Canon EOS R5 has serious overheating issues – in both 4K and 8K

Andrew Reid

• Administrators

Nitpicking?

Don't shoot the messenger!

It's hardly nitpicking if the camera goes off in the middle of a shoot is it?

What happens if you lose a shot and have to down tools for 10 minutes, and then can only go for a few minutes more before the same happens again?

How in any way is that fit for purpose professionally or for paid work?

And for live stuff, documentaries, interviews, it's a complete no-go, even in 4K.

I'd much rather have a fan in there like the Panasonic S1H and know it is fit for paid work, or even Netflix.

Can you imagine the EOS R5 getting Netflix approval, only for the entire production to be downed countless times in one session due to the overheating problems?

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
5 minutes ago, Neumann Films said:

I’m happy to let my footage do the talking to bring more of you over to my camp.

I think it’s an incredible achievement and nitpicking about stuff that can easily be worked around is...a bit much. To each his own though, it’s your investment and you know what you need in a camera. It’s my A cam for just about everything. For everything it doesn’t work for, I will rent. Easy.

Happy with the dynamic range and noise levels?

What about rolling shutter?

• Administrators
3 minutes ago, Neumann Films said:

It’s my A cam for just about everything. For everything it doesn’t work for, I will rent. Easy.

It's hilarious. For years Canon have been the conservative ones, telling us they are not doing this or that for reliability reasons or waiting to get it bullet proof.

Holding back on video specs to avoid reliability problems has been the Canon mantra!

Then they do a complete U-turn on reliability just to put an 8K badge on the box 😂

The EOS R5 is a pro's camera. It isn't a $1000 A6300 toy.

If it lets you down on a shoot that is a total disaster and something no pro would consider working around.

How would you work-around it anyway? An icepack? A nice breeze? Put it in the same bucket as the lobster in the catering tent?

I think some people are in denial

This Is Fine GIF

1 minute ago, Lars Steenhoff said:

Happy with the dynamic range and noise levels?

What about rolling shutter?

He hasn't even used it yet

1 hour ago, Neumann Films said:

Andrew, I love you buddy but...this has to be a satirical post. 🙂

You have criticized Canon for a lack of innovation more than anyone. They overachieve and bring an innovative and groundbreaking piece of tech at well under market price and you’re focusing on the only “con”. They deserve credit for this. It’s pretty jaw dropping on paper.

It's specs are obviously impressive, but what do specs matter if the camera is functionally limited? If you constantly need to give the camera a break to use these "groundbreaking" features, how is that practical?

Innovation is great, but it should be fully realized, not half baked and just thrown out there because you're trying to undermine the competition. 

I hope once we are able to really see this camera in action that it exceeds expectations. 

• Administrators
3 minutes ago, berkenboom said:

i just watched the reviews from Gordon Laing.

And one thing i noticed is that the R6 has a sticker on the back warning about the hot surface, while the R5 does not.
Seems like canon did not forsee the r5 overheating

r5.png

r6.png

The guy probably peeled it off

"Nothing to see here!"

BUY IT NOW

Is it not a hybrid camera rather than a pure cine camera?

For anything longer than clips at a wedding such as ceremonies & speeches, camcorder.

Problem avoided.

Never had an overheating issue at any wedding and most of mine are outdoors at 30 degrees C plus and sometimes over 40 here in SW France. And those are temps in the shade and humble XT3.

If anything, it’s the operator that can overheat but ice sprays and a cold cloth around the neck plus hat and litres of cold water limit the issue!

Who/what is this camera designed for?

I see it as a hybrid.

Ha, apparently this is a HOT topic 🥵 in the forum topic titles!

30 minutes ago, Andrew Reid said:

Smartphone H.265 encoder / CPU are off the shelf components and not even expensive. Look at BOM cost for a Samsung S20.

Nothing to stop Canon from using latest 7nm node manufacturing if they wanted to.

The EOS R5 overheats because it is not the latest cutting edge silicon.

Frankly, for £4000 it should be!

This is wild speculation. Have you x-rayed a Digic X to determine the process node? The reality is that it's much more likely the sensor is what's generating the heat here, not the DSP.

