Canon EOS R5 has serious overheating issues – in both 4K and 8K

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
6 minutes ago, Super8 said:

Where do you see DR comparisons in that video?

I believe he was joking as judging dr by comparing the image on lcds from a yt video with the sh1 at -1 EV and R5 at +0.7 seems the most silly thing ever to do....

3 hours ago, mechanicalEYE said:

@1:07

F.........K canon, R6 is even worst than R5 managing the heat. We are screwed, I can't work with these cameras unless there is an alternative solution, external recording maybe?, cage with fan?, ohh gosh, what a mess!!!

39 minutes ago, hijodeibn said:

F.........K canon, R6 is even worst than R5 managing the heat. We are screwed, I can't work with these cameras unless there is an alternative solution, external recording maybe?, cage with fan?, ohh gosh, what a mess!!!

R5 can do unlimited 4K30P under 32C at out door full sun no problem as tested by another R5 tester in the other r5 thread ( there is too many r5/r6 threads to go through)

R6 can probably do unlimited 4K30p on crop mode as no oversampling on that, but that will have to be tested

38 minutes ago, hijodeibn said:

The people who modded the A6300 to work with a fan had to actually open up the camera for the fan to be effective. I'd imagine it would be the same with this. I guess its doable under decent conditions (dust or rain would kill it). 
External recorders work to bypass overheating on Sony cameras though so I am sure its the same with this. The Ninja V is only $500, not too bad. Then you get Prores which is superior for editing anyways. 

1 minute ago, ntblowz said:

R5 can do unlimited 4K30P under 32C at out door full sun no problem as tested by another R5 tester.

Its just unfortunate the R6 can't handle the same as its quite a bit cheaper and makes more sense for most people's needs.

2 minutes ago, thebrothersthre3 said:

Its just unfortunate the R6 can't handle the same as its quite a bit cheaper and makes more sense for most people's needs.

R6 on 4K cropped could do unlimited as that will be either 1:1 or slight upscaling like the M50 in 4k, just need people to test that mode.

33 minutes ago, padam said:

They claim the same here, 90 minutes for line-skipped 4k30p recording

If we film the same footage with the R5 vs the S1H and R5 has Canon's secret sauce color science, then my footage will be better with the R5.  Plus the missed AF shots on the S1H won't be usable.  

Color and image quality are still what matters to clients and to the art of film making.  No one, no one cares how you get great footage.  

If the R5 is unusable, all of you will hear it from me.  

Record limits suck, but its not the end of the world to just press record again. We've all been dealing with 15-20 minute record limits on many cameras. Overheating though is an issue because you can't just press record again if the camera is powered off from overheating and needs 15 minutes to cool down. 

Sounds like their are resolution options that don't overheat so its really not bad. Who shoots at over 4k 30p for most stuff anyways? Lots of people do so they'll just have to get something else. 

I am really thinking about getting an R6 plus Ninja V. Having something with reliable auto focus and 10 bit is huge for under 3k. 

If Fuji can up their Auto Focus game I'll gladly throw my money their way. That goes for Panasonic or Blackmagic!

32 minutes ago, thebrothersthre3 said:

I forgot about that. Fuck Canon for that one. 

Micro HDMI is unacceptable. 

Fuck again Canon, crap micro HDMI screwed up even more, anyone here know if an Atomo Ninja Assassin will work with the R6?

If they release the rumored firmware that adds Clog3 for more DR and If you have no temperature limits on pixel binned 4K modes, then the R5 is the camera to get for people with RF or EF glass.

The more we learn of the R6 the less of a bargain it becomes.

I wouldn’t plug anything into that micro hdmi port. They switched to the micro hdmi port for a reason. HINT: it wasn’t space savings. 

At first I didn't care about overheating because I rarely shoot clips of more than 1 minute, but after more reviews and tests this is looking really bad. I didn't expected overheating for the R6 so... I don't know, how Canon can fix this? I mean, I can totally understand the 8K recording limit/overheating because I'm not naive and of course heat will be an issue on a body like that... 

I'm trying to be optimistic here because I think that we all want better tools, but at least for me the R6 is not longer an option because the overheating issues and no All-I...

And the R5? I really can't forgive Canon to not solve the overheating at 4K full quality. So, how can they fix that? One idea is maybe enable an APSC/S35 mode at full quality to not stress the 8K full sensor? Add CLog3 as an apology?

