Canon EOS R5 has serious overheating issues – in both 4K and 8K

Andrew Reid

I think the 8k mode was actually designed for photographers, where they are shooting hybrid. 

so you will shoot on maybe a bridal entrance on 8k video and pull stills from it. Short bursts only 

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

I think perhaps we’re missing the point. Just like their previous “hybrids” it’s a stills camera first and foremost. The difference now is that instead of video being an afterthought thrown on in case photographers *must* shoot a few clips, it is now “video for photographers.”

What I mean by that is the 8K video mode is basically a 30fps burst mode to pull stills from. It’s the first stills camera in what is probably going to be the near future of photography - no distinction between stills and video. 8K RAW is the first video mode that can really claim the image quality of a frame is equal to high-end photography (especially in combination with Canon’s AF making every frame perfect). I’m surprised they’re not offering an open gate mode to be honest. 

I mean the fact is no other mirrorless camera gives you full frame 8k, 4k 120p, 60p, or 8k oversampled 30p. The mere fact that you can use these settings is a great accomplishment, cause you can't use them with any other mirrorless. I'd rather have then as an option than not have them at all. I can shoot all day in standard 4k 30p mode and mix it in with some hfr modes if I want. 

To all those saying, ye but it's not worth the price...well the market will decide what it is worth. Again you don't get any of these options in any other mirrorless. 8 stops, dual pixel, uncropped 4k, flippy screen, 10 bit internal, etc etc.  

The constant moaning and complaining is unnecessary. Just compare this to the way the xt4 was treated. Apparently that camera is perfect despite having crap ibis where you can't pan and unreliable autofocus (people had to turn to YouTube and Philip bloom for that info). 

So it overheats in certain modes. Don't worry, you will be fine, it's not the end of the world. 

I think we can all be grateful for the large amount of tech and options we have now. This is certainly an impressive release from Canon. 

However it is odd to put out a product that overheats. If it's a professional tool why can't it perform in professional settings. Is it meant to be a camera for hobbyists and niche users? 

On the other hand small cameras like these are unprecedented with such high resolutions. But I think its a legitimate thing to ask, "are these limitations due to technology limitations or because Canon doesn't want to put out the best product they can"?

I'll definitely be considering an EOS R6 down the line for the ability to record very high quality imagery with amazing AF. Record limits can always be bypassed with an external recorder. 8k and pixel binned 4k isn't really my thing. 

Oh, there's really no reason for childish fan generalization sort of like/dislike - most of us don't complain at all, nor anything here deserves any such emotion (at least from me). It is quit possible at the same time to enjoy in coming of advanced technology and to note some common sense problem in real world usage... what exactly motivated this thread, as far as I understand.

After all arguments, critics and applause for effort or step further in technology, the question, I believe, for most of us interested in matter will be simple: to spend sum of 4-5000 euro here or somewhere else? Judging from my humble criteria of projected opportunities (and zero interest in photography) - at the moment I'd spend this sum just for one really video/indiemovie workhorse, which R5 apparently is not if overheating danger/distraction exists even at base 4k raw shooting level. Someone else (probably with more free money at disposal) will greatly enjoy in different aspects of R5 offer, and it's apparently also well founded choice.

Huge bummer.

I was *extremely* excited about these new cameras but this overheating issue basically makes them worthless to the professional (or even prosumer) user.

On the future R5 Mark II (or R5 Rev B) they should really put active cooling in there along with vents (they don't even to be active all the time, only when temperature reaches a certain threshold).

Another option: Make your chips more energy efficient by going to a lower nm size (say 5nm like Apple, or at the very least 7nm). Going this route will definitely hit margins but considering how expensive these cameras are sold I'm pretty sure Canon is already making some good money on them, and beside whatever margins they "lose" they will make up for it by selling more cameras (as it is, I strongly doubt that serious videographers will buy this; this camera "as is" right now will only attract the still photography market, or the hobbyist market who has the money and time to spare to let the camera cool down).

