can? Please inform us.

I am stating the facts about actual performance. If you want to learn more about the technical aspects of cooling, do your own homework. You might also check out Z cams as well, which can shoot at high bitrates in HFR with no fan and no overheating in smallish bodies.

• Super Members

Sigma designed a heatsink and attached a camera to it.

Seems they had some sort of intuition that full frame cameras in small bodies might run a bit on the warm side.

Considering the gulf in price between the R5 and the nearest camera with a comparable spec, I'm sure some enterprising company could make some money rehousing them into more cinema camera style bodies with a proper cooling system.

If this thing was £2K dearer and didn't overheat then I'm sure no one who wanted 8K RAW would baulk at that price.

People have been cinevising stills lenses for years so maybe its time to do the same with bodies.

Just now, BTM_Pix said:

Sigma designed a heatsink and attached a camera to it.

Seems they had some sort of intuition that full frame cameras in small bodies might run a bit on the warm side.

Considering the gulf in price between the R5 and the nearest camera with a comparable spec, I'm sure some enterprising company could make some money rehousing them into more cinema camera style bodies with a proper cooling system.

If this thing was £2K dearer and didn't overheat then I'm sure no one who wanted 8K RAW would baulk at that price.

People have been cinevising stills lenses for years so maybe its time to do the same with bodies.

Yes, there is a big heatsink in the Sigma fp's small body. But processors matter too for thermal efficiency.

I am stating the facts about actual performance. If you want to learn more about the technical aspects of cooling, do your own homework. You might also check out Z cams as well, who can shoot at high bitrates in HFR with no fan and no overheating.

Thank you for not providing the full information to the community. Much obliged.

10 minutes ago, Kisaha said:

Thank you for not providing the full information to the community. Much obliged.

Look, I am not withholding information, I am not an expert on cooling. Another instance of your shooting your mouth off without knowledge. Why would you think I would be an expert on cooling cameras just because I posted information on a camera's actual performance? Again, do your own homework. 

Just now, markr041 said:

Look, I am not withholding information, I am not an expert on cooling. Another instance of your shooting your mouth off without knowledge. Do you get I am not an expert on cooling, I was just providing a fact about a camera and its performance? Why would you think I would be an expert on cooling cameras just because I posted information on a camera's actual performance? Again,,do your own homework. 

I will inform the engineers of Panasonic, Canon, Sony and other brands of their lack of full information. I hope they will do their homework. Thank you very much.

4 hours ago, Andrew Reid said:

EOS-R5-record-time-limits.jpg

New blog post with the latest test results.

https://www.eoshd.com/news/the-canon-eos-r5-overheating-impact-on-different-types-of-filmmaking/

The 4K/120p goes for 15 minutes.

What I need to test is whether you can shoot 10 seconds here, 20 seconds there, with short breaks in-between for the duration of a shoot.

Because if that produces too much heat we are truly stuffed.

Would an external recorder solve the overheating issue? 

Might this be the SAVE that Canon could use?