Canon EOS R5 has serious overheating issues – in both 4K and 8K

Andrew Reid

The situation is likely to be much worse in reality, since those numbers refer to an operating temperature of 23 degree Celsius - that's 73.4 Fahrenheit, the temperature of mild Northern American/Middle European climate or an air-conditioned room.

In summer, in regions like Southern Europe, California, South America, Africa, much of Asia, or any place with subtropical or tropical climate, I guess you can completely forget about shooting RAW video outdoors with this camera.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

If Canon had given us their version of the S1H with DPAF in uncropped 4K at 10 bit upto 60p, with unlimited recording times, maybe even 6K recording with AF; the camera would be very useful to far more people here and attract less cristism.

Its wonderful that Canon is taking video seriously again, but I feel they've gone the other way.  They've crippled a cameras usability for some with huge video features rather than a lack of them.

Of course like all other cameras out there with their own brand of limitations, it can and will be worked around by users determined to get the best from this camera.  I'm not knocking those who wish to buy this camera and who say these issues won't impact on their filming; but don't pretend these are not genuine negatives for the camera.  

I knew there was something wrong with this. I thought Canon was going to leap forward but who were we kidding. Think about it. Canon always wants to protect their cinema cameras. This makes working filmmakers go ugggg I can't work with that and come up with more to buy the new cinema cameras.  And the main target is hobbyist/prosumer who want the best specs on paper or a photographer who want to grab a shots that the quality will hold up to the quality of the stills.

It not meant for film or video production. They do not want it to be. But they want those specs to get the people to buy the R5 but are also the people who would never go all out and buy the C500 MK II because they have no real need for it. 

It keeps a strong divide from Professional and Prosumer customers. Prosumer want the best specs to show off there toy but don't have a reason to spend the pro level. Pro level needs stuff to work and are willing to spend for it. Two separate groups to sell two separate products too.  

After reading about this I have no interest in ever using this camera on a set, its not a video or cinema camera. My inexpensiveness GH5S do amazing work for docs and B-Camera with my Red Gemini in a pinch or crash cam. Ill stick with Panasonic because they do have the best balance of both world or Pro and Prosumer.  Maybe I will look into the DC-S1H or the next generation as a replacement.    

• Administrators

Yup. Informed decision is what this is all about.

No unnecessary bias, just the facts, however negative they may be.

Peter McKinnon in the cool April Canadian breeze on his yacht noticed the overheating - so why didn't he dig a bit deeper and give us any info whatsoever on how this occurred, in what mode, after how much time and on what type of shoot? (Well we can guess what shoot - Canon advert!)

Instead he immediately moves onto how great the small body is and how it has to be small so can't have a fan!

The sheer cheek of it.

He thinks we are that stupid!

Some people may not like the facts, but when the problem bites them on the arse in the middle of a shoot I hope they'll remember my blog and how many of the shill-types glossed over it.

Just a joke... 🙂

- Look, I just bought a new car!

- Wow, it looks amazing!

- Yes! Read the specs: 2500 Horse Power, 450km/h, 0-100 in 1.3 sec!!!!!!!!!!! Only for 350.000€!

- Whaaaaaat! WTF!!!

- It has a little issue though.. When you start the engine, it explodes...

- Yeahhhh! Let's go for a ride!!! 

Well, the first camera made to combat climate change, since you'll even only get those twenty minutes recording time when outside temperatures are no more than 23 degree Celsius / 73.4 degree Fahrenheit.... Imagine the whole world buying it - then people will have a personal reason and urgency of fighting global warming.... (The plot thickens... Was this camera thought up by Greenpeace....?)

My first Sony was the A6500 and at the time it was great for what I needed it for.  On my first shoot it overheated all day long.   After 12-14 minutes it would happen. 

This was a job for just under 10K.  That night I went out and bought a G7 to finish shooting for Day 2. 

I hate overheating. 

I love Canon.

Hopefully it's not as bad as this thread and reaction make it out to be.

Canon has tried to give us as much video capabilities in the R5 they can without making any compromises on it as a stills camera. At the Canon-launch today we were something like 3 people who cared about the video specs and 30 who asked about the buffer size, AF at 800mm and other things that hardly matters for video.

I just wish they had made the R6 into a full fledged video camera like the a7s is to the a7r lineup. It has the same processor, and RAW out of the 20mp sensor would be better than 8k RAW for most of us, but it seems like the R6 is has more crippled video features (no 4k120 or RAW) than the R5 even though it should have been the better video camera.

2 minutes ago, rawshooter said:

Have you actually read the article, with the data sheet published by Canon?

Just to recall - @Andrew Reid republished this in the article:

canon-EOS-R5-overheating-time-limits-scaled.jpg

4 minutes ago, Super8 said:

Hopefully it's not as bad as this thread and reaction make it out to be.

We will need to see just how sensitive the over heating issue is.  How those record times are in the real world.   As indicated they could be much shorter.

The A6500 is still being sold and in Florida I couldn't get more than 15 minutes of record time. 

This doesn't see like a good decision by Canon.

25 minutes ago, Super8 said:

4 minutes ago, Super8 said:

We will need to see just how sensitive the over heating issue is.  How those record times are in the real world.  

Well, Canon writes that you will get more than 20 minutes only when the internal temperature of the camera is lower than 14 degrees Celsius - that's 57 degrees Fahrenheit. Unless one shoots in Alaska or at the North Pole (or in a refrigerator), that's unlikely to happen.

It even seems as if the 23 degrees Celsius/74 degrees Celsius refer to the camera's internal operating temperature - then your real-life recording time will likely be much shorter than 20 minutes.

4 minutes ago, rawshooter said:

Well, Canon writes that you will get more than 20 minutes only when the internal temperature of the camera is lower than 14 degrees Celsius - that's 57 degrees Fahrenheit. Unless one shoots in Alaska or at the North Pole (or in a refrigerator), that's unlikely to happen.

It even seems as if the 23 degrees Celsius/74 degrees Celsius refer to the camera's internal operating temperature - then your real-life recording time will likely be much shorter than 20 minutes.

I know that sucks doesn't it?  WTF Canon?

8 minutes ago, Emanuel said:

I am sure we will see a lot of this kind of solution over the internet in the next weeks, a dedicated cage with one or two fans is on its way for sure.