Canon EOS R5 has serious overheating issues – in both 4K and 8K

Andrew Reid

11 minutes ago, Neumann Films said:

I'm happy that they just pushed tech forward so far. All it means is that other companies will now feel the pressure to add more features at a cheaper price point...so the consumer wins. Anytime this has happened it's a good thing. 

I'm just used to having to do little workarounds. So for me, it doesn't seem like this is some big thing that people need to freak out over. 

This camera marks the entry level for 8K and that is something that will be a benchmark that is remembered years from now. Many many many shooters will create mind blowing stuff with this camera, I can guarantee that.

I agree and don't get me wrong, I am very happy the R5 has been released.  The camera industry is richer because of it.  Anyone who can think outside the box and release a camera that tries to push what is possible is a good thing.  Take the Pocket 4K, first to bring 4K RAW to the masses.  Okay, no flip screen, poor battery life, no IBIS or AF, no weather sealant, but it still did it.  And many like me struggle through the issues to make it work for us.

The fact the R5 isn't for me, is neither here nor there.  I'm not freaked out about the limitations, but am happy to discuss and ponder on them.  It shows where technology currently sits.  Forums tend to exaggerate feelings.  If we were chatting face to face, you'd get a better reflection as to where I feel on this matter.

My only concern is hiring 2nd shooters who buy the hype and get the camera and think innovation will see them through a 90 minute Ceremony.  I've had one guy I hired go wrong thanks to using a Sony camera.  One long 25 minute clip, followed by dozens of 20 seconds to 1 minute clips that I had to work with to form the end of the Ceremony. 

Not good, and down to overheating.  I'm afraid for my work, it's not a small issue.  Its not like bad AF.  This is consistent and you know where you stand with it.  Problem with over heating is that you don't know.  It could run before shutdown for an hour or just 15 mins.  For my work, that uncertainty would cripple me.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
9 minutes ago, SteveV4D said:

Take the Pocket 4K, first to bring 4K RAW to the masses.  Okay, no flip screen, poor battery life, no IBIS or AF, no weather sealant, but it still did it.  And many like me struggle through the issues to make it work for us.

Yup, this is the point I have been trying to make but you have made it more eloquently!

Blackmagic pushed other entry level camera makers to include similar specs and try to beat them at price point. The R5 represents a pretty sizable leap forward in what we can expect to have in a camera. Many of these things were thought to be impossible to even get into a single camera and they somehow got all of them! This will push Blackmagic, Panasonic, Sony and all others to either lower the price of their future offerings or innovate and add new tech.

In that scenario, we all win.

27 minutes ago, ajay said:

Well, being a wildlife photographer/videographer there are a few issues in my opinion.

• I shoot primarily 120p 4k now with a Zcam. I can use the footage in regular time and in slo-mo. I love that kind of flexibility. My interest in the R5 is to shoot 120p 4k. When shooting on the Z Cam I can get close to 90 minutes of footage on a 256GB chip. On the R5, that's 16 minutes of run-time using ALL-I. That's the only option.
  • I often record a lot of footage while waiting for wildlife to do something. I don't have the liberty of going back and pressing the record button to capture something I may have missed. How long can I run the R5 in outdoor warm-weather conditions before it will overheat?  (Unanswered at this point.)
  • The processing power to edit these humongous files will require an upgrade to my computer more than likely.

There are so many things that I do like about the R5. Having a robust image stabilized camera with that form factor and fully articulating screen, 10 bit, etc. is really appealing. I really want a compact system and not have to carry around a bunch of large batteries, an external EVF and cables dangling, etc. Will this camera be my answer? I was hoping it would be but I'm having a hard time rationalizing an investment in 1TB CF Express cards at $800 a pop and not knowing how long I can record before overheating becomes an issue.

Curious of what lenses you use with the Zcam for your wildlife?  I'll be using a EF 600f4II, EF 300f2.8II and a EF 100-400f5.6II and only do birds (the 15 crane species to be specific). My experience doing wildlife stills professionally is it's 99% waiting for something interesting to happen and 1% action. I understand about your concern about missing something but what I do is fairly predictable ( I work with these birds daily). 

I see you're from SE Minnesota. Do you by chance know Neil Rettig?  He is working on a project now that I've been able to assist him with. Nice guy and has some great stories.

Just now, Andrew Reid said:

When it dies in the middle of a shot will the first thought be "I am glad Canon pushed the camera industry forward" or will it be "why did I spend £4000 on this because Peter McKinnon said it was the GRAIL CAMERA"?

Depends on whether you are an eternal pessimist or not, I suppose 😛

My personal outlook will remain unchanged. I shot a short film in 6 second chunks at -16 Q Scale to get a higher bitrate on the T2i when Magic Lantern first came out. And I loved it. Squeezing the best IQ out of a camera is right up my alley...and I thought yours as well but you seemed to have changed your tune since I was last here.

I think there are a couple things that everyone is missing

#1 If you look at the official Canon spec sheet here it seems that there are two flavors of 4K 24/30p in the R5, an 8K oversampled mode ("4K HQ - FINE" in the spec sheet) and a pixel binned/line skipped (or something like that) mode ("4K DCI" or "4K UHD" in the spec sheet). The oversampled mode seems to be reffered to as "4K 30P High Quality" in the overheating times list. If this is the case, then for long takes like interviews you can just use the pixel binned mode and not have to worry about overheating.

#2 Even if this wasn't the case, you could simply use the APS-C crop mode for very long takes ( probably oversampled from ~5K) and the overheating shouldn't be a problem.

