Canon EOS R5 has serious overheating issues – in both 4K and 8K

Andrew Reid

Its unfortunate but not surprising. The S1H and S1 has no heat issues but they are much larger cameras, S1H having internal fans. 

The XT3, A6300, and A73 all have overheating issues. Not sure about the Nikon Z6. 

I understand the overheating more with the R5 but its more of a bummer with the R6. 

Its one of the reasons I love Panasonic and wish they'd get their AF together. I think the S1H and S1 will remain really solid choices unless Sony really pulls something out of their hat. 

Record limits under 20 minutes definitely make things less desirable for weddings or any live events. 

20 minutes seems doable for filmmaking or most applications. Most takes aren't more than 5 minutes, that should give enough time to not get overheating. 

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
1 minute ago, Andrew Reid said:

"Little issues"

Is it just me or does the information I posted on the blog post indicate a complete show-stopper of an issue?

It depends on how competent you are at overcoming a cameras faults/quirks. They all have 'em. I have plenty of horror stories from working with RED cameras. It's part of the job...always has been, probably always will be.

You'd expect for £4000 the Canon would provide a bullet proof professional 4K camera - it's what we expect.

You...expected 8K RAW internal with IBIS and AF without overheating? I'm fairly certain the camera would lose IBIS or RAW and personally I am THRILLED that they decided not to do that. Again, this is coming from one of Canon's most vocal detractors. What was in your tea today?!

1 hour ago, gt3rs said:

Boy is first camera at any price that can do FF 120fps and you are crying because it does not fit your scenario of very long takes at 120fps then FF is not for you as this is the only one in town.... is like saying that a cheap dragster cannot race at daytona 24h...

If it's the first or last, it doesn't matter if it's not workable. Love all the other features on this camera but most of what I shoot nowadays is 120fps 4k video and unfortunately this camera won't do it for my personal reasons. Mileage may vary for others.

• Administrators
8 minutes ago, terozzz said:

Btw, where is that info about temp taken from? I cant find it on canon site..

LOL

Do you think Canon's marketing would tell you?!

It's buried deep into the CVP launch video around the 23:00 mark

And comes from manufacturer tests with the actual final camera.

"CANON have given us information on how long we can expect to get out of this camera"

The R5 will only overheat in 8K, 4K60p & 4K HQ. 

It shouldn't have any problems in regular 4K24p/30p.

Calling it unusable is a little extreme. What other hybrid camera can even approach these specs? 8K/4K120p FF no crop, DPAF2, RAW, 10-bit 4:2:2 internal.

Besides we've had 30mn recording limits for years due to EU laws. Hardly an issue for me personally..

That said, if Sony can do better, bring it on!

4 hours ago, Andrew Reid said:

Did you read the article?

The 4K/60p and 4K/30/25p/24p overheats in a similar way to the 8K.

Instead of 20 minutes it is 30 minutes.

Rude replies are what you're best at 😄

In article images it says "oversampled", so presumably only oversampled 4K overheats. That oversampling is a toggle in the camera menu: 

The fact of the matter is that in 2020, 4K RAW with no overheating would be much more useful for many professionals and the high resolution sensors should be given to specialty lines and not the workhorse FF body.

Now you have a superb stills camera, that will suffer from sub-optimal 4K modes and a "halo" 8K (RAW) mode that is going to be to burdensome for a lot of users to take full advantage off.

While 20 mins overheating times in certain modes are a bummer and could be a problem for some people, I for one, am glad they took the “lets put the feature in” versus saying “heat limitations wouldn’t have allowed it” and released something less exciting or groundbreaking. They would haven been lambasted for it either way.

It’s a lose-lose for them and they made the better decision here in my humble opinion.

Wether the headline is “R5 falls short: only offers 4K60p cropped” or “R5 has potential to overheat when recording 8K RAW(!) 4K120p(!), or oversampled 4K from 8K HQ mode(!). The later headline is forgivable!

3 minutes ago, Video Hummus said:

While 20 mins overheating times in certain modes are a bummer and could be a problem for some people, I for one, am glad they took the “lets put the feature in” versus saying “heat limitations wouldn’t have allowed it” and released something less exciting or useful and would haven been lambasted for it as well.