I think this is the least onerous way for canon to segment it's cameras. For starters it's based on a physical thing, it's not purely gimping. Any cooling solutions would have compromised the size, shape, battery life.  The main thing that gets my goat is that companies who don't have a cinema camera division to protect (whose names end with ikon) are falling so far behind when they could've been leading. 

However I'm sure if they didn't sell cinema cameras with higher margins that they might have been able to find a technological solution. I wonder why nobody has thought of a battery grip or studio base like that gh5 audio solution that has fans? Something you can plug into the camera body that will extract the hot air.  Small body for running round, large add on for studio or longer takes. 

1 hour ago, Yurolov said:

I mean the fact is no other mirrorless camera gives you full frame 8k, 4k 120p, 60p, or 8k oversampled 30p. The mere fact that you can use these settings is a great accomplishment, cause you can't use them with any other mirrorless. I'd rather have then as an option than not have them at all. I can shoot all day in standard 4k 30p mode and mix it in with some hfr modes if I want. 

To all those saying, ye but it's not worth the price...well the market will decide what it is worth. Again you don't get any of these options in any other mirrorless. 8 stops, dual pixel, uncropped 4k, flippy screen, 10 bit internal, etc etc.  

The constant moaning and complaining is unnecessary. Just compare this to the way the xt4 was treated. Apparently that camera is perfect despite having crap ibis where you can't pan and unreliable autofocus (people had to turn to YouTube and Philip bloom for that info). 

So it overheats in certain modes. Don't worry, you will be fine, it's not the end of the world. 

You seem to be taking the critique of an inanimate object way too personally. Concerns about over heating and rolling shutter are fairly reasonable for a camera costing £4200. This is 2020 and it feels like we're going backwards in some ways. Amazing tech in a body that can't handle it is nothing new, although very un Canon like. I feel the chasing of headline 8k raw has created a great concept camera that isn't reliable and has compromised the more important 4k which I would argue is the most useful resolution for the majority of people.

Feels a bit petty having a dig at another much cheaper camera over supposed preferential treatment.

..but seriously, who was expecting unlimited recording on 8K raw and whatnot?

I don't need almost any of those features, and I wasn't expecting a lot more than marketing tricks and promises.

The great thing is that those exotic features work! That is great, they are really there and anyone can use them, for a little while at least; of course there are compromises, but the specs are there.

I am more dissapointed about a few "weird" decisions on the R6 though, that is the camera that most interests me, because I would never pay for 45mgpxls (something around 24-30 would be perfect for my needs), 8K (the market just started asking for 4K, and still 1080p is the norm, I could do with 5K or 6K for croping and stuff but it is not huge for me), 4K/120 (I have used 1080p/120f once or twice in my life time. I was working on high speed cameras though for a moon and a half, but that's a completely different story than 120frames). So, what I really need, is most certainly a 3000euros R camera, and not the 4550 one, nor the 2500 one!

I probably can do with the R6, it's been so long that I had a Canon camera that I can't wait anymore! this seems like a good enough release for a hybrid and some photo jobs. I will be waiting for the reviews ofcourse, and a couple of more releases, jobs are scarce at the minute and my next ones will be most certainly sound jobs, so I need a few more wireless sets first.

I am taking a quote from @thebrothersthre3 and I condlude that the video specs interest more "hobbyists and niche users", which these days can support big releases on their own, most of those are youtubers/influencers and all these new "jobs". If you ask a little kid, they do not want to be doctors and engineers anymore, a youtuber is a lot nicer, and if they can do it on 8K then they have their amps on 11, while we are still at 10..

EDIT: I saw Tesla mentioned somewhere...

https://www.latimes.com/business/story/2020-06-24/new-j-d-power-quality-survey-tesla-in-last-place-dodge-and-kia-tie-for-first

Absolutely unacceptable that the camera has an overheating issue.

Even if i could get one for half the prize, i will nt buy it because of this issue.
dear Canon, fix it or dont produce it. Simple as that.

