Canon EOS R5 has serious overheating issues – in both 4K and 8K

Andrew Reid

I tried to edit one of those 4k 120p clips. Egads! Davinci Resolve on my Mac just choked. I've not had that problem with Zcam E2 4k 120p files. Works like a charm. Has anyone else tried to edit the 4k 120p samples from the R5?

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
35 minutes ago, ajay said:

I tried to edit one of those 4k 120p clips. Egads! Davinci Resolve on my Mac just choked. I've not had that problem with Zcam E2 4k 120p files. Works like a charm. Has anyone else tried to edit the 4k 120p samples from the R5?

what spec?

Messed around with 5 of the clips on my Mac, FCPX no issue.

17 minutes ago, mechanicalEYE said:

what spec?

Messed around with 5 of the clips on my Mac, FCPX no issue.

It could be my Mac is getting old in years. I have 40GB of memory, 3.8 GHz Quad Core Intel i5 with a Radeon Pro 580 8GB graphics card.

I found a workaround. If I right click on the clip, there's an option to optimize the media. It took about 4 min to optimize a 20 sec clip and now it plays properly within Resolve.

I did also render the 20 sec clip and it took 4 min and the fan revved up while processing the clip. It's definitely taxing my system.

The clip is certainly beautiful. Easy to grade, lovely Canon colors. Really looks nice! But...it's another step I have to take that I don't have to now with the Z cam and processing time for such a short clip would mean astronomical processing time for fully edited, long videos.

2 hours ago, Lux Shots said:

Stunning? You really think this is stunning? Every camera looks good on an overcast day with limited dynamic range.

Looks stunning to me as well.  Interesting how it seems people on the internet these days get more frustrated when people saying something positive, rather than getting frustrated at people for saying something negative. Here, let me chime in - I don't give a shit what the weather is like. I don't give a shit what every other camera does. This particular footage looks "stunning" to me as well. The colors look fantastic, with great skin tones. It's not overly sharp like certain other cameras with a nice smooth/cinematic feel to the footage and it has great motion cadence. To my eyes, who has shot and watched thousands of clips from various manufacturer - it seems to  hit above its weight class on just what I'm seeing in this video and the clips that I have downloaded. Super easy to grade and it looks very similar to my C200 files. I can appreciate the S1H AND Canon R5 or any other camera. 

24 minutes ago, crevice said:

This particular footage looks "stunning" to me as well. The colors look fantastic, with great skin tones. It's not overly sharp like certain other cameras with a nice smooth/cinematic feel to the footage and it has great motion cadence. 

To be honest, slowmo always gives a more cinematic feel, which is why it gets overused, and a cameras motion cadence isn't best judged on slowmo footage anyway, especially if shot at 120fps.  I'd be intrigued to see 24p footage to see how well the camera performs there.

Colours and skins tones are a given for a Canon camera at this price point.  I'd be surprised if they were less than fantastic.

The footage looks really good indeed. But that latest official statement by Canon is a joke. Did they actually suggested to use an external fan? Lol. Now people are making jokes about wet towels wrapped around R5.

They are aggressively marketing this body as an 8K camera for the past six months so it’s quite fair for anyone to expect, well… a camera. Great tool, bad marketing.

12 minutes ago, Dimitris Stasinos said:

The footage looks really good indeed. But that latest official statement by Canon is a joke. Did they actually suggested to use an external fan? Lol. Now people are making jokes about wet towels wrapped around R5.

Its been suggested this is a good travel camera due to features and its small size.  I must admit I've never packed a large fan when off travelling.  

Its funny how some say they are glad Canon didn't add an internal fan, as it keeps the camera smaller; only for Canon to suggest using an external one.  🙄

Well now I have had time to look closer at and consider it, for my needs, it has to be a contender...if not the outright current leader.

I'm a hybrid wedding shooter and I estimate I'm shooting maybe 70-75% stills and 25-30% video clips, rarely longer than 10 seconds, throughout a typical 9-12 hour day.

I habitually switch off between shots/clips. Always have done as a Fuji shooter so would almost certainly continue that practise.

Ideally, I'd like to replace what was 3 bodies and is now 2 with just a single and the R5 plus 28-70mm f2 plus battery grip with; 4k 60p 10 bit internal, backup/write 2 card slots, great IBIS, great AF, great colour...

Closest I can get right now is XT4 with 16-55mm f2.8 with a couple of IBIS and AF niggles, greater lens range, but a couple of stops less DOF.

I'm looking forward to some real world, non-sponsored reviews over the next up to 9 months and also waiting to see what Nikon's Z6s and Fujis XH2 are and then will make a decision but for my needs, I think we are just about there.

I'll continue using a camcorder on a tripod for longer stuff such as ceremonies and speeches, though may update what it is to something more capable than I have now.

I realistically think this whole overheating this IS an issue, but only for longer and continual type use, but time will tell...

5 hours ago, Lux Shots said:

Stunning? You really think this is stunning? Every camera looks good on an overcast day with limited dynamic range.

Yeah, I do. Is that ok? 😉

And not every camera ‘looks good on an overcast day...’ - you know there’s more to a picture than DR. There’s one thing being sassy, which I dig, but there’s no need to be silly.

Me enjoying this image doesn’t make your GH5S any worse. Does it make you feel better to know I’m not buying the R5? Doesn’t mean I can’t appreciate this footage.

I'm looking for run and gun travelogue stuff + stills and the R6 running 4K60 at 29 mins max would be fine for me assuming recording time is accurate. Also need to see what actually causes rolling shutter, the examples I've seen on the R5 that have caused RS look unrealistic to me, I'd never whip pan like that.

Having IPB at that frame isn't great but I can probably live with that. We'll see what the A7S3 looks like, but I can't see the AF, IBIS, form factor and general usability being as good as the R6/5 if history is anything to go by. The Sony menus have (historically) been painful and the A7's don't feel great in the hands, to me anyway.

The focus on frame rates and pixel counts etc seem all consuming but I think useability is underrated. The bang for buck on the Sony's is great, market leading, but in terms of overall package R6 looks good *on paper*.  We'll see.

• Super Members
15 hours ago, MrSMW said:

Hugh Brownstone on 3BM&E just made a video on The Tube that mentions this but not finished watching it all yet.

I enjoy his channel but if ever there was a wrong camera for him it is this one as it would have overheated by the time he got to his second point.