It’s a lose-lose for them and they made the better decision here in my humble opinion.

Wether the headline is “R5 falls short: only offers 4K60p cropped” or “R5 has potential to overheat when recording 8K RAW(!) 4K120p(!), or oversampled 4K from 8K HQ mode(!). The later headline is forgivable!

Say it again. A little louder for everyone in this sub.

For a company that has been ridiculed for not innovating (most of all...here on this site), they made the correct call. It's a leap forward and I applaud them for it. It will push everyone to follow suit! To solve this problem they would have had to leave out IBIS or AF. They kept them BOTH in.

It's really a remarkable technical achievement. After talking with Panasonic engineers a lot in the past about this stuff...the fact that they were able to cram all of this in is surprising.

Well, the news about the R5 overheating when recording RAW doesn't come to a surprise, doesn't it? In the initial thread about the camera, we said exactly that - that it either needs some never heard-of, science fiction electronic technology or an active cooling system in order not to overheat when recording 8K.

Here's the old thread:

Money quote from that posting: "I see forums littered with phrases like "Canon take my money!" Really? Not only have we not seen the full specs. No one has been able to test the camera. Something seems fishy to me."

And here:

By the way, do we have any info on the rolling shutter of the R5? With that high sensor resolution, I wouldn't hold my breath about that one either. 

We really need to wait till the dust settles, propaganda noise from the industry-paid YouTube influencers has faded, and there is real-life experience with the camera.

(A crucial part of info is how long the camera will need in order to cool off after those 20 minutes. It's not just that it needs to cool to to safe temperatures, but it will need to cool off thoroughly and to such a degree that it won't shut down again after 5 or 10 minutes.)

Where does it say that 4k/24p also overheats? The table specifically lists 4k/60p. 24p is limited to 29:59 recording time, sure, to avoid import taxes for video cameras. The camera could technically record longer.

• Administrators
39 minutes ago, Django said:

The R5 will only overheat in 8K, 4K60p & 4K HQ. 

It shouldn't have any problems in regular 4K24p/30p.

Oh that's ok then 🙂 Just ignore all the best modes on your shoot, and use the pixel binned 4K modes with lower image quality. May as well use the EOS R6 for the 4K/24p and save yourself $2000, no?

This is definitely taken by the Sony book. For years Sony was selling cameras only from the spec lists with terrible ergonomics, terrible battery life, overheating and the such and they reached No2..

Canon decided to play "dirty" and put everything they had on a camera, which isn't even that "expensive". I believe it is a good marketing strategy for them, but for me, it gives more points to Panasonic, as the most true and honest manufacturer out there.

It overheats? then make the biggest and heaviest m43 ever made (GH5) because it has to be a workhorse. We have to make a full frame hybrid video workhorse? put a fan into one if need be. That is an incredible approach, especially back in the Alpha and alpha days but even still...

Another point I want to make, is that there is a new business model out there, that they do not need workhorse cameras anymore.

Some people can just use any camera producing small clips, or youtube videos and earn their bread (and butter). For me, it is unacceptable that a camera may ,or may not, overheat on a job (even FS7 do rarely and its a huge thing on set), but I see a lot of the younger generation that have no problem with that.

6 minutes ago, Andrew Reid said:

May as well use the EOS R6 for the 4K/24p and save yourself $2000, no?

Glad they have a R6 to fill that price bracket and user case!

10 minutes ago, Neumann Films said:

It's really a remarkable technical achievement. After talking with Panasonic engineers a lot in the past about this stuff...the fact that they were able to cram all of this in is surprising.

Yes it is, and now I’m even more excited to see what Sony can do and what Panasonic will answer with.

Huge opening now for a S35/MFT 6.5K or 8K camera that does all that the R5 does but with unlimited recording (because of smaller sensor/less heat/etc...).

Fact seems to be FF 8K, HFR, high MP is a problem too cool in anything but a cinema camera body with active cooling. Unless sensor tech and processing gets faster and cooler this will be a FF limitation for the time being.