Canon EOS R5 has serious overheating issues – in both 4K and 8K

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
  • Administrators
7 minutes ago, Lars Steenhoff said:

Let's wait and see for this one.

Normal 4k does not seem to overheat  only the 8k oversampled 4k

Did you read the article?

The 4K/60p and 4K/30/25p/24p overheats in a similar way to the 8K.

Instead of 20 minutes it is 30 minutes.

Once the overheating warning comes on, you're basically screwed. Shoot over. You have to wait 10 minutes and then the 30 minutes cap becomes 10 minutes!

This rules the EOS R5 for a vast array of work.

No interviews.

No wildlife.

No live events, no weddings.

And we have yet to see if the overheating warning comes on during normal sustained use without long continuous takes. If we shoot in 10 second bursts but leave small gaps in-between takes, will the time add up eventually to 20 or 30 minutes and the same heat situation rear its head?

6 minutes ago, wolf33d said:

I don't care about long recording, I never record more than a minute. Quick succession of 1min recording clips could be an issue though. But it cannot be worst than continuous. So it should be fine. 

I would wait to see what Sony has in the pipeline.

Overheating cannot be ruled out with quick successions of shorter clips either.

As was the case with our famous friend, the Sony A6500.

That's some serious issue. But if you're shooting that kind of content this camera it's probably not for you.

For me this is not an issue because I mostly shoot short clips (30 sec to 1 minute, and some short interviews of no more than 10 minutes), so if your're shooting short content for ads or commercial or narrative work you should be ok. Unless you're shooting at 40ºC I think?

4 minutes ago, Andrew Reid said:

I would wait to see what Sony has in the pipeline.

Overheating cannot be ruled out with quick successions of shorter clips either.

As was the case with our famous friend, the Sony A6500.

My main concern is the 4K120p file size. Why on earth no IPB at 1/3 the file size like ANY other modes including 8K. WTF... 

Yeah Sony will have a better sensor like usual, better DR in stills, best of both world with the dual mpx of quad bayer, like having an R6 and R5 together. BUT ergonomics might be worst, color science might be worst, please of use and menus might be worst, and IBIS might be worst. I did not care for those when Canon was delivering 0 on other specs, but now that Canon delivers on specs those Sony issues cannot be ignored. 

• Administrators

How can anybody trust it for paid work with this problem?

It is unworkable on set.

Imagine telling the entire crew and actors to go and sit down with a cup of tea for 20 minutes while the camera cools off?

No wonder Canon does not consider the EOS R5 specs to cannibalise the Cinema EOS series.

This guy's reply said it best:

Yup,...that heat has to go somewhere. Without a fan, how else were they supposed to move it out of the body? Some people claimed that Canon developed some kind of new magic metal heat pipe tied to an invisible heat system. To most of us here, this was absolutely expected. Lumix did the right thing buy using a REAL active cooling system for unlimited 6k recording.

Something else. Canon and Sony can allow their sensors to run hot. But, hot sensors are NOISY sensors. More heat causes more noise. Cool sensors are cleaner sensors. This is why most large sensor camcorders have fans. To keep their hot sensors running cooler and cleaner.

Major screw up Canon. Let's see how that R6 runs.

3 minutes ago, Andrew Reid said:

How can anybody trust it for paid work with this problem?

It is unworkable on set.

Imagine telling the entire crew and actors to go and sit down with a cup of tea for 20 minutes while the camera cools off?

You will surely have some other alternatives on set. Horses for courses : -)

• Administrators

Magic metal heat pipe. If you look at laptops they have copper heat pipes to move heat out from the critical components and towards the edges of the chassis where there are radiators, vents and fans.

Not much magic about it, it is standard practice in the electronics industry.

Canon for whatever reason did not bother to implement the required cooling on the EOS R5, likely to keep size, weight and cost down. Also, with it being weather sealed, a fan and vent is a tricky thing to engineer. However the Panasonic S1H managed it without compromising weather sealing much.

2 minutes ago, Emanuel said:

You will surely have some other alternatives on set. Horses for courses : -)

So the camera randomly shutting down in the middle of a very important take is fine then?

"Hey we lost the shot!"

"But that's ok"

"Let's switch to that ALEXA waiting in the corner!"

Who runs a production like this?

4 minutes ago, Andrew Reid said:

Magic metal heat pipe. If you look at laptops they have copper heat pipes to move heat out from the critical components and towards the edges of the chassis where there are radiators, vents and fans.

Not much magic about it, it is standard practice in the electronics industry.

Canon for whatever reason did not bother to implement the required cooling on the EOS R5, likely to keep size, weight and cost down. Also, with it being weather sealed, a fan and vent is a tricky thing to engineer. However the Panasonic S1H managed it without compromising weather sealing much.

So the camera randomly shutting down in the middle of a very important take is fine then?

"Hey we lost the shot!"

"But that's ok"

Why would you shoot on set with a Canon R5 if you know that the camera needs to be on always on? If you have budget for a studio, crew and talent, you sure have enough money to rent a better camera for the job.

37 minutes ago, Andrew Reid said:

"Hey we lost the shot!"

"But that's ok"

Not need an Alexa this one won't replace for sure : ) I am mostly seeing it as the perfect hybrid tool now. I wouldn't replace the Blackmagic ones used on set, of course. But you will also be in trouble if you go nowadays to a production with just a single one or even without more than a couple of camera units as part of your Plan B, as well : -)

31 minutes ago, Coiii said:

Why would you shoot on set with a Canon R5 if you know that the camera needs to be on always on? If you have budget for a studio, crew and talent, you sure have enough money to rent a better camera for the job.

Indeed. This is not the cinema camera per se. Just a new tool I see a pretty neat usage as quite handy hybrid swiss-knife for a lonely shooter without needing for long takes.

• Administrators

It's not about having just one camera - two, three, A and B, all fine...

It's about getting through a take!

Which you may not be able to do with EOS R5. So what's it doing on set at all?

5 minutes ago, Coiii said:

Why would you shoot with an R5 at all if there's even remotely a chance that it'll overheat? 

I am not much of a filmmaker, I've only recently started dabbling in that aspect, but for event filming, corporate, commercial work and interviews I don't turn off the camera unless I absolutely have to. Is it common to turn cameras on and off on a film set?