2 things that are bad. Overheating, very bad, unacceptable and whynot an standard  hdmi port.

the specs are very good, but because of overheating this camera cannot be used for weddings, interviews, and feature films, it will be a waste of my money. In this conditions even for free i wont accept it. Have a heart Canon, you made us happy with a dead bird.

The Canon R5 will be a hard sell against the soon to be released Sony A7sII successor.

Rumored A7sII successor specs so far (from Sonyalpharumors):

- FHD 240fps, 4k120fps 10bit 4:2:2 and 4K120fps raw over HDMI

- Highest resolution new 9.44 million dot EVF (QXGA resolution)

- New kind of passive (noise free) cooling system

21 minutes ago, wobba said:

The Canon R5 will be a hard sell against the soon to be released Sony A7sII successor.

na to 15MP, too low res for hybrid

and 2, no HDMI recorder support 4K120p.. so that part might be B$

I remember it need SDI for 4K120P as FS5 have done.

• Administrators
20 minutes ago, wobba said:

All a lot more sensible specs than 8K.

I think the cause of all these overheating problems is pretty easy to fix. 

MAKE THE BODIES LARGER.

It is a race to the bottom, to make / keep camera bodies smaller and lighter. Whilst, on the other hand, the specs and capabilities are increasing. It's like a identidy crisis. What do you want?  A smaller body? Or better specs? You can't have both apparently. Not yet.

Panasonic got everything right with their S-line. Except for AF. Which is something they could fix. 
Even the S1, which has no fan, doesn't overheat. I've tested it at weddings in the sun, at 30c and it keeps on going. No recording limit as well. Why can it do this? I believe because of the bigger body. Simple physics.
Of course Sony A-bodies overheat. Look at how small and fiddly they are.

If people would just get over the fact that their camera bodies have to become a big larger and heavier to get it to function properly, then this wouldn't happen. 

8 minutes ago, Stab said:

MAKE THE BODIES LARGER.

It is a race to the bottom, to make / keep camera bodies smaller and lighter. Whilst, on the other hand, the specs and capabilities are increasing. It's like a identidy crisis. What do you want?  A smaller body? Or better specs? You can't have both apparently. Not yet.

Panasonic got everything right with their S-line. Except for AF. Which is something they could fix. 
Even the S1, which has no fan, doesn't overheat. I've tested it at weddings in the sun, at 30c and it keeps on going. No recording limit as well. Why can it do this? I believe because of the bigger body. Simple physics.

If people would just get over the fact that their camera bodies have to become a big larger and heavier to get it to function properly, then this wouldn't happen. 

A bigger size? Not necessarily. How about the Sigma fp, which records full-frame 12bit 4K 30P DNG RAW (2980 Mbps) with no overheating? No fan, and very compact camera - smaller than the Z Cams and the BMPCC's. and all the Sony A's.

There are other factors too. The size of the process node (40nm, 22nm, 14nm?) the CPU and ISP are made on. I suspect all the camera manufactures are behind or can’t get those chips on newer node sizes.

There is a reason an IPhone 11 Pro with a Apple built A13 SoC at 7nm can do amazing  things in a tiny phone. You can edit 4K video on that thing and export it faster than an IMac in some cases.

All passive cooling in a form factor 20x smaller than an R5.

I think the problem lies with the ISP chips that are handling the RAW data, as most of the newer cameras are using ARM based off the shelf CPUs for the UI, IO, and operating systems on the cameras.

Would love to see someone open up an R5 and see what’s inside and see what they did to control heat. What chips they are using.

12 minutes ago, Stab said:

MAKE THE BODIES LARGER.

I totally agree with you, but hybrid cameras have been involved from photo cameras. Panasonic is the only one doing it "right" (even on the GH5, it is quite big and heavy for a m43 camera, but it is a video workhorse).

I am still waiting for the XC type Canon video camera, let's put the "insides" of the R5 on one, add a fan, and call it a C100mkIII !!