It seems like the pixel-binned 4K mode doesn't have heat issues (at normal frame rates). That makes the camera usable as far as I'm concerned. All the high speed modes and 8K are for specialty shots anyway. Canon definitely over-hyped the 8K RAW, but as long as it can shoot uncropped 4K reliably, I'm happy. 

5 hours ago, Responder said:

For me, being able to take a photo, and then take a video in that same location with 8k footage will unlock tremendous creative possibilities.

My phone can take a photo and a video at the same location.  So can nearly the majority of DLSRs and mirrorless cameras out there.  That function isn't new.  We've had it for years. 🤣

I'm curious, what exactly are the creative possibilities that shooting 8K will unlock for you?  Will it make you a better storyteller, a better editor, will it turn you into Vincent Foret?  

So far that I can see, you have excessive rolling shutter and a camera that could shut down at any given moment.  Doesn't sound creative inspiring to me.  Do you own an 8K TV? That would be a clincher.  When 4K came out on 2014, I was shooting and watching 4K content by Christmas.  What's the appeal in shooting 8K  if you can't watch it back in 8K?

I've been shooting exclusively 4K since 2014, yet the vast majority of my clients and family have only ever seen my work in HD.  The idea of shooting 8K, only to have them watch badly compressed HD on YouTube from my masters would be soul destroying.

Don't get me wrong, like any film nerd, the idea of shooting 8K and watching it back on an 8K screen has a certain appeal.  

But I feel the only change for now will be that instead of us watching other peoples boring travel, family and cat videos in HD that was shot in 4K, I'll be watching boring travel, family and cat videos in HD shot in 8K.

Having pre-ordered both the R5 and R6 as a tiny deposit, while i decided to get them or not, I have to say as someone who make a living with video, so far I'm concerned. 

This post includes some negativity, so I just want to make it clear that having pre-ordered them for very specific reasons I want these cameras to work well.

What it looks like.

We can only speculate, but it looks like these cameras will be either transformational or a disaster depending on their use. 

I think both @Neumann Films and @Andrew Reid have good perspectives - this is how I see it. 

The R5 (and the R6) look like a marvel on paper - finally the hybrid that supposedly does everything and potentially makes creating professional video very, very liberating. Very well done Canon for waking up. 

But is it a kick in the balls? 

A couple of years back, I was using the A7SII and A6500 in my camera bag. They overheated twice (amongst many many shoots), and it was annoying as it stopped the shoot and made us go behind schedule. 

With 4k60p and 4k120 being a staple feature on many brand and music video shoots, the question is how many bursts can it handle on a fast paced shoot? I do think it will be mostly fine, as shots come in short bursts and there's gaps between setting up a new shot, the potential issue is still there. Although my EVA1 doesn't have DPAF, IBIS or a full frame - it doesn't even flinch on a shoot and I have no worries. Same with the GH5. The potential of overheating in the back of my mine is certainly not a worry i want to have. Especially with client money on the table. 

I think the issue is that when people are spending a few grand on a camera, with very expensive lenses and accessories, they expect it to work for most scenarios and not have to worry about the camera having a tantrum. It's one less camera to buy and carry if you wish to do longer form content like interviews. I see people saying "buy a C300". For many, it's just not realistic. 

For most things that are not very short bursts, the R6 looks like a complete write off. On paper, there's no chance that camera could keep up with multiple, consistent takes. 

Also for those expecting to shoot continuous 8k RAW, go and see your Doctor. 😉

Questions?

As some of you may know, having an external monitor at least on the hot shoe during a professional shoot is pretty much essential. Also, recording to an edit friendly codec like ProRes is sometimes a great necessity. External recording would be a fine "workaround", if you could still get the benefits of the EOS R bodies (as long as you have a HDMI lock) This will be the pressing questions for most professional shooters intending to use this system.

How long can it go in continuous bursts shooting 4k60? Someone with a body needs to test this. 

Usage

The R5 will be fine for a lot of things, but I think it will be very popular on big movies as a crash cam with that 8K RAW in such a small body.  It's very much a speciality mode that I'm sure will be used on many movie sets. 

The R6, I'm not so sure. 

There's other cameras out there (Zcam E2-M4 - £1300 camera with 4k160fps 10 bit), although nothing will match the R5 if overheating can be managed.

Let's hope the climax to this story is a good one.  

Tets, tests, tests.