48 minutes ago, Andrew Reid said:

When it dies in the middle of a shot will the first thought be "I am glad Canon pushed the camera industry forward" or will it be "why did I spend £4000 on this thing which Peter McKinnon said was THE GRAIL CAMERA"?

With my brief indie shooting experience I have to strongly support this simply very logical question. Actually, I'm little bit shocked that anyone who ever worked and depended of group of person (even more if they are don't payed) during project session could minimize or overlook this isolate problem. I have to have at least two BM Pocket 4k camera (instead one 6k) at disposal because of their sort of uncertainty - but it's easy with 1200e camera.

Mr Neumann... shooting even short film with team of  just three actors, and thinking if or not you have 5min at disposal before or after overheating.... come on, really no.

47 minutes ago, ted1000 said:

Curious of what lenses you use with the Zcam for your wildlife?  I'll be using a EF 600f4II, EF 300f2.8II and a EF 100-400f5.6II and only do birds (the 15 crane species to be specific). My experience doing wildlife stills professionally is it's 99% waiting for something interesting to happen and 1% action. I understand about your concern about missing something but what I do is fairly predictable ( I work with these birds daily). 

I see you're from SE Minnesota. Do you by chance know Neil Rettig?  He is working on a project now that I've been able to assist him with. Nice guy and has some great stories.

Hah! Yes, I know Neil. He was filming not too far from me last year. (Sandhill Crane nest)( I texted him often with updates on the nest.) I also have the EF 600f4II. I also shoot Sony mainly for stills nowadays and have the 200-600mm. It's a sweet lens for that system and I'm hoping maybe the A7SIII might provide a nice surprise: 120fps 4k. We shall see. For the Z cam with the 2x crop sensor I primarily use the Sigma 100-400mm lens (EF mount with metabones adapter - no glass adapter). This gives me an effective focal length of 200-800mm with the M43 sensor. I do occasionally put on the Canon 600mm on the Z cam but it's such a beast.

3 hours ago, Cliff Totten said:

A Tesla is a very high tech car but what good is all that technology if the car breaks down all the time and leaves you stranded?

Tesla's don't break down.  You're kinda proving the negative media biased by bringing up Tesla as a technology case study.   Be real.

I filmed outside today in 92 degree weather.  My longest run time was 2:44 min. 

I don't think the R5 would have made it today.  But the S1H AF tracking would have failed also.

1 hour ago, anonim said:

With my brief indie shooting experience I have to strongly support this simply very logical question. Actually, I'm little bit shocked that anyone who ever worked and depended of group of person (even more if they are don't payed) during project session could minimize or overlook this isolate problem. I have to have at least two BM Pocket 4k camera (instead one 6k) at disposal because of their sort of uncertainty - but it's easy with 1200e camera.

Mr Neumann... shooting even short film with team of  just three actors, and thinking if or not you have 5min at disposal before or after overheating.... come on, really no.

I had 2 BMP6K's wet the bed and ruin a shoot over multiple days.  

I'll take short record times any day over ruined  color.  And the crazy thing is Black Magic is still selling the P4k and P6K as is.

• Administrators

EOS-R5-record-time-limits.jpg

New blog post with the latest test results.

https://www.eoshd.com/news/the-canon-eos-r5-overheating-impact-on-different-types-of-filmmaking/

The 4K/120p goes for 15 minutes.

What I need to test is whether you can shoot 10 seconds here, 20 seconds there, with short breaks in-between for the duration of a shoot.

Because if that produces too much heat we are truly stuffed.

4 minutes ago, Super8 said:

I'll take short record times any day over ruined  color.  And the crazy thing is Black Magic is still selling the P4k and P6K as is.

unfortunately issues could happen with any camera, I have shoot ruined by a Red camera, but anyway, you have to choose the best tool for the job, I don't see me choosing a camera with record time issues even before starting the shoot, no way, I hope with an external recorded the issues with the R5 can be fixed. 

Just now, Super8 said:

Nothing wrong with bmpcc. The IQ and color shits all over these Japanese cameras. If you are doing narrative there is nothing better for the price. That's why they sold a ton of them and there is such a great filmmaking community behind them where the camera is celebrated even though it has its foibles because people find creative ways of overcoming the short comings. People are just grateful that they have a cinema camera for next to nothing and can do their art. Here we complain about overheating 8k raw which we all knew would happen. 

28 minutes ago, Super8 said:

Tesla's don't break down.  You're kinda proving the negative media biased by bringing up Tesla as a technology case study.   Be real.

I filmed outside today in 92 degree weather.  My longest run time was 2:44 min. 

I don't think the R5 would have made it today.  But the S1H AF tracking would have failed also.

No,...Im not picking on Tesla. I have no idea about that car's reliability. I'm just a generic point that all the tech in the world is not very good if it's not reliable.

If Canon is saying,..."yes, you get overheating and short unreliable record times....but we give you 8k raw!!"

Yeah....nobody wants 8k raw. We want a stable camera that records 4k without stupid limitations.

37 minutes ago, Yurolov said:

Here we complain about overheating 8k raw which we all knew would happen. 

But as far as I understand, overheating is also danger even in 4k?

I read somewhere that limit in 24/30p is about or less than 30min... and we still don't know if there's cumulative effect of shooting because of bad dissipation. 

But If overheating exists only in 8k, it would be great! (Although for myself I'd rather use two P6k instead... or buy C200B :)