Canon EOS R5 has serious overheating issues – in both 4K and 8K

Andrew Reid

22 minutes ago, Lars Steenhoff said:

There is such a thing called enviromental temperature, yes in the desert you will overheat quickly,  this does not mean it will overheat in a siberian winter too.

This should be tested in realworld environments to see how bad it is

Clearly environmental factors play a role... Andrew K @5:06 says that over the three days he had with the R5,  the camera did not overheat.  

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
  • Administrators
9 minutes ago, mechanicalEYE said:

Clearly environmental factors play a role... Andrew K @5:06 says that over the three days he had with the R5,  the camera did not overheat.  

He then says in next sentence that he hasn't had the chance to record for a very long time 😂

And that Canon hadn't put a recording limit on it.

Which isn't true.

Besides it's the usual marketing video, so he ain't saying what modes, how long he recorded in 8K and 4K for, what the ambient temps were (looks fucking freezing from the location) or any other meaningful info that would have helped users to know the score.

Typical hype piece.

29 minutes ago, Andrew Reid said:

He then says in next sentence that he hasn't had the chance to record for a very long time 😂

And that Canon hadn't put a recording limit on it.

Which isn't true.

Besides it's the usual marketing video, so he ain't saying what modes, how long he recorded in 8K and 4K for, what the ambient temps were (looks fucking freezing from the location) or any other meaningful info that would have helped users to know the score.

Typical hype piece.

Yes, I'm aware he did say that but having the camera for three days and producing something with it,
I assumed he meant that the 3 days time he had the camera wasn't long enough to speak to every situation.  That said, I get it Andrew...  you think its unusable, and unacceptable. We'll see. My post wasn't intended to change your mind.

Andrew, I love you buddy but...this has to be a satirical post. 🙂

You have criticized Canon for a lack of innovation more than anyone. They overachieve and bring an innovative and groundbreaking piece of tech at well under market price and you’re focusing on the only “con”. They deserve credit for this. It’s pretty jaw dropping on paper.

1 hour ago, Cliff Totten said:

Yup,...that heat has to go somewhere. Without a fan, how else were they supposed to move it out of the body? Some people claimed that Canon developed some kind of new magic metal heat pipe tied to an invisible heat system. To most of us here, this was absolutely expected. Lumix did the right thing buy using a REAL active cooling system for unlimited 6k recording.

Something else. Canon and Sony can allow their sensors to run hot. But, hot sensors are NOISY sensors. More heat causes more noise. Cool sensors are cleaner sensors. This is why most large sensor camcorders have fans. To keep their hot sensors running cooler and cleaner.

Major screw up Canon. Let's see how that R6 runs.

I am sympathetic that this is not the be-all-end-all camera for everyone, but ya'll have to understand the compromises you're talking about would make this camera a *deal-breaker* for it's primary market. How would you like canon to address this? A fan is a *deal-breaker* for a lot of 5D shooters. Fewer MP is a *deal-breaker* for a lot of 5D shooters who are already calling this camera "nerfed to please the video crowd, they should have given us 80+ megapixels"

Again, not saying anyone here is wrong: If a camera doesn't meet your needs don't buy it, but you need to keep a little perspective in mind when dropping lines like "Major screw up"

Will wait to see more tests on both overheating and rolling shutter before writing the camera off completely. The record limits are the same as every other manufacturer besides Panasonic.  

For paid video work, I'd definitely only incorporate R5 as a B-Cam to another Canon C-series camera, so for 20-30 second gimbal shots or low-key b-roll shots, it will certainly be up to the task. 

Wonder if the R6 will have any overheating issues. Still a few more weeks/months before we have all the answers. 

8 minutes ago, Neumann Films said:

You have criticized Canon for a lack of innovation more than anyone. They overachieve and bring an innovative and groundbreaking piece of tech at well under market price and you’re focusing on the only “con”. They deserve credit for this. It’s pretty jaw dropping on paper.

If rolling shutter is an issue, then its not the only con.  Also some of the bitrates are a tad unusable for general purpose.  

Groundbreaking yes, innovative, yes, perfect, no.  

Amongst the hype, its important the negatives get good attention.  Because I could in a year from now be hiring a guy as a 2nd shooter, who uses this camera  and I'll need to know the weaknesses if or when I do.

7 minutes ago, SteveV4D said:

If rolling shutter is an issue, then its not the only con.  Also some of the bitrates are a tad unusable for general purpose.  