23 minutes ago, Andrew Reid said:

Nitpicking?

Don't shoot the messenger!

It's hardly nitpicking if the camera goes off in the middle of a shoot is it?

What happens if you lose a shot and have to down tools for 10 minutes, and then can only go for a few minutes more before the same happens again?

How in any way is that fit for purpose professionally or for paid work?

And for live stuff, documentaries, interviews, it's a complete non-starter.

I'd much rather have a fan in there like the Panasonic S1H and know it is fit for paid work, or even Netflix.

Can you imagine the EOS R5 getting Netflix approval, only for the entire production to be downed countless times in one session due to the overheating problems?

Here is the work that I will be using it for that it makes perfect sense to utilize:

- Short Films

- Music Videos

- Commercials

- Stock Footage

- Pro Stills

- BTS

- YouTube videos

I previously used a RED Helium for this work and just sold it for this. That saved me $25,000.

I don’t do weddings or corporate stuff so it’s not an issue for me. You know how you overcome little issues like overheating? You practice and use the camera enough to know it’s quirks and then you shoot/plan around them.

• Administrators

Sounds like you're the one with wild speculation that it's the sensor and not the processor!

All I know is that a smartphone can encode 8K in H.265, and that it is the most computational demanding task in the camera.

The sensor readout for 8K can also be done in a smartphone form factor.

The EOS R5 has no excuses for not properly managing the heat.

The past 3 months of R5 waiting and wondering and hoping has turned into a virtual train wreck for many of us. This is bad for any kind of moderate long form event shooting. Downright impossible.

The Canon Cripple Hammer has struck again!

Again...I'm sure that the Canon video camera division managers and sales people are sleeping perfectly fine tonight.

CT

Curious why you think the overheating issue will be a problem for wildlife? I'm new to this but what I've done are very short clips when the animal does something interesting or maybe a fly-by. I'm lucky if they last a minute. I would think the autofocus of this camera sets it apart from everything else.

Ted

• Administrators
8 minutes ago, Neumann Films said:

Here is the work that I will be using it for that it makes perfect sense to utilize:

- Short Films

- Music Videos

- Commercials

- Stock Footage

- Pro Stills

- BTS

- YouTube videos

I previously used a RED Helium for this work and just sold it for this. That saved me $25,000.

I don’t do weddings or corporate stuff so it’s not an issue for me. You know how you overcome little issues like overheating? You practice and use the camera enough to know it’s quirks and then you shoot/plan around them.

"Little issues"

Is it just me or does the information I posted on the blog post indicate a complete show-stopper of an issue?

Even a music video shoot can take for hours where the camera is constantly turned on. One take after another. I can see the overheating problem happening then too, about an hour into the shoot if the camera has been busy, and not just in 8K. The oversampled 4K and 4K/60p are a problem too.

The heat build up from multiple short clips will most likely be similar to the continuous recording issue.

It was with the A6300.

So I'd highly recommend seeing if it is up to the job before committing to it and selling RED gear.

You'd expect for £4000 the Canon would provide a bullet proof professional 4K camera - it's what we expect.

But it seems they forgot the bulletproof bit this time.

Bit of a u-turn hey?

6 minutes ago, Cliff Totten said:

The Canon Cripple Hammer has struck again!

This time it's the Canon Cripple Flamethrower!

FEEL THE HEAT

I mean...sigh...this is not the end of the world, I guess. You "CAN" still use the R5 for events if you plan it carefully.

Stage play - Use 2 R5's and start one 10 min later than the other. This allows one to force time stop before the other. Then just stager the record start/stops back and forth between them.

Your kids school singing play - Time your record stop when some other kid is singing to as to make sure your time is rationed in favor of your kids performance.

Wedding - Plan in advance with the priest. Setup a hand signal to let him know you are stopping. This triggers him to tell the audience...."we will now have a moment of silence for the bride and groom"...assuming the room is not hot, you can stop/start again without missing anything.

See?....the R5 "IS" doable if you PLAN your work and RATION your time wisely.

CT