Groundbreaking yes, innovative, yes, perfect, no.  

Amongst the hype, its important the negatives get good attention.  Because I could in a year from now be hiring a guy as a 2nd shooter, who uses this camera  and I'll need to know the weaknesses if or when I do.

Rolling shutter exists on every camera. No camera is perfect. For the price this is an incredible achievement by Canon. Whether or not it makes sense for everyone is irrelevant. It’s an incredible piece of technology at a surprisingly low price.

• Administrators

Rolling shutter isn't on all cameras, some have global shutter!

Here is a £550 smartphone that shoots 8K H.265 in a much smaller chassis

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Xiaomi-128GB-Twilight-Grey(UK-VERSION)/dp/B08814LC74/ref=sr_1_2?dchild=1&keywords=xiaomi+mi+10+pro&qid=1594321255&sr=8-2

Why is that image processor not overheating?

The R5 is a brick in comparison, with space for potential solutions like heat sinks, heat pipes and more space for the electronics.

So why doesn't it work?

Plus it is £4000 and at that price reliability is vital.

4 minutes ago, Andrew Reid said:

Here is a £550 smartphone that shoots 8K H.265 in a much smaller chassis

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Xiaomi-128GB-Twilight-Grey(UK-VERSION)/dp/B08814LC74/ref=sr_1_2?dchild=1&keywords=xiaomi+mi+10+pro&qid=1594321255&sr=8-2

Why is that image processor not overheating?

Surely you are trolling here and can not be serious.

• Administrators
39 minutes ago, Neumann Films said:

The overheating information comes from a very good source, who tested the camera.

CVP in the UK.

Are you saying I should sit on this and not give it any attention? Not sure how that serves anybody.

I have criticised Canon that's true... And finally they bring very good specs on paper to the table.

But if it isn't fit for purpose on a shoot or on a set - how is it innovative or groundbreaking then?

I can claim on paper to be the first camera nerd to go to the moon and set out on the journey tomorrow from my back yard but if the rocket can't get off the ground, there's not much groundbreaking about it is there?

"Under market price" not sure about that - It is top of the market pricing for a full frame mirrorless camera with only 3 that are more expensive (one of them is a Leica).

In terms of an 8K cinema camera yes it is cheaper than a RED.

But it does't work, does it?

So the mission to the moon is not accomplished.

I totally agree with you Andrew, the R5 is a pro camera with regards to pricing and as a stills camera it certainly seems to fit the bill, but as a cinema tool or a documentary video camera it’s seems to me that it’s not reliable enough for a wide variety of applications. 

The overheating notwithstanding, really I think it makes a remarkable difference if a camera has 24 ms or 30ms readout speed in video.

As a youtube camera it’s probably great, certainly if you’re a “creator” which basically means reviewing gear with the intent of creating good little consumers out of your followers.

17 minutes ago, Neumann Films said:

Rolling shutter exists on every camera. No camera is perfect. For the price this is an incredible achievement by Canon. Whether or not it makes sense for everyone is irrelevant. It’s an incredible piece of technology at a surprisingly low price.

Rolling shutter isn't a single figure, but a range that goes from good to bad to awful.  How it sits compared to others will and should be judged.

As for whether is makes sense to everyone being irrelevant, er no.  Its very relevant.  And we are not talking about making sense.  We are talking about a tool that has features that are useful to video shooting and issues that could potentially affect video shooting.  This is relevant.  

An incredible piece of technology is in no doubt.  A good price is down to where you buy it and how important the camera could be for your work.  

The hype is also in no doubt.  Some of us would like to look beyond the hype. 😉

• Administrators
Just now, Mike Mgee said:

Surely you are trolling here and can not be serious.

Surely you should get a better understanding of how CPUs and hardware H.265 encoders work.

The H.265 encoder applies the same complex compression formula to the same number of pixels, be it with 8K in a smartphone or 8K in something else.

H.265 is basically an iPhone codec.

It isn't ProRes!

It remains a possibility that the EOS R5 sensor is the limitation, as a hot sensor has greatly increased readout noise.

But usually the mainboard LSI, RAM and CPU and the hottest and most power hungry areas in a mirrorless camera.

On RS ,and I'm purely speculating here is that in FF 4k oversampling will be bad 30ms.... and if you turn off oversampling then it would be good or very good as it can do 60 and 120fps with AF...... let see when people test out and see what is the price in term of quality....